Free Agency News

Kmart128

2 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

In terms of actual raw production last year it goes: Hughes, Yarborough, Lawson, then Fede. Murphy was injured last year, but ln prior years he absolutely produced...as an OLB. Lewis is the only DE with any real weight at 270#, but has no real production. Capi weighs less than 250# and would beg to be ran at! Odi missed all of last year due to suspension and his production before that was minimal...4 tackles as a DE and 2 on ST over 2 years. Big whoop.

Though I am far more concerned about who starts at MLB, IMO we actually are pretty weak at DE. Starting Hughes makes sense given our roster, but I'd happily package him to move up to pick a QB. Lawson contains well vs the run, but he seems like a non-factor rushing the passer. Yarborough is a solid backup and financially makes sense. Murphy is quite strong and I hope he transitions well to DE...actually, it's looking like we need him to be effective there. The only argument I see for Lewis is if you put him in in goal line packages. I want to root for Capi, but at 247#, he has no business as a DE IMO. Makes more sense as a 3-4 OLB, though I'm so worried about our MLB spot, I'd give him reps there just to see how he responds...he's actually pretty agile for someone who runs a 4.7! LOL

I think Yarborough and Murphy are going to be really nice 3rd down options. Although Murphy is definitely making starter money so it'll be interesting to see how often he is in. 

I think you're over estimating size. Hughes is only a few pounds heavier than Capi and one of the Bills greats Aaron Schobel was listed as 245 playing weight. 

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Yeah... I'd rather use vet minimum on LBers, WRs, and OLine then use UDFA to grab a DE.  Just think that Fede is very unlikely to make the team and there was other positions we should try to fill before signing a 7th DE. If the rest of our roster was filled I wouldn't mind it but like you said we are no were near close to 90 guys which tells me that other positions are extremely low on players but we are adding a 7th DE.

Not a whole lot of those guys out there. Obviously Crompton and co wanted more money and/or were not a great fit. Don't see an issue bringing in a guy the front office knows and doesn't even count against the cap. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think Yarborough and Murphy are going to be really nice 3rd down options. Although Murphy is definitely making starter money so it'll be interesting to see how often he is in. 

I think you're over estimating size. Hughes is only a few pounds heavier than Capi and one of the Bills greats Aaron Schobel was listed as 245 playing weight. 

Admittedly, I may still be quite biased due to my preference for running odd fronts, which requires more massive players. And I honestly think Hughes is undersized/under-powered at this point in his career as well, which is why I wouldn't cry if he was traded away. Schobel was a very good player, but his weight to strength was far more of an exception, not the rule for a 4-3 DE, even just 10 years ago. Average weight for an NFL DE is 283#, but that doesn't separate out 3-4 vs. 4-3 DE's. A typical 4-3 DE in the NFL weighs around 265#. Typical OT's are closer to 315#...a big weight advantage over someone like Capi, who is just under 20# lighter than average at 247#. It's not realistic for him to bull rush, so he is limited to being a speed rusher on passing downs and realistically getting manhandled in most running plays.

11 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

It's not realistic for him to bull rush, so he is limited to being a speed rusher on passing downs and realistically getting manhandled in most running plays.

I agree with this. But that is also why I don't see any of these guys as starters but rather 3rd down rotational guys. Hughes has always been an over achiever IMO and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is unseated by Murphy (assuming Lawson stays healthy and makes a jump in year 3). 

Hopefully having a better interior rush will allow the DE's to collapse the pocket. 

15 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I agree with this. But that is also why I don't see any of these guys as starters but rather 3rd down rotational guys. Hughes has always been an over achiever IMO and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is unseated by Murphy (assuming Lawson stays healthy and makes a jump in year 3). 

Hopefully having a better interior rush will allow the DE's to collapse the pocket. 

That's a pretty big assumption don't you think? I haven't seen a single thing out of Lawson that makes me think he's a starter. Hughes hasn't hit the heights he once had but he was definitely our most consistent source of pressure last season. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

That's a pretty big assumption don't you think? I haven't seen a single thing out of Lawson that makes me think he's a starter. Hughes hasn't hit the heights he once had but he was definitely our most consistent source of pressure last season. 

I think he was their best DE against the run before getting hurt. The way I see it his rookie season was a complete wash between being injured and in the wrong scheme. Now, (hopefully) fully healthy and going into his 3rd year, he can make a jump just like Nigel Bradham, Aaron Williams and others have in their 3rd season.

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm giving Lawson a make or break year. He needs a strong camp and preseason but our pass rush as a unit needs to have better seasons 

2 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I'm giving Lawson a make or break year. He needs a strong camp and preseason but our pass rush as a unit needs to have better seasons 

I agree on the make it or break it year...Everyone has to understand that McDermott's defense does not consist of a lot of pass rushing/blitzing that Schwartz implemented in his 4-3 def when he was in buffalo...Hughes didnt have the positive sacks that everyone wants because he didnt rush the passer as much as he typically does. 

Part of the declining stats are the result of McDermott’s emphasis on rotation. Compared to 2016, Jerry Hughes played 121 fewer snaps this season (856 to 725) and shouldn’t have been expected to tally the same number of sacks or tackles. Despite the reduction in time, his 28 tackles were within striking distance from his all-time best of 36 in a season.On rushes and short passes toward Hughes’ side of the field, Buffalo has respectable rankings in defensive metrics, falling cleanly in the top half of the league in yards gained and completion percentage in the case of passes. Away from Hughes, the team fared demonstrably worse, That was key for the Hughes. A tremendous amount of evidence suggests that Hughes’ “decline” is mostly a mirage. In 2017, Buffalo’s defensive line was less than stellar in collapsing the pocket. Without consistent threats elsewhere, teams keyed in on Hughes. Play-by-play review shows a player with plenty of power, speed, and a fair share of technique to go with a high motor. 

51 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

Pats signed Jordan Matthews. Another slot WR for the Pats.

he will go back to his usual 75-80 receptions and 900 yds with 6 td....people will be talking about how amazing he is and how the bills were dumb for letting him go....same old story different player.

7 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think he was their best DE against the run before getting hurt. The way I see it his rookie season was a complete wash between being injured and in the wrong scheme. Now, (hopefully) fully healthy and going into his 3rd year, he can make a jump just like Nigel Bradham, Aaron Williams and others have in their 3rd season.

I'd agree that he was pretty good against the run. I haven't given up on Shaq or have anything against him personally I just haven't seen anything that makes me think he can unseat Hughes or Murphy on the edge. I'm rooting for, I just think he's got a ways to go. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

he will go back to his usual 75-80 receptions and 900 yds with 6 td....people will be talking about how amazing he is and how the bills were dumb for letting him go....same old story different player.

Honestly it's a great signing for them. He fits what they do very well and they got him cheap. 

Archived