Choose Your Strategy Moving Forward

e16bball

Choose Your Venture  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Course Would You Have Chosen (on January 1, 2018)?

• Go For It
    • Stay the Course (Veteran QB)
    • Stay the Course (Rookie QB)
    • Full Rebuild

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Realistically, I think the FO would've gone for 3, I'd have gone for 4 and just taken my lumps with Colt McCoy for a year. Plan on drafting the best DL you can in round 1,  see if anyone will give you any value for Trent Williams before his time runs out and roll with Nsekhe for a year, who cares if he gets Colt McCoy killed. Drum up the market for Josh Norman and see if there's any value there. Stay out of free agency for the most part other than adding some depth.

Plan on using your top 5 pick in 2019 for either a bookend OT to replace Trent or a true franchise QB, and maybe use some of your money you've saved up on a guy like Le'Veon Bell or another top tier FA. 

I'm absolutely convinced we'll be no better than 8-8 this year, and based off the construct of the roster, it's only going to deteriorate as you start needing to replace guys like Trent Williams. This was our chance to get a jump start now, and we threw it away.

Looks like Lil Danny 

bose-waterfall-ad.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Realistically, I think the FO would've gone for 3, I'd have gone for 4 and just taken my lumps with Colt McCoy for a year. Plan on drafting the best DL you can in round 1,  see if anyone will give you any value for Trent Williams before his time runs out and roll with Nsekhe for a year, who cares if he gets Colt McCoy killed. Drum up the market for Josh Norman and see if there's any value there. Stay out of free agency for the most part other than adding some depth.

Plan on using your top 5 pick in 2019 for either a bookend OT to replace Trent or a true franchise QB, and maybe use some of your money you've saved up on a guy like Le'Veon Bell or another top tier FA. 

I'm absolutely convinced we'll be no better than 8-8 this year, and based off the construct of the roster, it's only going to deteriorate as you start needing to replace guys like Trent Williams. This was our chance to get a jump start now, and we threw it away.

Exactly what I'd do. Expect maybe take a Guard with the 2019 top 5 pick B|

On 3/12/2018 at 7:32 PM, e16bball said:

1. Go For It:

Pay the price for the best available QB. Spend heavily in free agency, including bringing back our FA starters. Consider "aging elite" veterans who may have shorter windows of high-level play left. Explore draft pick for veteran player trades for immediate upgrades. Explore trades of future draft picks for picks this year. Focus draft picks on immediate production instead of developmental projects.  

Absolutely not. The Redskins are nowhere near close to "an all-in" play like this. Ignoring the QB for a moment, they do not have a starter at LG, ROLB (or RDE if you want to think 4 man front), RILB, and CB2. They are in desperate need of more OL and DL depth as well as needing a WR corps upgrade at multiple spots.

They would have to spend like fiends and probably wouldn't address all of the needs. As such, they'd likely fall short of the Super Bowl and then be saddled with massive contracts that would hinder their long term health. Kind of like the early 2000s.

Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg (The Fifth Element) voice: "I know this song. Time to change the beat.

4. Full Rebuild:

Essentially tank mode. Do not bring in a veteran QB. Make McCoy the starter for 2018. Draft a future franchise QB if available. If not, look to take one next year with a higher 1st round pick. Avoid free agency. No interest in "aging elite" players. Let our FA starters walk. Look to get at least 4 comp picks and preserve them at all costs. Trade older veteran players with value (Williams, Kerrigan, Norman, etc.) for draft picks. Look to trade 2018 draft picks for higher future picks when able. Focus on drafting high-ceiling prospects. 

I get the fascination with option #4. It's the one path that the Redskins haven't pursued under Daniel Snyder.

I just cannot go there.

It's too painful to watch during the season leading up to 2019 and 2020. I say that as a fan of the team, not just a moderator. I would only support option #4 IF it is a true rebuild: fire Moron and probably fire Gruden too (not his fault, but if the Redskins are doing this, tear it down to the studs). Given that I don't see that happening, I don't want to try to "burn it to the ground" and watch Moron try to rebuild it.

2. Stay the Course (w/ Veteran QB):

Bring in a veteran starting QB in FA/trade to replace Cousins, though not necessarily the best available. Make a moderate foray into free agency. Less interest in "aging elite" players than in option 1. Bring back our FA starters if they'll sign reasonably. Try to preserve comp picks for FAs who leave if possible. Balanced approach to draft pick trades. Balanced approach to instant impact vs. potential with draft picks. 

3. Stay the Course (w/ Young or Rookie QB):

Draft a rookie QB, if available. Go with McCoy (or a similar low-level FA QB) as a bridge to the rookie if necessary or if forced to wait until next season due to availability. Make a moderate foray into free agency. Generally avoid "aging elite" players. Bring back our FA starters if they'll sign reasonably. Try to preserve comp picks for FAs who leave if possible. Balanced approach to draft pick trades. Balanced approach to instant impact vs. potential with draft picks.

This leaves me with these two options. Honestly, both have the merits, but at the end of the day, I think I go with #3 simply because of the cap savings of going with a rookie QB. If Gruden's a QB whisperer, giving him a nearly blank pallet makes more sense than a veteran who is set in his ways.

