Norwell Jilts Giants, Elopes With Jags

bzane

Supposed "done deal" and much-ballyhooed prospective free-agent signing falls through; Tom Coughlin signs coveted guard to enormous contract:

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/3/13/17113350/nfl-free-agency-rumors-news-andrew-norwell-sign-jacksonville-jaguars-ny-giants

So! Does this mean a greater chance that the Giants will draft Quenton Nelson? As a corollary (same article) they aren't much interested in bring Justin Pugh back.

I think it becomes a situation where we should be a little stronger on D.J. Fluker. He is the definition of a "hog mollie" and should still come very cheap compared to others on the market. He can be a stopgap while we find better solutions.

Nelson could really help this offensive line out, and would have no problem drafting him with the second pick.

The man is the best o line prospect I've seen in a long time.  Immediate upgrade to the entire line having him on your roster.

Sucks, but it happens. Only one team could land him and Jacksonville offered him a huge deal, as well as 0 income taxes in FL plus they were just in the AFC Championship game. 

Time to move on to plan B. Kelemente from the Saints is an under the radar, Gettleman-like signing that I think would really help us. The same goes for Hubbard from Pittsburgh. 

Yep. I knew that "done deal" report was BS and had a feeling we weren't going to sign him. The Giants simply have to many holes and not enough cap room to spend big bucks on one "premier" free agent. I'd rather sign a cluster of solid pieces and build through the draft. 

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Sucks, but it happens. Only one team could land him and Jacksonville offered him a huge deal, as well as 0 income taxes in FL plus they were just in the AFC Championship game. 

Time to move on to plan B. Kelemente from the Saints is an under the radar, Gettleman-like signing that I think would really help us. The same goes for Hubbard from Pittsburgh. 

Both players I would be happy with, especially Hubbard for his ability to play all over the line (logging snaps at left tackle, and on the interior as an extra lineman). 

55 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

People say you can't take a Guard at #2 (which I disagree with) but is there a reason Nelson couldn't be a successful T in the league? Is it too big and not quick enough?

Pretty fair, if speculative, article on the possibility of Quenton Nelson playing tackle:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/28/2018-nfl-draft-quenton-nelson-tackle/

It’s no secret Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson is among the top overall prospects in the 2018 NFL draft class, but many wonder if his position could keep him from being a top-five pick.

But what if Nelson played tackle instead?

As league decision-makers roll through their press conferences at the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine, it doesn’t seem far-fetched to think that some teams could be targeting Nelson to play a more premier spot up front.

Check out what Cincinnati Bengals personnel director Duke Tobin had to say about Nelson on Wednesday:

Duke Tobin on Quenton Nelson:

“He’s a fine a prospect at that position I’ve seen in a long time. ... he deserves his spot at the top of the draft.”

Couple more measurements on OLs:
Quenton Nelson: 6-5, 325
Mike McGlinchey: 6-7 7/8, 309
K.J. Malone: 6-3 5/8, 303
Braden Smith: 6-6 1/4, 315#NFLCombine2018

Typically, undersized tackle prospects are forced to slide inside and play guard at the next level, but it’s rare to see an elite guard prospect able to make the transition to the outside. But Nelson has the size and skill set to make it happen:

Like this article?

Sign up for the The Draft Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Archived