Green Bay Packers: QB DeShone Kizer Could Be a Diamond in the Rough

Bob Fox

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

So if we don't sign 3 FA db's season over? Can't get enough secondary folks to field a defense? Mail it in and try again in 2019? Can't draft any? These 3 specifically have to come from free agency? 

2 would be ideal because the position is so young. Though it's not unheard of that a rookie or 2 at corner could contribute.

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Kid was benched his last year at Notre Dame because he couldn't get "coached up".  Benched last year because he was unable to be "coached up".  GB had one backup quarterback with accuracy issues, now they have two.  I was not opposed to the trading of Randall, I am opposed to the return they got for him.

I was pretty amazed at some of the analyst talking about how Kizer had a decent game in the week 1 loss to the Steelers(20/30 222 1td 1 int, also 7 sacks maybe 5 were directly his fault).  Watching the entire game ( because I had Antonio Brown on my fantasy team :ph34r:) Kizer was the person to blame for taking too many sacks.  He held the ball for 7 seconds than would try to run away to make play only to get sacked.  Five seconds is an eternity in the NFL, Kizer couldn't do much with 7.  He did this multiple times in the game.  Also he missed some very simple short breaking routes or was extremely late on others causing the pass to be in traffic or behind making it for a near impossible catch for the WR.  What amazed me more was that none of these "processing" things got any better at the end of the year.

Herb Waters and Quentin Rollins are also potential depth. I know they had high hopes for Waters prior to his injury in camp last year. Rollins has been a bust, but h'e apparently going to get another chance. I'd love another free agent besides Colvin, who I mentioned. The problem is where does all this cap space come from? 

15 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

It's been reported that the Packers were done with Randall. If they couldn't find a trade, they would have released him. I have heard no such reports that Kizer would have simply been released if the Browns couldn't trade him. Randall had apparently worn out his welcome with someone important (assuming McCarthy) and they just wanted him gone.

If you choose to have only one way to view this trade as a positive, that makes you a pretty narrow minded individual, imo. I can see many ways this trade turns into a positive. I can also see how it can turn out to be a negative. I'm in wait and see mode. Something I really wish more of you were capable of.

So, you think that the Browns were going to hang onto Kizer, now that they have Tyrod in house and 2 picks in the top 4 to take their quarterback of the future?

You speak in terms of being "narrow minded", but the post you made here is full of it.  

4 hours ago, waterfish_21 said:

I was pretty amazed at some of the analyst talking about how Kizer had a decent game in the week 1 loss to the Steelers(20/30 222 1td 1 int, also 7 sacks maybe 5 were directly his fault).  Watching the entire game ( because I had Antonio Brown on my fantasy team :ph34r:) Kizer was the person to blame for taking too many sacks.  He held the ball for 7 seconds than would try to run away to make play only to get sacked.  Five seconds is an eternity in the NFL, Kizer couldn't do much with 7.  He did this multiple times in the game.  Also he missed some very simple short breaking routes or was extremely late on others causing the pass to be in traffic or behind making it for a near impossible catch for the WR.  What amazed me more was that none of these "processing" things got any better at the end of the year.

The bone that I can throw to Kizer is Mac.  But I'd feel better about Mac and the staff developing him, if they had the allowable time to do so.  Things just don't work they way they used to in that regard.

Read his scouting report.  Sounds pretty good.  He's smart that is the most important thing.  Kid is really young.  I am not expecting much but you take your shots maybe the kid will work out maybe he won't.  Think his experience in Cleveland should have humbled him.  The fact that Hundley didn't work out after 3 years doesn't give me much hope for Kizer but you just never know.  Kizer is not Hundley.

18 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I think it's pretty apparent they got exactly what they were looking for. They were so high on Kizer last year that they considered using the 33rd pick on him. Given their needs at the time, that's quite a statement. They must have REALLY liked him. They also have a current need at backup QB without a ton of cap space to address it with. They also made the valuable pick swap in rounds 4 and 5. All for a guy they were going to release if no team bit on him as trade bait.

Where they have left themselves open to criticism is if Kizer is a total flop. If that happens, they'll deserve all the criticism they'll no doubt get.

Yep, getting the Case Keenums and Nick Foles of the world would cost 15-20m per,  If Kizer or Hundley can be our backup for the next 2-4 years it saves us at least 4-6m to sign another DB like DRC or MC

2 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Yep, getting the Case Keenums and Nick Foles of the world would cost 15-20m per,  If Kizer or Hundley can be our backup for the next 2-4 years it saves us at least 4-6m to sign another DB like DRC or MC

But if you had Randall this year, he'd save you money over spending more on those guys, you still can save more but that has to factor in when you talk $$

Archived