Bears will use original tender WR Cameron Meredith, Bellamy and Cb Callahan

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

@49erurtaza - sorry to ask, can you change the title again?  LOOOL...

OK Bears fans - please explain this last decision to me.   Callahan was an excellent CB.  Why would you want teams to try and bid on him too?   No way you have the same injury concerns as Meredith.   And now you're risking a big jump in $ for 2 guys.   Again, all to save...1M.  From 2.9M to 1.9M.   The CB market, no way someone doesn't make bids.

I totally get Bellamy, he's JAG but cheap.  But this is even more mystifying than Meredith.   Is the FO that worried they'd be bidding against themselves?   Be careful what you wish for.

DEN could use a 3rd CB - I'd imagine Elway & about 25 other teams will kick the tires here.  O.o

Callahan was far from an ecxellent cb.  Hes a solid nb who had to fight off Leblanc in tc.  They want to keep him but again are content to let other teams set the market.  Having right of first refusal just means that the Bears can match any offer.  Its not rocket science.  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

OK Bears fans - please explain this last decision to me.   Callahan was an excellent CB.  Why would you want teams to try and bid on him too?   No way you have the same injury concerns as Meredith.   And now you're risking a big jump in $ for 2 guys.   Again, all to save...1M.  From 2.9M to 1.9M.   The CB market, no way someone doesn't make bids.

I totally get Bellamy, he's JAG but cheap.  But this is even more mystifying than Meredith.   Is the FO that worried they'd be bidding against themselves?   Be careful what you wish for.

DEN could use a 3rd CB - I'd imagine Elway & about 25 other teams will kick the tires here.  O.o

1) He is not an excellent corner. He CAN BE excellent in sub-packages but is also very inconsistent. 

2) Have you seen how deep the CB market is right now(not even counting the draft class)? There at least 30 other corners available within his age range that would garner much more interest. I highly doubt teams are going to tripping over themselves to sign a Bryce Callahan. 

That said, with Cooper all but gone I do think Pace should retain him.

I think Pace knows no one will throw a big deal for Meredith. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like 4 years, $12 mil offered though. Bears match and get him to stay. 

I expect him to be valued much higher next season after a year with Robinson attracting the top CB and at full health. This seems like a long term move Pace is making that might save at least $3+ mil per year during the length of the contract. 

Idk where anyone got that Callahan was excellent. In small sample sizes he had a few really solid stretches, but had some pretty bad lows too. He is talented but young and still learning. 

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So the market for Meredith opening up.   IND with 75M cap space and more teams lined up.  

The original round tender decision is going to be expensive.  Or result in his loss.  Bad decision to save 1M. 

Yeah a really stupid move imo. 

Archived