Where are the tiers in this draft ?

OneTwoSixFive

I thought I would look at where (for me) the early tiers were. Looking at various sites big boards (GBN, Drafttek, NFL.com, CBS) there is a lot of variation where they think individuals go, so I cobbled one of my own together. Everyone will disagree with the exact ranking, but this is just my approximate idea of where I think the tiers lay - why not try to make your own version. I think Tony Pauline suggested two tiers, ending at pick 9 and 24, I broke it down more than that, but I do have a tier ending at picks 10 and 23, remarkably similar considering I never used that as any kind of guide.

The players within each tier are not in descending order of ability, as each tier should have roughly equivalent players. Some may think (for example) that Vea should be up one tier (I struggled with that one myself), or that Gesicki's name should be in the lowest tier...........whatever.

Tier one (3) Barkley, Nelson, Chubb

Tier two (3) Rosen, Allen, Darnold      This is an odd tier, because QBs always go so high, the top ones have their own tier

Tier three (4) Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, James, Ward

Tier four (13) Vea, Ridley, R.Smith, Guice, Davenport, Landry, J.Jackson, K.Miller, C.Williams, Payne, Mayfield, L.Jackson, J.Alexander

Tier five (19) R.Evans, I.Wynn, R.Jones, M.Hughes, McGlinchey, I.Oliver, C.Sutton, Kirk, D.J.Moore, Chark, Washington, M.Hurst, S.Michel, Goedert, C.Davis, Hernandez, Vander Esch, A.Key, T.Bryan

So does this give any insight (which is the whole point of me doing it). Well IF the tiers are somewhat accurate, the Packers first pick will be in tier 4 (assuming no trade). Ten players have gone in the first three tiers, and tier 4 extends from pick 11 down to pick 23. I don't see the Packers trading up above pick 11, but moving down a few spots looks like a good tactic - they could get a similar level player and get an extra quality pick (move down to #19 and get an extra top third of round 3 pick).

I still advocate the Packers try to use some combination of their later picks  (their comp 4th, one or two of their 5ths, a 6th) to get higher picks in rounds two and three. I think they need four picks in the first three rounds, as high as they can get, while still keeping a pick left in each round. They also now have the first pick on day 3 (round 4, they should keep hold of that for several reasons).

Finally, if you add all those five tiers together you get 42. The Packers second round pick is at 45. That suggests to me it would be a good tactic to move up a few spots into tier 5 (cheaper than going up in round one), they have the ammuntion to do so while still keeping one pick in each later round.

There are many players that I think “fit” what the Packers are looking for in Tier 4 and 5.  So, would we be better off trading up to take one player in Tier 3 or trading back in round 1 and up in the later rounds to be in the position to draft 3 players from your list in Tier 5 and 5?  I would rather take a DB, TE, and an Edge in the first 2 rounds.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If we ranked crocodiles on a list would we call it crocodile tiers?

Gatorade was invented at the University of Florida and named after the school's mascot. If it was instead invented at Florida State University would they have called it Seminole Fluid?

12 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Gatorade was invented at the University of Florida and named after the school's mascot. If it was instead invented at Florida State University would they have called it Seminole Fluid?

Beyond that would anyone drink it:)

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

GAG

Archived