Texans watch: 2017

BwickRedux

Since we had this thread going in the old times and we're a bunch of vultures circling the Houston Texans' draft picks this year, I figured I would restart the topic over here.

To start off, there's this recent development....

This isn't intended to be a jubilant post of course, but it is a pretty big loss for their offense. 

Wow that's a tough loss for their offense. They've still got Jalen Strong who has potential on the outside. 

Man I've never been as interested in a team in one season as much as the Texans this year. 

Still hurt we didn't get Hooker, but to now have the first and second from one team in one draft is pretty surreal 

Bill O'Brien also effused praise for Deshaun Watson, so that probably means he is going to suck.  O'Brien's praise AND an injury to their first round speedster looks like a solid off-season thus far when our draft pick is concerned.  And same here, of course, in that I wish Fuller a healthy and full recovery and Watson an excellent NFL career except for this year.

Did anyone watch the Houston v Carolina game last night? If I'm being fair, Watson looked decent - on the positive, he kept the chains moving and looked comfortable in his first game. On the negative, he sailed several passes (similar to what was seen in his college tape) and scrambled out of the pocket a bunch, which would have probably resulted in several sacks had he been playing a 1st team defense. Overall, I think the jury is still out (as it should be after 1 preseason game), but he is at the point that I also expect Deshone to be - a rookie who looks comfortable in an NFL game against third stringers, but still needs time to grow.

As an aside: I do think it's laughable how certain members of the Cleveland media are using last night's first preseason game to already bludgeon Sashi for passing on Watson. I swear - besides Ken Carman and maybe a couple others, all they do is wake up and think to themselves "How can we be contrarian and drive a negative story today?" It must be rough to make sports your life and then force yourself to always be in a negative mindset about them.

• 2 weeks later...

11 hours ago, Mind Character said:

If tom savage goes down......

We're getting a top 5 pick as Deshaun Watson is going to struggle.

I need to watch the full pre-season game (I only caught the first qtr when it aired live) but I really think they're going to be one dimensional on offense given how underwhelming of a running back Lamar Miller is, which if that is the case and Tom Savage or Deshaun Watson is steering that ship, doesn't bode too well. I still get an 8-9 win vibe from them as a whole, but I can totally envision the wheels falling off around mid-season if Savage can't produce and Watson has to play under the pressure BoB is going to put on his shoulders.

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you think Tom Savage is the only thing that stands between us getting a top 5 pick, I like our odds of getting a top 5 pick.

I think Savage has the ability to be a game manager. He can play "dont screw it up for the defense". I think Watson is completely different. Dude has great ability and has a lot of confidence. He plays like a gun slinger. I think playing like a gun slinger as a rookie under BOB will cause some issues for him for his first year. I think he might be able to develop into a good QB but I think it will take a year or two to do it. 

Archived