Again, I would allow for my "one big splurge per year" rule, but still I think I end up at #3.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:11 PM, Doc Draper said:

This year we are going for it and everyone involved Dan Bruce Jay had better succeed or there are no more excuses for clearing the deck and getting professionals in to run the franchise 

I see the redskins operating like Radio Shack Trs80 @Woz yeah Woz it’s a 70’s reference only older computer whiz’s will get, in a super computer world. 

tenor.gif

Ah, the Trash 80. Good throwback there.

RSC2-Model1.gif

And yes, to all you younger folks, that is a cassette recorder there. That was for reading data into the system.

No, I'm not going to tell you what a cassette recorder is. Go look it up, you whippersnapper!

I voted full tank mode. Hell, I would trade Kerrigan and T.W. if it meant high draft picks! Rebuild the beast! We have either been in the bottom or mid level for the last 25 years! Let's crash this season and build for the future! Everything else we have tried, Old FAs, Expensive FAs, stupid draft trades, replacement coaches, etc has not worked. Let's tank the season, trade any players worth something and build this team up. Most importantly, do not let Snyder and Allen draft the players. Heck, almost the entire 2014 draft has left us this season!. They couldn't run fast enough away from here! Why would you want to play for this disorganized organization! Heck, the Browns look like there finally getting their act together. We might be the new Cleveland Browns!

It's plan B as of January 1st, without a doubt.

I am optimistic about this team. There is too much invested in this course to deviate. The time for C was last off-season but I still would have traded Cousins pre-deadline and gone for the tank/miracle season with Colt McCoy. Then again, other than getting the top pick of the elite, you'd probably still want to get a vet QB and avoid swinging in the draft until the lines have a bit more young controlled talent. 

Commencing rambling...

I like the design of this front office, specifically that the frustration has only spilled to Bruce Allen. We have seen Schaeffer's contract management/philosophy impact the team over time (assumption) and they have a good mix of talent in the front office overall. Evidently there is some room for improvement in the front office, but seemingly a competent unit.

The more you read between the lines and what people unaffiliated with the Redskins are saying and not saying around Cousins, happy to see the team moving on to a veteran signal caller as the successor. You'll need a professional to handle the questions and mentor a young playmaking unit. The last thing you need is another trade up and the immediate comparisons to Griffin or Cousins - this is the way they have to go to have a healthy change management, in some respect, for the fanbase. There is a lot that is being asked for whichever QB is there in 2018 and so it does make a ton of sense that they've specifically gone with Alex Smith. 

I'm jazzed about the Redskins for 2018, provided they get 2-3 more solid adds in the coming weeks at key positions. It's tough when you're competing against teams with superior resources to acquire improvements. At the end of the day, I am more convinced they are closer than farther away watching last year's games. 

1. NT
  2. RB
  3. LG
  4. RILB
  5. Nickel DB
  6. Blocking TE

Happy they got the starting Z out of the way and signed Quick - have to wonder if what we see now is what we get in TC. Avery Williamson and Todd Davis just helped the Redskins FO a good deal. Hard to know what to make of the situation as Zach Brown may feel that he needs to go elsewhere to attempt to go for the big money one more time. Davis is 3 years younger with similar strengths/weaknesses and signed for up to 5m/season. Brown wanted top dollar. Not knowing where you are relative to your peers has me looking to move on entirely. Admittedly, I have said my piece about moving on to let Ryan Anderson shift inside. 

Theoretically a run-stopping ILB should be inexpensive to fill in free agency or find later in the draft, as should a blocking TE, a run-stopping NT and a nickel corner. They had one of the right guys last year (Taylor) but injuries will wreak their havoc when the back-ups aren't up to snuff. Hope they take care of NT and nickel corner most of all. Bringing back Galette would be a big deal. 

The 2019 draft they will need to look at successors for:

• McCoy (back-up QB)
  • Foster (QB of the defense)
  • Nsekhe (swing tackle)
  • Reed (pass-catching TE)
  • Swearinger (Cover 2/box safety)
  • Norman (starting CB)
  • Kerrigan (LOLB)

They have a lot to do to take the next step, but there is a window that ends - like it does for many teams - in the 2020/2021 season.

Just now, footy_29 said:

4th rounder? Absolutely would run away with that. 
No one is giving up a second rounder in this draft for Nsekhe.

He was tendered with a 2nd round contract so that's the price to get him right now. To go two rounds down from that seems be selling pennies on the dollar, but I could understand dropping down to the 3rd to make a deal.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

He was tendered with a 2nd round contract so that's the price to get him right now. To go two rounds down from that seems be selling pennies on the dollar, but I could understand dropping down to the 3rd to make a deal.

He's an anomaly as a RFA.
Turning 33 mid-season and did not perform at a top level last season. He will probably be retired after the next two seasons. What are the odds he makes it past the 2019 season in the NFL? If he does, what about past 2020?

56 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

He's an anomaly as a RFA.
Turning 33 mid-season and did not perform at a top level last season. He will probably be retired after the next two seasons. What are the odds he makes it past the 2019 season in the NFL? If he does, what about past 2020?

True true.

Archived