DEN 2018 Roster Moves - June 12 - Clinton McDonald restructures 2018 deal

Broncofan

18 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If they don't extend Paradis this year he'll be gone next.

Part of the reason why I think we have to draft C/G this year - we don't know where our future lies in 2019 not just with our 1 G position, but here too.    If Paradis had played like his 2016 self in 2017, I think we'd already have an extension done this offseason.  But he really was nowhere near his old self last year.   DL's just ate him up.   Now Paradis' 2017 regression was almost all due to DL's just overpowering him time and again, and some loss in quickness.  But this can be explained in 1 of 2 ways:

1. He had no chance to participate in strength/conditioning last offseason, and so his lost power explained all of his 2017 struggles.  With a full offseason, he should return to 2015-16 form.  Very possible, and best-case for us.

2.  His hip surgeries (both were done) have left him with just enough loss in power/flexibility that he's just not the same.  Also very possible...and worst-case for us.

Both are viable explanations - so I actually get why Elway is waiting on having any extension discussions.  If he plays well, I can see the talks starting, but I think Elway wants to see how he plays in the first 4-6 weeks before committing.  I know this is a pet peeve of yours that Elway waits too long to extend guys - and in a vacuum, now that we're not in win-now mode like we were in 2015 and were all-in on present-year upgrades with the cap he had left, I agree with your position we should explore these deals now.

In this case, however, given the real risk Paradis' decline isn't just conditioning-related....I understand why he's waiting here.   If Paradis plays well in September, however, I'd certainly look to see where he's at extension-wise.

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Part of the reason why I think we have to draft C/G this year - we don't know where our future lies in 2019 not just with our 1 G position, but here too.    If Paradis had played like his 2016 self in 2017, I think we'd already have an extension done this offseason.  But he really was nowhere near his old self last year.   DL's just ate him up.   Now Paradis' 2017 regression was almost all due to DL's just overpowering him time and again, and some loss in quickness.  But this can be explained in 1 of 2 ways:

1. He had no chance to participate in strength/conditioning last offseason, and so his lost power explained all of his 2017 struggles.  With a full offseason, he should return to 2015-16 form.  Very possible, and best-case for us.

2.  His hip surgeries (both were done) have left him with just enough loss in power/flexibility that he's just not the same.  Also very possible...and worst-case for us.

Both are viable explanations - so I actually get why Elway is waiting on having any extension discussions.  If he plays well, I can see the talks starting, but I think Elway wants to see how he plays in the first 4-6 weeks before committing.  I know this is a pet peeve of yours that Elway waits too long to extend guys - and in a vacuum, now that we're not in win-now mode like we were in 2015 and were all-in on present-year upgrades with the cap he had left, I agree with your position we should explore these deals now.

In this case, however, given the real risk Paradis' decline isn't just conditioning-related....I understand why he's waiting here.   If Paradis plays well in September, however, I'd certainly look to see where he's at extension-wise.

Kinda why I like Billy Price. Our OT's get all the flack, but our interior overall sucked. Gave up way too much ground in pass pro. Never gave our QB's a pocket to step into. QB ends up a yard or two too deep and edge rushers clean up. That's why I really like Nelson. Draft him and that issue goes away.

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Kinda why I like Billy Price. Our OT's get all the flack, but our interior overall sucked. Gave up way too much ground in pass pro. Never gave our QB's a pocket to step into. QB ends up a yard or two too deep and edge rushers clean up. That's why I really like Nelson. Draft him and that issue goes away.

Do you like Hernandez or will he be over drafted?

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Do you like Hernandez or will he be over drafted?

I was really surprised by his combine. Strong we knew, his quickness and lateral mobility was a big question. He outdid himself. He'll need to get better with his hands but that can be done with good coaching. Once again, back to coaching. I sure hope our new OL staff is good. Our last one sucked.

Just now, AKRNA said:

I was really surprised by his combine. Strong we knew, his quickness and lateral mobility was a big question. He outdid himself. He'll need to get better with his hands but that can be done with good coaching. Once again, back to coaching. I sure hope our new OL staff is good. Our last one sucked.

If they're not other than Nelson we're screwed either way.

• 2 months later...

Nowhere specific to put this and doubt it’s worth a new thread by itself so I’ll post here & edit the OP.  

Clinton McDonald couldn’t pass his physical yesterday so his 4M contract got reworked (the opposite of guarantee for injury with Watson and the big name guys’ contract as his 1M bonus as part of his 2018 4M original contract was contingent on passing a physical, and basically he wasn't going to get it).   

Basically he gets the 3M he gives up if he plays all 16 games and almost half of that for making the 53-Man roster cut.    This is a good deal for us if McDonald doesn’t have anything left we save $ unless we pull a JC and keep him around but don’t use him.    Good cap management by Elway...we could certainly use it if McDonald isn’t back to full health.

Archived