Saints resign Brees

whodatworm23

2 years 50 million with 27 million gaurenteed. Basically its a 1 year deal with a 2nd year team option with a no trade clause.

Good deal for both sides... Glazer says reunion with Jimmy Graham is piorioty. Also says Saints want a 3 tec and DB in FA.

I am equally pissy about this. I've never liked Condon. I'm surprised he "allowed" Peyton Manning to take a pay cut to go to the Broncos.

Both sides have leverage, but I think Brees has the most.

It also sucks for Ingram, going into his 7th season and in his absolute prime, likely will also have Brees for his 8th when Brees will be rapidly deteriorating, then will have to start playing with a new QB in the twilight of his own career. So basically he gets 1 more good year. That blows.

This is the time of year where I'd just release Brees and prep for starting from scratch - that is, if the contract talks aren't going smoothly. That's the part we don't know about, so I'll hold out hope that it's favorable for both sides.

16 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

It's irritating as a fan, but you can't blame a player for getting what he can get.

Agreed... Still, how do you think negotiations would have faired thus far if Mahomes was the Saints pick last year?

Not saying id have rathered him over Lattimore, just pointing out the power of having your replacement in the building gives the franchise.

25 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Agreed... Still, how do you think negotiations would have faired thus far if Mahomes was the Saints pick last year?

Not saying id have rathered him over Lattimore, just pointing out the power of having your replacement in the building gives the franchise.

Saints would have more leverage if they had a backup plan for sure, or even if we sucked again last year, since 40 year old Brees means nothing to a garbage team.  It just didn't work out that way though, and here we are again.

Im all for getting a replacement, but only if he's a legit replacement, I don't want somebody on the roster just to have leverage in Brees negotiations.  

My view is pay Brees what he wants and let's try to win it all next year. 

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Rumor is Brees and Saints have agreed to a 2 year 48 million deal... If thats the case its about 2 million less per year than i was expecting. Wonder if Brees left money on the table to facalite signing Jimmy Graham?

Very interesting. I'm not a "huge" fan of JG as a tight end, only because of his lack of blocking, but the guy was a baller and serious redzone threat.

How does a defense cover Michael Thomas, Jimmy Graham, Alvin Kamara, and yes, even 6'6" Coleman in the redzone? Throw in Ingram and Snead + Ginn. WOW!!!

I'd love to have Brees back at $48mil. Any of the Free Agent QB's are going to be $55-60mil for the same time period.

7 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

He just signed for $24m when he could've demanded $30. I wish we would stop blaming players for getting as much money as possible, I'd rather the players get the money than these multi-billion dollar organizations just getting more in their pocket. 

Twitter? Where are you seeing this?

34 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

He just signed for $24m when he could've demanded $30. I wish we would stop blaming players for getting as much money as possible, I'd rather the players get the money than these multi-billion dollar organizations just getting more in their pocket. 

To say that and not have bias towards the quarterback then you'd have to be a proponent of ditching the entire salary cap process altogether and if thats the case then its pointless being a small market teams fan.

43 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I wouldn't have had a problem with him getting more honestly.  I wouldn't have liked it, but it is what it is.  

If true I'm happy with the deal.

Its a 2 year deal worth 50 million... 27 gaurenteed. Basically a 1 year deal with a team option 2nd year and no trade clause.

Archived