Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The NFLN guy is talking about how everyone at Dove Valley loves this move and they see Keenum as "sure-fire, day-one starter" and that makes everyone happy. 

Give me a break. Maybe we can claw our way up from 5-11 to 7-9 this year. Whooo! Hoooo!!

What a disgrace this franchise has become. Looking at the other pro teams in the state, Joe Sakic, Artura Karnisovas and Jeff Bridich are all laughing at John Elway today. 

lol... Cousins makes us a 7-9 team too.  Our roster sucks, get real.  Just because Elway says "life's too short in the nfl to rebuild" doesn't mean it's true.  This rosters not a year away, it's 4-5 years away.  We need to rebuild, and a stopgap QB who doesn't tie up all our cap space making it impossible to make other improvements on the roster is the best option for doing that.

7 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

There's no way he signed for one year.  It's just a matter of how the money is distributed year to year.

As for the draft, I don't think it's in our best interest to take a QB 1.5.  There are two prospects worth taking in the top 5, they're both likely to be gone before 5.  The reason I like this signing is because now we have the flexibility to not reach for whoever we declare is the 3rd best QB.

Draft scenarios:

The Bills are going to be disgustingly desperate for a new QB, the Cardinals are in the same boat, and it looks like the Jets will be just as desperate.  The 5th pick is now incredibly attractive to QB needy teams who will be looking to make the mistake of trading ahead of the Jets.

Even if we pick at 5, we have the flexibility now to go best player available and not be handcuffed into the 3rd best QB in the draft.  We can go BPA at 5 and have the ammo available to trade back into the 20's for a guy like Mason Rudolph, or a faller like Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

No matter who the QB we signed was, he wasn't going to be Cousins, and therefore, we weren't going to get our long term solution at the position - so we were looking to the draft.  The mediocre free agent signing allows us to put the best talent we can on the roster.  Whether that  means picking 5th or trading back.

We're saying the same thing - the 1-year deal is referring to guaranteed base salary.   If that's only guaranteed for 1 year, we can easily walk away next year, with only the remaining signing bonus spread out over the remaining contract.  If the bonus isn't crazy, the 2019 hit is easy to walk away from.  What people are concerned about is that if there are 2 guaranteed base years, the reports Elway won't consider a QB even if one of those 2 prospects (some believe there are 3) that you have to take fall there.

And yes, I agree there are 2 QB's we can't pass up at 1.5 - for me, it's Darnold/Rosen.  Others do see Mayfield as one.   A small few see Allen.   I don't see those 2.     But at 1.5, if the 2 I want aren't there, then I'm fine without going QB.    But Elway can't pass on QB if either of them are there, and certainly shouldn't let Keenum's signing influence him there.  That's the point most of us are making.

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

There's no way he signed for one year.  It's just a matter of how the money is distributed year to year.

As for the draft, I don't think it's in our best interest to take a QB 1.5.  There are two prospects worth taking in the top 5, they're both likely to be gone before 5.  The reason I like this signing is because now we have the flexibility to not reach for whoever we declare is the 3rd best QB.

Draft scenarios:

The Bills are going to be disgustingly desperate for a new QB, the Cardinals are in the same boat, and it looks like the Jets will be just as desperate.  The 5th pick is now incredibly attractive to QB needy teams who will be looking to make the mistake of trading ahead of the Jets.

Even if we pick at 5, we have the flexibility now to go best player available and not be handcuffed into the 3rd best QB in the draft.  We can go BPA at 5 and have the ammo available to trade back into the 20's for a guy like Mason Rudolph, or a faller like Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

No matter who the QB we signed was, he wasn't going to be Cousins, and therefore, we weren't going to get our long term solution at the position - so we were looking to the draft.  The mediocre free agent signing allows us to put the best talent we can on the roster.  Whether that  means picking 5th or trading back.

We could get an incredible player at #5, but my gut says we'll trade back and draft a slew of players too high because they have promising ceilings, but are out of the league in 3 years. 

1 minute ago, elliot878 said:

lol... Cousins makes us a 7-9 team too.  Our roster sucks, get real.  Just because Elway says "life's too short in the nfl to rebuild" doesn't mean it's true.  This rosters not a year away, it's 4-5 years away.  We need to rebuild, and a stopgap QB who doesn't tie up all our cap space making it impossible to make other improvements on the roster is the best option for doing that.

If its 4 to 5 years away no sense in keeping Miller and Harris that can't be the mindset.

Sounds like it's not fully guaranteed. I can get behind this if that's the case. A mild Year 2 cap hit while we see if we can land a QBOTF is not a bad thing. Beyond that, I guess Elway does understand holes need to be filled, so trading up from 5 would make that more of a challenge.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

Sounds like it's not fully guaranteed. I can get behind this if that's the case. A mild Year 2 cap hit while we see if we can still land a QBOTF at 1.5 if it falls the right way is not a bad thing. Beyond that, I guess Elway does understand holes need to be filled, so trading up from 5 would make that more of a challenge.

