Choose Your Strategy Moving Forward

e16bball

Choose Your Venture  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Course Would You Have Chosen (on January 1, 2018)?

• Go For It
    • Stay the Course (Veteran QB)
    • Stay the Course (Rookie QB)
    • Full Rebuild

One of the things I've found fascinating since returning to the forum -- and returning to really closely following/thinking about the Redskins and football in general --  is how widely opinions of where the Redskins are and what their approach should be moving forward seem to vary. I've always enjoyed a good "go on the record" thread, so this is the chance (before the offseason really gets started) to weigh in as to what the smart approach for the Redskins may be.

Just a couple guidelines:

* Assume that Kirk Cousins is gone. None of this "go back in time to 2015 and offer Kirk a deal he would have signed" stuff.

* This is focused on the direction from a roster standpoint, so "fire Allen" or "fire Gruden" won't really be relevant to any of the choices. Feel free to specify that in a post, though.

* It also isn't going to focus on individual players -- the focus here is on the broad, grand plan type approach. Again, feel free to specify individual players in a post, though. 

* You have to pick one of the 4 options in the poll. But if you want something in between two choices, that would be fine to mention in a post as well.

With that said, here are the 4 choices I'll present you with:

1. Go For It:

Pay the price for the best available QB. Spend heavily in free agency, including bringing back our FA starters. Consider "aging elite" veterans who may have shorter windows of high-level play left. Explore draft pick for veteran player trades for immediate upgrades. Explore trades of future draft picks for picks this year. Focus draft picks on immediate production instead of developmental projects.  

2. Stay the Course (w/ Veteran QB):

Bring in a veteran starting QB in FA/trade to replace Cousins, though not necessarily the best available. Make a moderate foray into free agency. Less interest in "aging elite" players than in option 1. Bring back our FA starters if they'll sign reasonably. Try to preserve comp picks for FAs who leave if possible. Balanced approach to draft pick trades. Balanced approach to instant impact vs. potential with draft picks. 

3. Stay the Course (w/ Young or Rookie QB):

Draft a rookie QB, if available. Go with McCoy (or a similar low-level FA QB) as a bridge to the rookie if necessary or if forced to wait until next season due to availability. Make a moderate foray into free agency. Generally avoid "aging elite" players. Bring back our FA starters if they'll sign reasonably. Try to preserve comp picks for FAs who leave if possible. Balanced approach to draft pick trades. Balanced approach to instant impact vs. potential with draft picks. 

4. Full Rebuild:

Essentially tank mode. Do not bring in a veteran QB. Make McCoy the starter for 2018. Draft a future franchise QB if available. If not, look to take one next year with a higher 1st round pick. Avoid free agency. No interest in "aging elite" players. Let our FA starters walk. Look to get at least 4 comp picks and preserve them at all costs. Trade older veteran players with value (Williams, Kerrigan, Norman, etc.) for draft picks. Look to trade 2018 draft picks for higher future picks when able. Focus on drafting high-ceiling prospects. 

I would have understood #3 but it honestly should have been #4.

I don’t believe in perpetual mediocrity in sports.  With the draft system teams that aren’t competing for the title should get bad in the short term to become great in the long term.  

How many star players do the Redskins have?  Very few.  We don’t have a depth problem, the problem is a lot of our starters should be depth, not starters.  To land star players you need high draft picks.  

Good answers so far, guys. I’m impressed that so many are opting for #4 with such little hesitation. I would probably have leaned that way if it weren’t for some concerns I have about the specifics of getting the future franchise QB.

I think it’s a really tough question. Im having trouble with it and I’m the one who set the ground rules and posed the question xD

I think my hold-up in green lighting a full scale implosion of the team is that I don’t think the roster is nearly as bad as many here seem to believe it is. I see a team that was 7-9 despite an extremely difficult schedule and despite being torn to smithereens by injuries. I feel as if there could be an additional win out there just from moving to an average difficulty schedule and possibly another win just from having average health. That’s before we make any changes to the roster, particularly in terms of additions at the skill positions on offense and up the middle on defense. I don’t think a 10-6 season is out of the realm of entirely reasonable possibility with this group — and that makes me pretty hesitant to just blow the whole damn thing up. 

That said, I also don’t think we’re a certain enough contender to just throw caution to the wind and go all-in. To mortgage the future for the purpose of making a couple huge runs at it under the “flags fly forever” justification. So I’m really torn. And I’m afraid I’m in the middle — where I think it’s fundamentally stupid to be — with a “cautious going for it” (option 2) seeming like what appeals to me the most. 

This year we are going for it and everyone involved Dan Bruce Jay had better succeed or there are no more excuses for clearing the deck and getting professionals in to run the franchise 

I see the redskins operating like Radio Shack Trs80 @Woz yeah Woz it’s a 70’s reference only older computer whiz’s will get, in a super computer world. 

tenor.gif

If anyone wants to know why year in and year out our fan base is at each other’s throats, look no further than the fact that (currently) more people had hoped the Redskins tank this upcoming season for draft position. 

IMHO, it is shameful to even suggest that your team should tank, especially before the season starts. You have not even seen them in training camp and fans want to phone it in. 

I understand this is hypothetical, but this just makes me sad about this fan base. 

That being said, I voted for #2 veteran QB/stay the course. I am more inclined to believe (though the FO gets a lot of hate (mostly for a good reason)) that after Kirk made it clear he wasn’t going to resign, that they made the right decision acquiring Smith.

HTTR! 

Realistically, I think the FO would've gone for 3, I'd have gone for 4 and just taken my lumps with Colt McCoy for a year. Plan on drafting the best DL you can in round 1,  see if anyone will give you any value for Trent Williams before his time runs out and roll with Nsekhe for a year, who cares if he gets Colt McCoy killed. Drum up the market for Josh Norman and see if there's any value there. Stay out of free agency for the most part other than adding some depth.

Plan on using your top 5 pick in 2019 for either a bookend OT to replace Trent or a true franchise QB, and maybe use some of your money you've saved up on a guy like Le'Veon Bell or another top tier FA. 

I'm absolutely convinced we'll be no better than 8-8 this year, and based off the construct of the roster, it's only going to deteriorate as you start needing to replace guys like Trent Williams. This was our chance to get a jump start now, and we threw it away.

Archived