Suh Gone.....

Rgossett07

Sometimes you just need to cut your losses.  His contract is holding the franchise back.  On paper, when Miami signed him, we all thought Wake would get 15-18 sacks per season.  Just never worked out.  They are leaking this early to see if anyone wants to give up compensation for him.  Doubt it but there are some teams with a ton of $$ out there that could easily take on his monster contract.

Suh's contract just didn't allow Miami to address other positions that needed to be addressed.  Always settling for B talent veteran guys that were past their prime. For those that are upset that Miami didnt bring back Landry, Suh's contract is a MAJOR (and only) reason why they couldn't.   

Pre June 1 - #3.9m in savings

Post June 1 - $17m savings

I do think we take less of a dead cap hit in 2019 if its pre June 1.  Godcheaux, Taylor and Phillips will need to step up.  

Just now, cddolphin said:

Cutler

That too.... HAHA.  Dolphins are realizing they aren't "just one player away".  They have major gaps.  Although I am excited about how the young secondary is shaping up.  I am excited about seeing what Raekwon can do.  Get these over 30 guys making waaaaay too much $$ off the books.  if you're 6-10, you should'nt have a contract like Suhs on the books.  

We have been leaking the release of Suh for a long time, but this is the first time that I absolutely believe it.  Rumor is that Suh isn’t a great locker room fit and Gase wants him gone.......of course his cap number has a lot to do with it too.

I never liked the signing of Suh and never for a minute did I believe he would make our team significantly better overall.  He’s been a great DT, but it’s just not that important of a poisition from the standpoint of impacting the game every play.  This is why There is no way in hell we should spend the number 11 pick on Vita Vea.  Top 15 picks should be focused on QB, OT, WR, DE, or CB.  There are exceptions to this rule, but Vea is no Aaron Donald.......nor is he a Roquan Smith, Quentin Nelson, or Saquon Barkley.  Vea should probably be a 1st round pick, he can play well in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, but we have a lot bigger needs than a DT and I would be shocked if we have him as the BPA at pick 11.

Suh is 31 this year it will be his 9th year in the league and he missed 4 games last year after not missing a single game the pervious 5 years. Suh is still a very good player but he is not worth what Miami will have to pay him at this point of his career. I am reading where the money and the locker room fit are more of the reason for his possibly being released then his on field performance. Remember he is not Gase's guy either.

6 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

Post June 1 - $17m savings

Are you sure about that number? I've seen something that suggested it would be quite a bit less. I'm thinking they'll do it next year, either way, but if that 17 is accurate, I'd pull the trigger come June 1...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Are you sure about that number? I've seen something that suggested it would be quite a bit less. I'm thinking they'll do it next year, either way, but if that 17 is accurate, I'd pull the trigger come June 1...

From everything I’ve read for the past few weeks, $17 Mil does appear to be the correct amount we would save by designating Suh a post June 01 cut.  In reality we can cut him now and just “designate” it after June 01.....so obviously we’re hoping for someone to give us something for him or for a miracle to happen and Suh to just restructure to way less money.

Other then the cost of Suh's contract I like the approach Miami used with him, sign proven FA that can come in and play and contribute in that second contract for 3 to 5 years and let them go. I am so sick of Miami signing guys in the last years of their career to big 2 years contracts and they only soak up the sun while in Miami and eat up roster spots for younger hungry guys.

Archived