Green Bay Packers: QB DeShone Kizer Could Be a Diamond in the Rough

Bob Fox

Speed read the Kizer part (skimmed that beginning, just wanted to see the DK stuff) Tend to agree, there's talent. 

I like him a lot physically, even if he's not a  total freak or anything for a QB. Hope he can work on his footwork, that's messy. He just needs to see it better, you could see this at ND. I'm not sure the processing skills will ever get there.

Good write up Bob.

Kizer's bigger than I thought. He's actually bigger than AR.

"It’s also very important that the coaches get Kizer ready to play. That means hours of film study in the Green Bay quarterback school, which will now be led by new quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti Jr., formerly of the New York Giants coaching staff"

They need to *coach* him up. I've no clue how hard Hundley was ridden. Just felt a third year guy would have been more accomplished.

Kid was benched his last year at Notre Dame because he couldn't get "coached up".  Benched last year because he was unable to be "coached up".  GB had one backup quarterback with accuracy issues, now they have two.  I was not opposed to the trading of Randall, I am opposed to the return they got for him.

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Kid was benched his last year at Notre Dame because he couldn't get "coached up".  Benched last year because he was unable to be "coached up".  GB had one backup quarterback with accuracy issues, now they have two.  I was not opposed to the trading of Randall, I am opposed to the return they got for him.

Thats cool. I'm willing to let things play out. Kizer wasnt an All Star last year. Maybe he was a bit of a head case (thought too highly of himself....) coming out of college - maybe. Okay. Not career ending IMO....and somebody at 1265 thinks he's a good puzzle piece. Good enough for me at this stage. 

Head case is an understatement...what did he say, he's a cross between Cam Newton and Tom Brady???

If Mac had a real quarterback school, like he had in the old days, I'd be more excited for this.  But...he doesn't.  He has limited time with these kids.  And this kid needs a whole lot of individual attention to become a quarterback.

I'd rather have a better draft pick for Randall than someone else's draft mistake.  

Yeah .. I'm pretty skeptical about this addition as well .. just not sure we have the coaches who can get thru to the guy.  I don't think Kizer has near the work ethic of a guy like Aaron Rodgers.  Rodgers worked his butt off to become what he is today .. not sure Kizer is on that level when it comes to desire.  Who knows, maybe the right buttons will get pushed and the lights will come on for him ... not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. I'm pretty skeptical about this addition as well .. just not sure we have the coaches who can get thru to the guy.  I don't think Kizer has near the work ethic of a guy like Aaron Rodgers.  Rodgers worked his butt off to become what he is today .. not sure Kizer is on that level when it comes to desire.  Who knows, maybe the right buttons will get pushed and the lights will come on for him ... not holding my breath.

I don't think it is a coincidence that we haven't been able to groom a QB since Tom Clements left.

The only bright side I see to it is the fact that no matter what, GB wasn't picking up Randall's 5'th year option.  So, the player they got back has more time on his contract.  Just wish the player or pick would have been different.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

The only bright side I see to it is the fact that no matter what, GB wasn't picking up Randall's 5'th year option.  So, the player they got back has more time on his contract.  Just wish the player or pick would have been different.

You would think Gutey tried to trade Randall to other teams but who knows, perhaps this is the best deal he could get?

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Again, I'm not against the trade...I wish the return was better.  

I think it's pretty apparent they got exactly what they were looking for. They were so high on Kizer last year that they considered using the 33rd pick on him. Given their needs at the time, that's quite a statement. They must have REALLY liked him. They also have a current need at backup QB without a ton of cap space to address it with. They also made the valuable pick swap in rounds 4 and 5. All for a guy they were going to release if no team bit on him as trade bait.

Where they have left themselves open to criticism is if Kizer is a total flop. If that happens, they'll deserve all the criticism they'll no doubt get.

You talking about Randall or Kizer?  As far as a player to be released if no team bit on him as trade bait.  Cuz I easily see where Kizer could have simply been released and free to sign anywhere.

Fact is we traded a starting secondary player for a backup quarterback.  Forget moving up some 10+ spots in rounds 4 and 5, the tiering of players is very similar there.

The only way I will view this trade as a positive is if they can now take that fourth pick and our #14 pick and trade up in the draft to acquire a corner...Ward or Fitzpatrick.  

Here's why...I would trade #14 and Randall for Fitz or Ward, that's how much I like them.  Then Kizer is just a throw in on that deal.  

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You talking about Randall or Kizer?  As far as a player to be released if no team bit on him as trade bait.  Cuz I easily see where Kizer could have simply been released and free to sign anywhere.

Fact is we traded a starting secondary player for a backup quarterback.  Forget moving up some 10+ spots in rounds 4 and 5, the tiering of players is very similar there.

The only way I will view this trade as a positive is if they can now take that fourth pick and our #14 pick and trade up in the draft to acquire a corner...Ward or Fitzpatrick.  

Here's why...I would trade #14 and Randall for Fitz or Ward, that's how much I like them.  Then Kizer is just a throw in on that deal.  

It's been reported that the Packers were done with Randall. If they couldn't find a trade, they would have released him. I have heard no such reports that Kizer would have simply been released if the Browns couldn't trade him. Randall had apparently worn out his welcome with someone important (assuming McCarthy) and they just wanted him gone.

If you choose to have only one way to view this trade as a positive, that makes you a pretty narrow minded individual, imo. I can see many ways this trade turns into a positive. I can also see how it can turn out to be a negative. I'm in wait and see mode. Something I really wish more of you were capable of.

Archived