Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If the reporting is to be believed, and they're all saying the same thing, national and local, Keenum is our sure-fire, day-one starter and the FO and coaching staff thinks he's a franchise QB. 

We're not taking a QB at No. 5 and sure as s**t not trading up for one. We're trading back, likely with Buffalo, and stock-piling picks because Matt Russell and John Elway have proven time and time again that they can kill it in the draft. 

I haven’t seen anyone say QB is out of the picture in the draft - I’ve seen the opposite. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I haven’t seen anyone say QB is out of the picture in the draft - I’ve seen the opposite. 

Here it is from Mike Klis.

With Keenum as their quarterback, the Broncos are expected to keep Lynch as their backup. It means the Broncos probably won’t take a quarterback with their No. 5 overall draft pick, although Elway won’t rule it out.

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I’ve got issue w comparing Keenum to Sanchez. Sanchez was a journeyman backup when we signed him. Keenum is coming off a year w essentially the same numbers as Cousins. He’s not a franchise QB, but he also isn’t a journeyman backup. He’s an average starter. 

Who compared him to Sanches I see Plummer. 

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

That’s the big key.  Yesterday and Sunday all the beat reporters said if Keenum would be acquired it would be as the guy and not just as a bridge.  

That was also with understanding Keenum wasn’t going to sign a deal with less than 2 years guaranteed base salary.  If Elway got Keenum to only take a base that’s guaranteed for 2018 then QB at 1.5 may not be off the table.  That’s why we want to see the #’s. 

Edited by Broncofan

Yeah, I don't see any way QB is out of the picture at 5. I'll agree with Dan, we aren't trading up for a QB now, that much is certain. The reality is we lost on Cousins for a variety of reasons, but we need a competent starter to make it to the season. A QBOTF is probably still in play, but there are guys likely to go ahead of us and we can start trading too many picks because of the other holes. 

Keenum is getting 2/$36MM and it's not all guaranteed. The structure is likely quite favorable from a team standpoint. I would imagine this means our approach is to wait and see how the board falls. If the QB we want is there at 5, we take him, if he's not, we size up the talent + weigh any offers that come from a desperate team and go from there. I'm not saying it's what I'd have done, but the consequences of winning meaningless games that landed us 5th overall are now coming back to bite us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Although Elway won't rule it out is a huge caveat. If Josh Rosen is there at 5, I suspect we take him. I think the point is that taking Keenum gets us a competent starter where we might have issues landing one in the draft without trading up. This way, if the guy we do want is there, we take him, but if not we don't get pigeon holed into just taking a QB.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Although Elway won't rule it out is a huge caveat. If Josh Rosen is there at 5, I suspect we take him. I think the point is that taking Keenum gets us a competent starter where we might have issues landing one in the draft without trading up. This way, if the guy we do want is there, we take him, but if not we don't get pigeon holed into just taking a QB.

Nailed it.  Oh and there's still cap room to address other needs and depth.  Room that wouldn't have been there if we signed Cousins.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Reading AAA just makes me want a Cam Jordan next to Von that guy is a relentless beast. Bpa all the way ! Bpa all the way! I think Keenum could of won it all with a Cam Jordan reminding foles why he's  a backup. 

I don’t think Denver goes QB at #5.  To be honest, even though Elway came out and said he wasn’t afraid to swing and miss, IMO, he was petrified of having to use the 5th pick in the draft on a QB, where he and this organization have failed multiple times with premium draft picks.

Keenum was safe, they’ll use another solid chunk of FA money along the OL.  Try to hit some bargains with what’s remaining, and IMO, trade back from #5 and try and litter this team with young cheap talent.  

Just now, germ-x said:

I don’t think Denver goes QB at #5.  To be honest, even though Elway came out and said he wasn’t afraid to swing and miss, IMO, he was petrified of having to use the 5th pick in the draft on a QB, where he and this organization have failed multiple times with premium draft picks.

Keenum was safe, they’ll use another solid chunk of FA money along the OL.  Try to hit some bargains with what’s remaining, and IMO, trade back from #5 and try and litter this team with young cheap talent.  

The question is, in this scenario, what is Elway's excuse if Keenum sucks?  Another year of subpar QB play will have the fans up in arms.  They can fire Vance but that won't alone fix the issue.  If a QB isn't drafted at #5 that leaves either a later round prospect, Lynch, or Kelly as the only options of a QBOTF.  I just don't see that working out at all

• Like 1

So Stokley and Zach on The Fan are saying 100% that QB is out of the question at No. 5. 

I agree with them. One, Keenum isn't going to want a highly-drafted rookie over his shoulder, one or two bad games you think this fan base is going to not start calling loudly for whomever that No. 5 QB pick is. No way. I would wager he wanted at least a handshake agreement from Elway that we won't do that to him. 

Two, a rookie taken so early, isn't going to want to sit behind Case Keenum. Baker Mayfield (who is a little d*** who I expect to be a complete bust) said he wouldn't want to sit behind future Hall of Famer Eli Manning. No way Darnold or Rosen will want to either. 

Taking a QB at No. 5 is not in the cards. Maybe we take one of those developmental prospects like Falk later on but I don't see us doing it early.

I can't believe we did this. What a mistake. This is as bad as hiring Vance instead of Kyle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

The question is, in this scenario, what is Elway's excuse if Keenum sucks?  Another year of subpar QB play will have the fans up in arms.  They can fire Vance but that won't alone fix the issue.  If a QB isn't drafted at #5 that leaves either a later round prospect, Lynch, or Kelly as the only options of a QBOTF.  I just don't see that working out at all

Agreed 10000000000% 

One of the rookies, even Allen or Mayfield, would have a honeymoon period to develop. It would have given Vance some job security and the fan base would have had patience. When Keenum plays like what he is - a below-average NFL QB with a weak arm who is a backup level talent making elite QB money - fans are going to start turning cars over. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So Stokley and Zach on The Fan are saying 100% that QB is out of the question at No. 5. 

I agree with them. One, Keenum isn't going to want a highly-drafted rookie over his shoulder, one or two bad games you think this fan base is going to not start calling loudly for whomever that No. 5 QB pick is. No way. I would wager he wanted at least a handshake agreement from Elway that we won't do that to him. 

Two, a rookie taken so early, isn't going to want to sit behind Case Keenum. Baker Mayfield (who is a little d*** who I expect to be a complete bust) said he wouldn't want to sit behind future Hall of Famer Eli Manning. No way Darnold or Rosen will want to either. 

Taking a QB at No. 5 is not in the cards. Maybe we take one of those developmental prospects like Falk later on but I don't see us doing it early.

I can't believe we did this. What a mistake. This is as bad as hiring Vance instead of Kyle. 

Again though we need to see the contract #’s.   Those don’t lie.