Allen Robinson agrees to sign with Bears

pigsooie5

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade (honestly, I want to borrow some optimism!):

Nobody is worried that our top two WRs are coming off torn ACLs and our WR3 right now can't play in the NFL without breaking a bone?

Worry is there for me for sure, but as long as they’re expected healthy by TC (and both are) I’m not overly worried. Guys coming back in < 12 months off ACLs now is commonplace. I’d be far more concerned if their tears weren’t both week 1 of last year or earlier. Beginning of TC is 11 months for Meredith and 10 for Robinson post-injury. If the team checked them out and is good with it (and I’m sure they have) then I’ll be good with it too. 

There's always a little bit of worry when guys are coming off serious injuries but it's better than the alternative of not signing these guys (Robinson & Meredith) and then missing out on the other top available WRs too.

Free agency is always a risky game. anyway you slice it.  Watkins didn't come without his injury and inconsistency concerns either.

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade (honestly, I want to borrow some optimism!):

Nobody is worried that our top two WRs are coming off torn ACLs and our WR3 right now can't play in the NFL without breaking a bone?

I'm not sure why in this day and age we are still questioning whether people can recover from an ACL injury.  Yes, its a set back, but we've seen players come back fully healthy time and time again.  Surgery + rehab has come a long way, this used to be a career-killer injury but it is not anymore.  

That being said, very happy with this.  Still want a WR, but the fact that we are addressing it early is very very good.  That, plus Meredith and white coming back gives us some potential upside.   Want some depth, but a corps of Robinson, Meredith, Wright, White is certainly not bad.

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

There's always a little bit of worry when guys are coming off serious injuries but it's better than the alternative of not signing these guys (Robinson & Meredith) and then missing out on the other top available WRs too.

Free agency is always a risky game. anyway you slice it.  Watkins didn't come without his injury and inconsistency concerns either.

Yup.  Robinson and Meredith may not be themselves this year, but good news is they are young and can grow with the QB.  May not work out due to more injuries, but thats always the gamble.   

12 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm not sure why in this day and age we are still questioning whether people can recover from an ACL injury.  Yes, its a set back, but we've seen players come back fully healthy time and time again.  Surgery + rehab has come a long way, this used to be a career-killer injury but it is not anymore.  

Agreed. It's not a position/situation where you have perfect specimens available,  this was debatably the best guy available and he's coming here.

To look at this from another way;  how many WR's or other players never come back from an ACL?  Drawing a blank beyond Derrick Rose and I can't recall him doing much in the NFL to begin with. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

This is a huge move for the Bears for multiple reasons,

1. It appears they are a destination again for free agents landing the #1 WR.
2. It shows us last seasons FA period was a blip, not that Robinson may not flame out, but at least we were not being rejected.
3. It gives the Bears a potential #1 WR that they were not going to find in the draft.
4. It gives immediate help to Trubisky and does not require development time
5. It puts everyone in a spot they can be successful, Meredith as the #2 is better for him than the #1 spot. If they sign Wilson or draft a slot they will not be forced outside.

Robinson said one reason he came was Nagy. That's probably one more FA coming due to the coach than the Trestman and Fox tenures combined.

39 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Agreed. It's not a position/situation where you have perfect specimens available,  this was debatably the best guy available and he's coming here.

To look at this from another way;  how many WR's or other players never come back from an ACL?  Drawing a blank beyond Derrick Rose and I can't recall him doing much in the NFL to begin with. 

Rose's whole body was breaking down. Not just his ACL. However, given how bad our WR corps was last season, he'd probably would have been our number 2 WR.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Even FA with no injuries have injury question marks. It's the NFL.

Both WR are young and have almost an entire year of healing and as noted, all the benefits of modern medicine and recovery. I expect that towards the middle of the season neither player will look like a guy coming off an ACL if not from game 1. Heck, I'm on the WR mojo bandwagon and I'm starting to expect White to not only finish the season, but contribute.

20 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Rose's whole body was breaking down. Not just his ACL. However, given how bad our WR corps was last season, he'd probably would have been our number 2 WR.

Best WRs are all in college basketball or NBA.  Randy Moss and Terrell Owens would have been basketball players were they good enough.   

4 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Watch how fast Calvin Ridley comes off of all of those mock drafts. Now everybody in the national media will be stunned when they also draft a receiver.

I think it does mean that they'll now get one on Day 2, though. Which is (now) fine with me. Lots of intriguing prospects there...

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm still not sold that Pace will be so stubborn as to keep "his guy", rather than realize opening up that roster spot is worth the $2 mil cap hit. We'll see...

I think the question marks over health are slightly overblown at this point...truth is surgery on ACLs has came so far over the last 5 years that guys are coming back just as strong and fast than ever before...both Robinson & Watkins have had injuries in the past and there is always going to be an injury risk on every down in the NFL...unless it is blatant that a guy is always hurt you just need to take the risk.

Archived