Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Or what if Keenum turns out to be the below-average QB he’s been for five of his six pro seasons while Josh Rosen goes on to be an All Pro but we traded with the Bills to draft a ILB and a OG. 

I said Keenum + a QB at 5 would be the worst thing we could do but now I hope that is what we do as long as the QB at 5 is Allen, Darnold or Rosen. I didn’t think we’d actually sign Keenum. 

I think I’m gonna be sick.

I have to be honest - I think the only QB I would draft at 1.5 is Rosen - and even then I would be quite apprehensive.

I have said before that it was Cousins or a QB at 1.5 - that is gone out the window.

Now that the choice is Keenum I am hoping that Kubiak knows something that fans don't and that Keenum is the Keenum of last season and not the Keenum of previous seasons. Of the FAs available after Cousins, Keenum was the best option.

Saying that I now want Elway to build the offence around him - trade down - get a OG and an OT (not gone on Soldier) another RB another WR and work from there. The defence also needs some help - particularly if Wolfe is done - but if the right deal is available the Broncos could have a raft of picks in the top 100 - and here is hoping Elway's drafting record improves dramatically.

3 hours ago, IronJ said:

Yes, by no means easy...But if you have a 4-5 year plan in NFL your getting canned.  Half a decade is forever.  2 years if you have good coaching and figure out a Qb.  You have to draft well and make smart choices with contracts!

Not saying that's what our plan is... just think if a window were to open where the Broncos would be legitimate contenders again it would be no sooner.

Lots of reporters out there speculating that QB is not off the table at No. 5 overall. It’s speculation, there’s no “a source inside Dove Valley says.....” and most of it centers around the fact that we’re going to the OU and UCLA pro days tomorrow and Thursday. 

Two possibilities. 

One, we still will consider a QB at No. 5 if there’s one there we like or two, more likely IMO, we want to keep teams thinking we’ll take a QB there for trade down reasons. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Lots of reporters out there speculating that QB is not off the table at No. 5 overall. It’s speculation, there’s no “a source inside Dove Valley says.....” and most of it centers around the fact that we’re going to the OU and UCLA pro days tomorrow and Thursday. 

Two possibilities. 

One, we still will consider a QB at No. 5 if there’s one there we like or two, more likely IMO, we want to keep teams thinking we’ll take a QB there for trade down reasons. 

I'm sure there's more of the latter, but I remain convinced that is Rosen is around at 5, Denver will strongly consider it. Klis is most plugged in, and he says it's not off the table but eludes to the fact the situation must be right.

Candidly, I think the option of taking Mason Rudolph or Jackson, or hell, even Mike White could be on the table in 2nd round. I rule nothing out. Denver has many holes, there's an unlimited number of options. A trade down could very well happen, even before the draft. Arizona, Buffalo, or someone else could be the partner at this point.

Really don’t understand the panic.  All seems based on the certainty that now we’re going to pass on the future Hall-of-Famer Josh Rosen at 5. A few observations:

1. case was the 2nd best QB available behind Cousins.

2. we don’t even know the terms of the agreement yet.  All speculation.

3. We need a Vet QB no matter what, to mentor and because this team will NOT throw a not yet ready for prime time rookie QB out there day 1.

4. So delta is - What- $6M this year and next year vs a what Josh McCown contract?

5. Unlikely Rosen will be there at 5.  If we want Darnold or Rosen, we’d have to move up to at least 3.  What would that cost - our 2nd? More?  

6. I fully expect at 5 there is a 50/50chance we’d be down to the 4th QB available.  How comfortable are all of you with throwing Mayfield or Rosen out there Day 1?

7. Without a viable QB on the roster prior to the Draft, Elway has no options.  He HAS to either be held hostage in a Trade up, or be willing to take the dregs at 5, whoever that might be.  Now, he has options.

There was really no perfect solution here.  This derisks everything for Elway, at the relative low worst case cost of $6M this year and next.

Do I like Keenum? Not particularly.  Is there anybody else out there better, for the price? Doesn’t look like it. Is he our QBOTF? No. Is ANYBODY saying he is? Only those putting words in the Front Offices Mouth.  

Ill evaluate this after I see the contract, see what the other available QB’s sign for, see how the draft falls - maybe even after a couple years to see how the rookies pan out.  But does this make sense to me as a logical move by Elway to derisk the situation and give him maximum flexibility?  Yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think that's quite perceptive. It does add value to our #5 pick.

37 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Really don’t understand the panic.  All seems based on the certainty that now we’re going to pass on the future Hall-of-Famer Josh Rosen at 5. A few observations:

3. We need a Vet QB no matter what, to mentor and because this team will NOT throw a not yet ready for prime time rookie QB out there day 1.

4. So delta is - What- $6M this year and next year vs a what Josh McCown contract?

5. Unlikely Rosen will be there at 5.  If we want Darnold or Rosen, we’d have to move up to at least 3.  What would that cost - our 2nd? More?  

6. I fully expect at 5 there is a 50/50chance we’d be down to the 4th QB available.  How comfortable are all of you with throwing Mayfield or Rosen out there Day 1?

7. Without a viable QB on the roster prior to the Draft, Elway has no options.  He HAS to either be held hostage in a Trade up, or be willing to take the dregs at 5, whoever that might be.  Now, he has options.

There was really no perfect solution here.  This derisks everything for Elway, at the relative low worst case cost of $6M this year and next.

Do I like Keenum? Not particularly.  Is there anybody else out there better, for the price? Doesn’t look like it. Is he our QBOTF? No. Is ANYBODY saying he is? Only those putting words in the Front Offices Mouth.  

Ill evaluate this after I see the contract, see what the other available QB’s sign for, see how the draft falls - maybe even after a couple years to see how the rookies pan out.  But does this make sense to me as a logical move by Elway to derisk the situation and give him maximum flexibility?  Yes.

I always love the way you put out a complete argument. Good job!

Edited by AKRNA
spelling

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Two possibilities. 

Thats what I said a day ago

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

We have to see the whole picture before drawling conclusions.  Keenum had a first round tender with the rams while not being qbotf he still can be serviceable. 

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Apparently people think that no one will buy the keenum situation though. Looking at,what the jets and cards did yesterday, even the Bills. I think we'll win that staredown.

You might be right. Arizona needs a QB. The Jets are definitely not committed long term. Buffalo needs a QB. The Dolphins are in the market. There's a LOT of interest in moving up. I would prefer to trade with the Bills, but to be honest, Miami is going to be garbage this year, so getting their picks plus a 2019 first would be heavenly.