Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

This is the right move, given our cap situation and proximity to competing for a title, we should not have been in on Kirk Cousins.  As I predicted yesterday, we'll go the Bears 2017 offseason route, signing a stopgap QB and drafting our QB of the future.  I like this signing, as it gives the Broncos flexibility with the 5th pick, we aren't handcuffed to whatever QB is left for us at 5, and can now take best player available or move away from the 5th pick.

My prediction for terms:  2 years $35m.

When we draft Allen in the first sign me up for the fire Elway club. 

If the goal is to have a stopgap QB why not just trade for Tyrod who has proven he can be a solid player for more than one season? Until QBs falling in front of him Keenum had worse career stats than Trevor.

7 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

When we draft Allen in the first sign me up for the fire Elway club. 

If the goal is to have a stopgap QB why not just trade for Tyrod who has proven he can be a solid player for more than one season? Until QBs falling in front of him Keenum had worse career stats than Trevor.

Is taylor who you would have gave more than a 3rd for, who's making 15 mill per year. Is he that much better of an option than Keenum? I don't think so personally. 

Denver inquired about Taylor the price wasn't right.

Edited by thebestever6

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Is taylor who you would have gave more than a 3rd for, who's making 15 mill per year. Is he that much better of an option than Keenum? I don't think so personally. 

Denver inquired about Taylor the price wasn't right.

Taylor is the better player. 

Franchise needs to just accept it's not one player away from competing. Sign Solder, Sign a DE/DT, Sign a 3rd WR, Draft Rosen/Darnold at 5 and Hernandez in 2nd and that builds us a lot better for the future. Is Keenum going to improve the Broncos by 5 wins probably needed to get a WC? I highly doubt it. 

I'll just re-post my thoughts on Keenum here, with an updated qualifer - if Elway somehow signed him b4 FA opens and go him to still be only 1-year guaranteed, I'll revise my concerns to just the extra $ over other guys, but then it's a smaller concern - because we had other stopgap QB's who'd definitely take a team-friendly deal.   

The much bigger concern is if getting Keenum locks Elway from even considering QB no matter who is on the board.   But we have to wait to see Keenum's deal and how the draft fell on that count.

On 3/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, Broncofan said:

I'm still a firm no to Keenum, as I'm not at all convinced he can be a top 10 QB.   Why would I say that?   Well, some points about Keenum in MIN:

1.  Talent made him better, not the other way around - Diggs & Thielen & Rudolph, plus the running game (with McKinnon as the pass catching threat), gave the MIN QB's great weapons - a top 10 TE, and two top 20 WR's, and a top 10 receiving Rb.  And that's before you get to..

2.   Their much improved OL - while Remmers wasn't a huge upgrade, getting healthy and adding Pat Eflein inside transformed their OL...especially in pass protection.  They graded out as the 6th best OL in pass pro.   They were only 15th in run blocking (and the eye test bore that out), but pass-pro wise, they were a really good unit.   I will point out that Keenum's own play helped reduce sacks - but the OL is literally miles ahead of where we are pass-pro wise.   Better pass protection always makes QB's look their best.   DAL 2016 & 2017 showed this in spades - they made Dak Prescott look like a future star in 2016 - but then with more pressure on him, well, his star talk disappeared in a hurry (still a way better pick than we did with Lynch, though, no doubt).  

3.  Level of Competition - MIN's schedule was literally one of the easiest for QB/WR's - the NFCN and teams MIN faced provided one of the softest secondaries faced.   In fact, for WR's, it was literally the easiest in recent history.  

4.   Game flow - MIN played with an elite D, and with a lead for almost all the games.    As we saw in the first few games, being with that kind of game script is the optimal environment for a QB to succeed.

5.  Elite OC adjustment - much like Foles benefitted from having genius-level game planning with Doug Pederson, OC Fritz Shurmur was recognized for being a top innovator and gamecaller/planner for MIN.   I suspect with a lesser talent, Keenum's flaws would be exposed more regularly. 