FIFY - details available on the #'s yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

If its 4 to 5 years away no sense in keeping Miller and Harris that can't be the mindset.

Maybe it's 3.  My point is, the roster sucks and tying up all your cap room for the foreseeable future only makes sense when that's the last piece you need (like the Vikings).  We need more than a QB to compete and signing Cousins doesn't allow us to address other vital needs.

A stopgap was the right move, and I don't think anyone at Dove Valley is crossing QB off the draft board.  We're simply not handcuffed into taking reaching for whatever is left at 5.

Observing fan base reactions to decisions their teams make, whether it be coaching decisions, free agency or drafts, provides an interesting case study in psychology. I wonder if a university student has ever written a paper on it. 

Lets just take a look at the last 14 months of the Denver Broncos, and I'm looking beyond just this group here, evaluating the fan base as a whole. 

I would say that the fan base desire for the next head coach would have broken down about as follows: Kyle Shanahan (65%), Dave Toub (25%), Vance Joseph (5%), Other (Dungy! Cowher! Gruden!) (5%). Vance is hired and about 50% of the fan base turns around says, "good hire!" "he's a great leader of men!" "Kyle had too much Josh McDaniels in him!" "Vance went to CU!" and on and on. 

Just about everyone wants Christian McCaffrey, Rueben Foster or one of the tight ends in the draft. We take Bolles and what happens? About 50% of the fan base turns around and applauds the move, "oh he brings a nasty demeanor, we need that!" 

Who wanted Case Keenum yesterday afternoon? This morning, reading the comments sections at the team's forums, at MHR, on various social media and even here, and we have people saying this is a good move. "Oh! Kubiak knows him well!" "His QBR was better than Cousins' last year!" 

What is it? Blind faith? Homerism? Or just hoping this actually works out. 

I think I'm gonna be sick. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Maybe it's 3.  My point is, the roster sucks and tying up all your cap room for the foreseeable future only makes sense when that's the last piece you need (like the Vikings).  We need more than a QB to compete and signing Cousins doesn't allow us to address other vital needs.

A stopgap was the right move, and I don't think anyone at Dove Valley is crossing QB off the draft board.  We're simply not handcuffed into taking reaching for whatever is left at 5.

Oh I agree, or spending guaranteed money on Cousins. I can't wait to see his signing bonus.  And the jets and vikings are in limbo. 

We're playing musical chairs on qbs every year this year we sat down first. Elway can't exhale. This broadened his focus.

13 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

No roster is 4-5 years away from being rebuilt.  Once you get a Qb you can overhaul in one good draft!  Look at the Saints, they sucked 2 years ago and now are a top NFC team with 1 great draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Observing fan base reactions to decisions their teams make, whether it be coaching decisions, free agency or drafts, provides an interesting case study in psychology. I wonder if a university student has ever written a paper on it. 

Lets just take a look at the last 14 months of the Denver Broncos, and I'm looking beyond just this group here, evaluating the fan base as a whole. 

I would say that the fan base desire for the next head coach would have broken down about as follows: Kyle Shanahan (65%), Dave Toub (25%), Vance Joseph (5%), Other (Dungy! Cowher! Gruden!) (5%). Vance is hired and about 50% of the fan base turns around says, "good hire!" "he's a great leader of men!" "Kyle had too much Josh McDaniels in him!" "Vance went to CU!" and on and on. 

Just about everyone wants Christian McCaffrey, Rueben Foster or one of the tight ends in the draft. We take Bolles and what happens? About 50% of the fan base turns around and applauds the move, "oh he brings a nasty demeanor, we need that!" 

Who wanted Case Keenum yesterday afternoon? This morning, reading the comments sections at the team's forums, at MHR, on various social media and even here, and we have people saying this is a good move. "Oh! Kubiak knows him well!" "His QBR was better than Cousins' last year!" 

What is it? Blind faith? Homerism? Or just hoping this actually works out. 

I think I'm gonna be sick. 

Didn't get this I wanted Mcvay. This was blind . As to keenum I preferred a short term deal opposed to Cousins but also Loved your strategy.

I do trust Kubiak more than most especially elway.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

We're playing musical chairs on qbs every year this year we sat down first. Elway can't exhale. This broadened his focus.

Agree, our drafts have sucked because we'd been handcuffed into needs with early picks.  This year we can really go best player available, and we've got the draft picks to trade back into the first for a falling QB.  I actually like the guys with a chance at being there in the 20's (especially Rudolph), more than reaching for whoever we think is the 3rd best QB at 5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJ said:

No roster is 4-5 years away from being rebuilt.  Once you get a Qb you can overhaul in one good draft!  Look at the Saints, they sucked 2 years ago and now are a top NFC team with 1 great draft.

Exactly. The Rams are another example. When you have a good coach and a good front office you can rebound quickly. The problem, this team is a well-coached and well-run as it was when Josh McDaniels was in charge. But, hey, at least Joe Ellis didn't raise ticket prices this year. 

2 minutes ago, IronJ said:

Yea please find me the frequency of those types of drafts.  Much easier said than done.