Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

I was listening to The Fan morning show on my way in this morning and Troy Renck, who is filling in this week for Stink, said something that caught my ear. 

He said that, as soon as they realized that Cousins was leaning towards Minnesota, they zeroed-in on Case. He was "the guy" for the last month or so. This gives me pause because, we've all said many times, that Elway and this Front Office seem to zero-in on guys in the draft and then take them, or better said, reach for them. It seems like we just did exactly that in free agency. Case really had no other offers, there wasn't a wild goose chase for him, he wasn't taking visits all over the league and then making a decision. I think between the Kubiak connection (U of Houston and Houston Texans) and the fact that they didn't want to be left without a chair when the music stopped forced us to make a quick decision.

It was always going to be Case, just like in the draft last year it was always going to be Bolles (so much so they even thought about trading up for him) and in the coaching search it was always going to be Vance. That portends poorly for this upcoming draft, seems they haven't learned from their past mistakes. 

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I was listening to The Fan morning show on my way in this morning and Troy Renck, who is filling in this week for Stink, said something that caught my ear. 

He said that, as soon as they realized that Cousins was leaning towards Minnesota, they zeroed-in on Case. He was "the guy" for the last month or so. This gives me pause because, we've all said many times, that Elway and this Front Office seem to zero-in on guys in the draft and then take them, or better said, reach for them. It seems like we just did exactly that in free agency. Case really had no other offers, there wasn't a wild goose chase for him, he wasn't taking visits all over the league and then making a decision. I think between the Kubiak connection (U of Houston and Houston Texans) and the fact that they didn't want to be left without a chair when the music stopped forced us to make a quick decision.

It was always going to be Case, just like in the draft last year it was always going to be Bolles (so much so they even thought about trading up for him) and in the coaching search it was always going to be Vance. That portends poorly for this upcoming draft, seems they haven't learned from their past mistakes. 

I was talking with a friend and I said something very similar.  I think there is 1 maybe 2 QBs Elway likes and if they fall he will pick them otherwise I think he has players in mind that he is going to draft come hell or high water, like seemingly every year.

If the QB and overall offensive play doesn't improve Elway will really start hearing the unhappiness.  People get really tired of watching 3 and outs even with an elite D.  

My friend (Dolphins fan) did say he thought it would be very Elway to have Chad Kelly pan out and make him look like a genius for not drafting a QB or breaking the bank for Cousins.  

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'm not totally certain I agree with you, although I do understand your point. Zeroing in on someone in the draft is radically different than free agency. The draft has so many variables that make honing in on a player a bad idea. Free agency is the complete opposite. You need to hone in on the players you want. Plan A was Cousins, but I'm sure it's true that Elway and Co. felt it wasn't a smart use of time pursuing someone who would never come here. Keenum, more than the other QBs arguably gives us a better plan of attack going into the draft. If we didn't land Keenum or Cousins, then you're in a really untenable position with even worse QBs, many of whom signed for a year, and you peg yourself into having to draft QB at 5 (or higher).

I guess my point is- in Free Agency, you have to hone in, in the draft, you shouldn't.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not totally certain I agree with you, although I do understand your point. Zeroing in on someone in the draft is radically different than free agency. The draft has so many variables that make honing in on a player a bad idea. Free agency is the complete opposite. You need to hone in on the players you want. Plan A was Cousins, but I'm sure it's true that Elway and Co. felt it wasn't a smart use of time pursuing someone who would never come here. Keenum, more than the other QBs arguably gives us a better plan of attack going into the draft. If we didn't land Keenum or Cousins, then you're in a really untenable position with even worse QBs, many of whom signed for a year, and you peg yourself into having to draft QB at 5 (or higher).

I guess my point is- in Free Agency, you have to hone in, in the draft, you shouldn't.

Good points all around.