Add it all up, while I think Keenum would be clearly better than our 2017 QB's - he was a guy the team's talent, OL, weaker competition faced and the great OC helped play up all of his strengths - but masked weaknesses that have always been there before - and likely are still there now.     If we had no other choices, sure, we could do worse - but we have other choices, and I do want someone with top-10 QB ceiling if you are going to pay that kind of money, for those kind of years.

So no thanks on Keenum, given he will command more $ and more years than the other guys available.   1-year vet deal and 1.5 QB is still my preferred option, with Cousins out the way (and I was still conflicted even then, given the $ issues it created).   I just have to pray Elway doesn't fall for Allen as the guy - any of the other 3, I'd still prefer (Darnold/Rosen the 2 I am the most confident in), especially given the positional savings can then be used elsewhere.  

8 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Franchise needs to just accept it's not one player away from competing. Sign Solder, Sign a DE/DT, Sign a 3rd WR, Draft Rosen/Darnold at 5 and Hernandez in 2nd and that builds us a lot better for the future. Is Keenum going to improve the Broncos by 5 wins probably needed to get a WC? I highly doubt it. 

Or trade for Juwan James. 

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

I don't think taylor gets us 5 more wins eother. I think taylor had 2 good years keenum 1. They both had qb friendly offenses.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Or trade for Juwan James. 

Pretty much. Build around a rookie QB which while there's a lot of debate about the top 5 QBs, is one of the best QB classes to come out in years and with a top 5 pick a good chance Rosen or Darnold are there at 5. When we draft Allen that's probably going to be the point of pushing me over the edge. 

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't think taylor gets us 5 more wins eother. I think taylor had 2 good years keenum 1. They both had qb friendly offenses.

Which is my point. This team isn't making the playoffs. Just accept that the team isn't going to be very good and build around a rookie like the Rams did and take your rookie hits but put that cap to better use. 

1 minute ago, broncosfan07 said:

Pretty much. Build around a rookie QB which while there's a lot of debate about the top 5 QBs, is one of the best QB classes to come out in years and with a top 5 pick a good chance Rosen or Darnold are there at 5. When we draft Allen that's probably going to be the point of pushing me over the edge. 

Yup, agreed.  FTR, I wouldn't trade 3.1 (or the like) for Taylor, either, FTR.   But yes, we aren't 1 guy away, even if it's QB - and certainly NOT at 20M for an average talent, with no clear lock to be even league-average with us.  MIN was the perfect QB situation last year.   We aren't, for the reasons I posted up above earlier. 

We need to take a 2019+ view, and commit.  Instead, we keep trying to make it all happen in 1 offseason...and it's leading a gradually depleted team.  20M on a QB isn't suddenly going to help us address our needs - it makes us 1 really good player better, when we have 5-6 massive needs still left.   Not nearly enough.  

1 minute ago, broncosfan07 said:

Which is my point. This team isn't making the playoffs. Just accept that the team isn't going to be very good and build around a rookie like the Rams did and take your rookie hits but put that cap to better use. 

We saw last year denver will not tank. We can get better with keenum and still have a good pick next year.

If what's reported about this being a relatively team friendly, and potentially short term contract, is true, then I don't necessarily hate the move. If we can move on from Keenum after a season (or two), it isn't the worst thing in the world. But I haven't seen the contract yet, so I don't really know what to think. Ostensibly, it's good because we have "flexibility" at 5, but I still think we will draft a QB at 5. If the deal ultimately becomes a 1-year deal, I think it's clear we are going to draft a QB without the pressure of that QB having to immediately jump into the fire.

In short, if this isn't a long-term commitment, and we signed Keenum because we can't be certain who we will land in the draft and we need to cover ourselves, I'm fine with it. If the idea is that we are signing Keenum for the long haul and foregoing a QB, I'm not at all fine with it.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

We saw last year denver will not tank. We can get better with keenum and still have a good pick next year.

But the thing is Keenum has been given chances, on multiple teams. And it took him falling into the starting spot on an absolutely stacked team to put up better career numbers than Trevor.

IF we draft Allen it's just about the worst possible outcome. We replaced Trevor with an older Trevor and may attempt to replace Lynch with a less tall Lynch.

• Like 1