Ravens Re-sign James Hurst

AFlaccoSeagulls

5 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Hurst is better inside than at Tackle so yeah, i can agree to extend him but the figures are a bit higher than i'd like them to knowing how tight they are with the cap.

Getting a deal done with CJ is paramount in relieving some cap space. The only thing I don't like is we're gonna have to restructure a few guys. Strongly dislike kicking the can down the road constantly. 

Just now, baltimoreRebel said:

Strongly dislike kicking the can down the road constantly. 

agreed.

the Hurst contract could also mean they release Howard and let Hurst play RT. they better not, he was alright at LG so IF Howard is gone it may be Lewis' turn at RT. not sure if i like that, he never played Tackle right?

3 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

agreed.

the Hurst contract could also mean they release Howard and let Hurst play RT. they better not, he was alright at LG so IF Howard is gone it may be Lewis' turn at RT. not sure if i like that, he never played Tackle right?

He played Tackle in college, even some tight end. Ultimately switched to Guard. 

1 minute ago, berlin calling said:

agreed.

My guess is Hurst at guard, Lewis at tackle. Hurst is awful at tackle and Lewis is 6’7” And was only at guard because we still had Wagner.

Its fine I guess but a little disappointing because I thought someone like Connor Williams, Wynn, or Hernandez could’ve really taken the line to the next level 

I am a bit surprised, but yeah, its bye bye Jensen. We will most likely go with Hurst at LG and then try Lewis, Gusa and Skura at OC and them draft a RT. That gives us Stanley, Hurst, Lewis Yanda, Howard/draft pick and then Gusa, Skura and Gillmore as backups.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

The Hurst re-signing is surprising, for him most of all. Probably could've gotten more money with other team. I think the team views him as an above average starter at guard, who can also fill in at tackle, even if his play there is clearly below average. Injuries to the OL last year has them scared. 

I've never been a fan of the Raven's positional shuffling when it comes to OL, and it looks like we'll get more of the same. Players constantly switching positions along the line, never settling in and growing as a unit.

I think the Ravens are be of the view that, if you have an O-lineman good enough to start, you keep him as long as it's practical. Hurst hasn't garnered enough attention to ask for a high price, and he's a serviceable starting LG. I'm pleased that he's going to be back, and hopefully he keeps developing.

What this means for Alex Lewis, I don't know. The Ravens have said, more than once, that they don't plan to move him to RT, but I don't know what else they can do with him, if he doesn't beat out Hurst at LG.

Right now, we appear to have a starting O-line of Stanley, Hurst, Skura, Yanda and Howard. With Lewis, Siragusa, Eluemenor and a couple of PS guys as potential backups. This may change, of course, but it doesn't look like a terrible lineup.

I know this has been discussed already, but I figured it needs it own thread. This tells me the front office doenst believe they are in the running for any high dollar free agent WR and also they arent going to draft O Line early in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, paraven said:

I know this has been discussed already, but I figured it needs it own thread. This tells me the front office doenst believe they are in the running for any high dollar free agent WR and also they arent going to draft O Line early in the draft. 

This is good. I’d rather not restructure deals and cut an incredible number of players in order to gain wide receivers.

This is a little surprising that we’ve resigned him, but Hurst is essentially a poor man’s Yanda. A guard that can play tackle in a pinch.

Speaking of Yanda, he is getting older, this tells me that the front office sees Hurst as someone that can be durable and be a consistent veteran OL presence to count on in the years following Yanda.

Back to Hurst, he will now have an entire offseason to dedicate towards the LG position. The plays, the technique, redefining his body, etc. So this deal could end up as a steal if Hurst can continue to progress. Last year at the end of training camp was his first time playing in the interior of the OL. So this upcoming season he might go from solid to good.

13 minutes ago, paraven said:

It did need it's own thread, so I split the posts off into yours.

Meh. I still don't trust Hurst. As long as he sticks inside at left guard where e didn't suck okay. Never, ever again at either tackle spot though. Never. Ever.

As for Lewis... his durability is a pretty big concern at this point. I'd hate to think that the Ravens spent money on Hurst just as insurance for Alex though so if he isn't moving to right tackle then who knows. I'm not buying him at center regardless of the speculation.

Archived