If it's not a LB...

mwalker

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

It won't be Ronnie Harrison. 

It will be between Justin Reid, Deshon Elliott, or Jessie Bates. They all check out the "Steelers 1st round checklist".

Please explain how those guys all check out the "Steelers 1st round checklist", but Harrison does not.   

Not even necessarily saying you are wrong, but Im curious about the logic behind your assessment.  

Because I'm sure Ronnie Harrison will be picked ahead of our pick. We are projecting three players I mentioned to be 2nd to 4th round prospects but that doesn't mean they have the same grade as us. 

Let's look...

Underclassmen? Check

Position of need? Check

SPARQ score is good or better? Check.

Age 21 (22 or younger) check. 

Good game tape, show a lot of potentials? Check.

Jessie Bates already got a confirmed dinner with the Steelers. I won't be surprised to see other two as well. 

Jessie Bates is the best free safety prospect in the draft. Elliott fits what we need from strong safety right now. Justin Reid is versatile safety. 

I actually do think that Ronnie Harrison may be picked in front of us because of the lack of depth at safety in regards to high grades for the first round but overall safety is a very deep class so it wouldn't shock me if he is not selected before number 28. The saying about the draft is if I'm being honest I think it could at least be argued that many of the teams and pick in front of us neither linebackers. So the question is will lve or Evans even be available. Regardless of the round of it they should go in I would not at all be upset it's Justin Reid or Elliot was the pic because I think they're very good players.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Harrison is a combo safety. Not a real FS, not a SS. He would do well with a straight up cover 2 team where they ask him to do a little of both. 

So what im saying is he’s our perfect FS. :facepalm:

LOL!

I do like Deshon Elliott as our strong safety, I think having Sean Davis' intelligence and versatility helps us choose the best safety prospect available. It's not whether they are graded in the 2nd round or not; CAN we get this player in the 2nd round and are we sure? Can we afford to try to trade up in this year draft? We don't even have a 4th, I think if anything, we could trade out of 1st only if three prospects I mentioned are available. 

Ronnie Harrison... Just seem like drafting him would be the unlikely character of the Steelers to do that. I can see that they avoid the players who are playing on the loaded side of the ball because it's much harder to diagnosis the player's strengths and weaknesses. Highlights will always look good- but how can this player perform when they are losing? When has the defense lapsed? Not just, many Bama players underperformed when playing for NFL, only Donta Hightower performed well and exceeding. 

Honestly, I'm just happy to see us doing something about the safety position, I like Bates as much I do with Elliott, while I do like Reid- I don't get that feeling he can be a leader and he's just too similar to Sean Davis. 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Not just, many Bama players underperformed when playing for NFL, only Donta Hightower performed well and exceeding. 

Umm what? Are you saying Bama players don't play well?

CJ Mosely - Haha Clinton-Dix - Landon Collins - Mark Barron - Marcel Dareus - Hightower - A'Shawn Robinson - Plus Reuben Foster looked pretty good as a rookie. That's just off the top of my head. 

All the players aside from Dareus you mentioned hasn't been an x-factor on their teams. I'm not talking about talent-wise. I'm thinking from the perception of being an impact player. Foster- the jury is still out on him. Harrison, do you see an impact player? I don't. Elliott and Bates, I can see it. 

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

All the players aside from Dareus you mentioned hasn't been an x-factor on their teams. I'm not talking about talent-wise. I'm thinking from the perception of being an impact player. Foster- the jury is still out on him. Harrison, do you see an impact player? I don't. Elliott and Bates, I can see it. 

I think you're greatly undervaluing Mosely and yes, I do think Harrison can be an x-factor. He's got everything you need in a safety.

Will he become an x-factor? Your guess is as good as mine but he's got the same chance as Elliott(at least). I'm actually pretty high on Bates except his size worries me.

Archived