NCAA Tournament South Region Discussion

11sanchez11

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Bo Ryan's coaching style doesn't work in the tourney... or rather, it can allow teams to build great regular seasons while not being all that great. The last 5 years UVA has earned the following seeds: 1, 2, 1, 5, 1... They've only reached the elite 8 once, and it was in Brogdon's senior year. Look at the Wisconsin teams that made deep runs, and they had some great individual talents. Guys who could carry the offense.

but I feel like Bo did well in the tourney, at least against us he did lol.  

I really think the packline is a bad way to play defense, especially when you get game planned well. It has happened to us so many times.

My bracket is in shambles, and I don't even care.

Well done, Retrievers. Well done.

7 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Remember when we all thought Virginia 1, Zona 4 and Kentucky 5 was gonna be a murderer's row

Yeah, if anyone was gonna go down, it was gonna be Kentucky - Davidson looked hot.

But hey, they call it March Madness for a reason.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

but I feel like Bo did well in the tourney, at least against us he did lol.  

I really think the packline is a bad way to play defense, especially when you get game planned well. It has happened to us so many times.

I would say overall he was very successful in the tourney, and never had the same sustained regular season success as Bennett has had, but he made the tourney 14 times, mostly as an at-large, and failed to make it out of the first weekend half the time. Considering what he was working with, it's a miracle he made that many tournaments, and most of the teams predictably fell well short. I think Bennett is a tremendous coach, and suggesting this style of coaching doesn't work was wrong of me, but it really can hide a lack of talent, and I don't think you can keep hiding that in the tournament.

14 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

As a UMBC alumni who never attended a basketball game because they were so terrible, I am at a loss for words. This is FREAKING AMAZING!!!

UMBC! UMBC! UMBC!

ef31e045efd8b9e4c407f7d18d2edd3acbe91ae6

We're all retrievers today!!!

I didn't go to UMBC but I spent a lot of time on the campus with a bunch of friends and have some really strong memories to the campus and this is seriously incredible. What a night!

2 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think Bennett is a tremendous coach, and suggesting this style of coaching doesn't work was wrong of me, but it really can hide a lack of talent, and I don't think you can keep hiding that in the tournament.

I was agreeing with you btw. But I think you were talking about his offense and I was talking about the defensive scheme.

Archived