Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

If Sam Darnold doesn't go #1 or #4 to Cleveland, wouldn't he be the most viable option for the Broncos at #5?  The reason is, that he is just 20-years old.  He needs a few years to red shirt, I don't care how good you are, being 20 years old in the NFL and starting right away could ruin him.  Let the Broncos' draft him, let him sit behind Keenum...trade/cut Pax...keep Kelly just in case he is can be a fraction of his uncle's talent (then you have a keeper and trade bait).  Then groom Darnold who seems to have lights out work ethic, natural leadership abilities, and he has prototypical size...but at 20-years old, I don't think all of those characteristics matter.  

The CLE pick of Hyde in FA almost certainly takes them out of the Barkley sweepstakes and locks them to QB at 1.1.

Three implications: 

1.  CLE could deal 1.4 to BUF.  That almost certainly means 3 QB go ahead of us.   For sure 2 would.   What NYG does becomes the key.   Barkley is the guy they could pass QB for (or a NYG trade down they need OL help and talent across the board like us).  

2.  CLE  could stand pat and take Minkah Fitzpatrick or Bradley Chubb. That would help a trade down scenario.   I suspect Barkley would not make it past IND at 1.3 

3.   CLE could extend Duke Johnson - then the final impact is they probably pass on RB for 2.1 and 2.4.   That would be great because 2.7 - 3.8 would almost certainly have a RB worth considering at either pick.   I don’t believe in taking RB Rd1 unless you are HoF level (CMC Fournette and MG3 aren’t guys I’d have taken Rd1).   But Sony Michel Nick Chubb Rashaad Penny there?  Absolutely.  

The draft order once again just got a LOT more interesting.  

10 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If Sam Darnold doesn't go #1 or #4 to Cleveland, wouldn't he be the most viable option for the Broncos at #5?  The reason is, that he is just 20-years old.  He needs a few years to red shirt, I don't care how good you are, being 20 years old in the NFL and starting right away could ruin him.  Let the Broncos' draft him, let him sit behind Keenum...trade/cut Pax...keep Kelly just in case he is can be a fraction of his uncle's talent (then you have a keeper and trade bait).  Then groom Darnold who seems to have lights out work ethic, natural leadership abilities, and he has prototypical size...but at 20-years old, I don't think all of those characteristics matter.  

That’s exactly what I would do if Darnold fell to 1.5.  He and Rosen I am sold on their ceiling and floor as top of the draft picks. Not guys you pass up for because you have Keenum   

The main objection to Keenum’s signing isn’t in a vacuum - it’s if it makes Elway pass on this kind of scenario. Or Rosen for me.   For others it’s 3 guys.   

If Elway doesn’t pass on a Darnold/Rosen at 1.5 then my objections go away.  If neither are there then we move on no worries.  

If either are there at 1.5  I’d be sad at the $ lost with committing to Keenum’s bonus but that would be a decision made purely in hindsight.  And it’s small potatoes to getting your QBOTF franchise guy locked up.   But passing up on those 2 if they are there would be a colossal mistake.  That’s the concern. 

Edited by Broncofan

I still think we need a QB, to be honest, but drafting one at 5, hell at any point in rounds 1-3, is going to create an instant QB controversy. 

There would be no way that, sans Keenum playing like Peyton circa 2013, that the coaches and players wouldn’t be asked incessantly about the QB situation. It would be the over-arching story of camp - Team Case or Team Rosen - all over again. 

Truthfully, despite The Fan’s best efforts to paint Case Keenum as Aaron Rodgers, this is not a move that has over terribly well with the fan base and while some are still in that honeymoon period trying to convince themselves he’s a franchise QB, if Machinegun Kelly has a good half of a series in a preseason game there’s going to be a QB controversy, at least among the fans. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I still think we need a QB, to be honest, but drafting one at 5, hell at any point in rounds 1-3, is going to create an instant QB controversy. 

There would be no way that, sans Keenum playing like Peyton circa 2013, that the coaches and players wouldn’t be asked incessantly about the QB situation. It would be the over-arching story of camp - Team Case or Team Rosen - all over again. 

Truthfully, despite The Fan’s best efforts to paint Case Keenum as Aaron Rodgers, this is not a move that has over terribly well with the fan base and while some are still in that honeymoon period trying to convince themselves he’s a franchise QB, if Machinegun Kelly has a good half of a series in a preseason game there’s going to be a QB controversy, at least among the fans. 

