Bucs resign Brate 6 year deal

49erurtaza

I figure he's going to get 7 million a season...so I'll have to see the numbers before I see how off I am, but if that is close...the OJ Howard thing is just really strange. I thought Brate was a candidate to be traded to be honest. Put a second round tender on him and then try to trade him for a 3/4. 

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Brate and Howard are a really tough duo for Defenses.  Add Evans and Godwin, that is a really nice set of weapons.  

That only applies if you are willing to put both TE's on the field.   I know they started to do it a little more late - but will they do in Howard's Year 2?  If so, then it makes some sense.  But if not...waste of resource allocation.

I know Jameis loves his TE's...but this is taking it too far, if you aren't putting both on the field like Gronk/Hernandez.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That only applies if you are willing to put both TE's on the field.   I know they started to do it a little more late - but will they do in Howard's Year 2?  If so, then it makes some sense.  But if not...waste of resource allocation.

I know Jameis loves his TE's...but this is taking it too far, if you aren't putting both on the field like Gronk/Hernandez.

Are the Bucs confident in Howard? Signing Brate to a six year deal suggest they want him around.

Howard didn't have the best Rookie Year but got a few TD's. If they're not planning on playing 2 TE then is sort of suggests insurance policy. 

4 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Are the Bucs confident in Howard? Signing Brate to a six year deal suggest they want him around.

Howard didn't have the best Rookie Year but got a few TD's. If they're not planning on playing 2 TE then is sort of suggests insurance policy. 

TE’s take time.   Even Gronk took a year to develop.  Howard is a do it all TE who can win inline and in the move position.   That’s why he went earliest in the most talented TE draft possibly ever (not exaggerating). 

But you don’t spend 1.18 on a TE and then use him for 2-downs.   If they don’t use 2-TE sets it’s a colossal waste of resources. And I love Brate as a pass catching TE.  

But Brate was a RFA not a UFA.  So they could have offered him a 2nd rd tag and then traded him or wait to see what their best plan was in the offseason next year   This is baffling to say the least.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

TE’s take time.   Even Gronk took a year to develop.  Howard is a do it all TE who can win inline and in the move position.   That’s why he went earliest in the most talented TE draft possibly ever (not exaggerating). 

But you don’t spend 1.18 on a TE and then use him for 2-downs.   If they don’t use 2-TE sets it’s a colossal waste of resources. And I love Brate as a pass catching TE.  

But Brate was a RFA not a UFA.  So they could have offered him a 2nd rd tag and then traded him or wait to see what their best plan was in the offseason next year   This is baffling to say the least.  

Totally agree. I think we've yet to see the best of him in the NFL. Certainly expect a better sophomore season from him. (To quote NFL analysts)

It just suggests the Bucs are not totally confident on Howard and they want to keep Brate around. That or we'll start seeing a lot more 2 TE sets. 

Brate is more of an H-Back type of TE. We move him around quite a bit; even out wide. Howard is a traditional TE that we line up next to our tackles.

We run two TE sets as much as anyone in the league. And Brate is a boss when we get into the redzone. He's only the 13th highest paid TE in the NFL. And the way his guaranteed money is, we can trade/cut him (if we want) by the time Howard is ready for his second contract.

It's really a good contract. And we still have ~$50M in cap space. 

Archived