I don't think there would be a controversy with Darnold...he just 20 years old..dude can't even order a drink....and he would expect to start at QB for the Broncos in the NFL right away?  I don't think so.  And, with a 2-year contract, Keenum can't complain about the Broncos grooming him for a few years.  Darnold would be 22 years old when Keenum's contract ends...not a bad time to start in the NFL.  To me, this scenario makes the most sense.  I hope the Rosen/Mayfield visits are smoke screens for the other teams.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The CLE pick of Hyde in FA almost certainly takes them out of the Barkley sweepstakes and locks them to QB at 1.1.

Three implications: 

1.  CLE could deal 1.4 to BUF.  That almost certainly means 3 QB go ahead of us.   For sure 2 would.   What NYG does becomes the key.   Barkley is the guy they could pass QB for (or a NYG trade down they need OL help and talent across the board like us).  

2.  CLE  could stand pat and take Minkah Fitzpatrick or Bradley Chubb. That would help a trade down scenario.   I suspect Barkley would not make it past IND at 1.3 

3.   CLE could extend Duke Johnson - then the final impact is they probably pass on RB for 2.1 and 2.4.   That would be great because 2.7 - 3.8 would almost certainly have a RB worth considering at either pick.   I don’t believe in taking RB Rd1 unless you are HoF level (CMC Fournette and MG3 aren’t guys I’d have taken Rd1).   But Sony Michel Nick Chubb Rashaad Penny there?  Absolutely.  

The draft order once again just got a LOT more interesting.  

I heard the niners love Guice.

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I heard the niners love Guice.

They won’t take him 1.10 though. Too soon.  And he likely won’t be there even to us at 2.7 don’t see him there at 2.11 to them.  

They just signed McKinnon to be their lightning.  Probably get a thumper later.  McKinnon fits the Shanahan RB model to to a T.  But FA RB is just too expensive.  Not worth it given how cheap the rookie deals are esp once you are in Rd 2-3.   

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They won’t take him 1.10 though. Too soon.  And he likely won’t be there even to us at 2.7 don’t see him there at 2.11 to them.  

They just signed McKinnon to be their lightning.  Probably get a thumper later.  McKinnon fits the Shanahan RB model to to a T.  But FA RB is just too expensive.  Not worth it given how cheap the rookie deals are esp once you are in Rd 2-3.   

Following the Shanahan model, they're going to look for adept RBs at running and receiving. McKinnon is more of the latter. Sony Michel seems like a very solid pick for the Niners honestly. Could also see Royce Freeman fitting that mold well.

Just now, broncos67 said:

Following the Shanahan model, they're going to look for adept RBs at running and receiving. McKinnon is more of the latter. Sony Michel seems like a very solid pick for the Niners honestly. Could also see Royce Freeman fitting that mold well.

I love Royce Freeman for us

10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I love Michel at 2.7 for us TBH. I could see Freeman Rd 2 for SF. Or Ronald Jones later in Rd 3.   Freeman’s mileage (despite his great short area quickness) worries me a ton.  Plus hard to tell how good his vision is because the holes created by ORE system are huge. I would much rather have Michel by a mile.  Jones pro day is huge for him.  He’s not JC lite but he needs to show he’s got at least their level of speed / athleticism not to fall back behind Michel / Freeman.  

I do agree SF wants pass catchers.  Any thumper also has to be better at pass catching than Hyde was.  It’s why they let him walk. 

Edited by Broncofan

Shawn Drotar, who I think is one of the more under-rated guys in Denver media, has a good column up at Mile High Sports about how even with signing Keenum we've done nothing to solve the QB issue long-term. 

Shawn's argument is pretty straight-forward - if Keenum plays well he's due for another pay-day, and possibly one outside our price range for a 32 year old, in just two seasons. And if he plays poorly,  as he has for all but one season of his career (again, on a stacked team with an excellent coaching staff that played 11 games indoors) we can get out of the contract in two years, but also are right back at square one with no long-term solution. 

Another reason why this decision is a head-scratcher, even if Elway is trying to go the aforementioned Minnesota/Jacksonville model in trying to win with a game-manager supported by a stacked surrounding roster. 

• Like 1

from a long time Viking fan:

Keenum pros:

• great team player, inspires trust in other players
  • takes care of the ball well
  • incredibly elusive in the pocket
  • healthy and durable

Keenum cons:

• inconsistent
  • was bailed out many, many times by receivers making highlight reel catches
  • not particularly aggressive
  • locks on to his first or second option

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

from a long time Viking fan:

Keenum pros:

• great team player, inspires trust in other players
  • takes care of the ball well
  • incredibly elusive in the pocket
  • healthy and durable

Keenum cons:

• inconsistent
  • was bailed out many, many times by receivers making highlight reel catches
  • not particularly aggressive
  • locks on to his first or second option

Inconsistent is tough even though wrs bailed him out he only threw 7 ints. The aggressive I just don't aggree he evades, gets hit, makes miraculous throws often.