Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

4 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Sounds like 2 years 36MM or so with Keenum. That's complete no man's land. I have no clue where that will ultimately land us in the draft. #5 is still not out of the realm of possibility.

We were never gonna get Keenum for 1 year guaranteed. That would be completely absurd. 

6 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

What happens it he Broncos land Solder, they draft a few linemen in what seems like a good OL class...we get a solid CB in FA and in the draft...we sign a guy like Preston Brown...sign a solid interior lineman?  I believe I read that that the Broncos have the fourth easiest schedule next year...and we will see what Mustgrave can do as an OC.  

We just spent 20M.   We have room for 1 more FA like Solder or James.  So I think OL we can fix.  

The rest we can’t afford.  

Den schedule is the NFCW with their secondaries and the AFC East.   It’s not too 10 toughest but also not close to a bottom 5 schedule sadly. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

We just spent 20M.   We have room for 1 more FA like Solder or James.  So I think OL we fix.  

The rest we can’t afford.  

Den schedule is the NFCW with their secondaries and the AFC East.   It’s not too 10 toughest but also not close to a bottom 5 schedule sadly. 

Oh my bad...5th easiest schedule.  I don't make this sh***t up...it's science. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-strength-of-schedule-texans-have-it-easiest-packers-face-roughest-ride/

I think there is a bit more money out there for FA signing...after not putting all that money towards Cousins it seems like you could eek out 2-3 more FAs...and, I am also looking for a few more trades/cuts to be made...namely to Menelik and CJ.

20 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Oh my bad...5th easiest schedule.  I don't make this sh***t up...it's science. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-strength-of-schedule-texans-have-it-easiest-packers-face-roughest-ride/

I think there is a bit more money out there for FA signing...after not putting all that money towards Cousins it seems like you could eek out 2-3 more FAs...and, I am also looking for a few more trades/cuts to be made...namely to Menelik and CJ.

That's 5th easiest schedule by W-L record.  Not easiest/hardest schedule for QB's. 

Watson/CJ are gone, that's a lock - that saves us 9M more.  Either way, though, we won't get 3-4 impact FA's.   We'll get 1 more for sure, either via FA or trade.  But that's it.   

We had more $ last year, and got 2 impact guys, and we didn't spend as much on them as we did Keenum.   Assuming Keenum will use up 16M+ of our 30M space, we'll get 9M for CJ/Watson - that gives us about 22-24M left.   Realistically, that gives 1 big impact guy.  And then we're in the bargain bin.    It's why we need to hit on the draft so badly.   FA only gets you so far, unless you can find gold in the bargain bin.   Sadly, to make a major impact, usually it's impact FA's you need, especially if it's a premium position.    Stewart & Pot Roast (and even Shelby Harris) were bargains available not just because of Elway's acumen (full credit there though) but also because the positions aren't nearly in demand, either, like CB's, or pass rush, etc.

Remember, when it comes to impact FA's, it's not how much we have - it's how much we have relative to the field.    Once we spend on Keenum, we'll get 1 more impact guy.    We can hope to find value bargains, but that well is a lot dryer than it used to be, given our struggles (we can't entice guys to come at a discount anymore, as we're not the same type of 1-guy away contenders).

Edited by Broncofan

Sign Keenum is simply the worst thing that this FO make.

Stop gap QB , only 1 year the rest of his carrer is insane. Kubiak make this move and not draft a QB in this draft when you have the fifth pick is a professional mistake.

We are the new Chiago Bears.

Elway and co are certain that we are 1 piece away to be a contender , this is a joke !!!!

We need to rebuild ans start by playing rookie QB 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

That was also January 25th lol. Thats not bad we'll see on Buffalo. 

Sure, but it's not "alarmingly accurate".  We knew WAS wasn't getting a rookie and Smith was leaving KC.   WAS-Smith was a common scenario.   Not bad and alarmingly accurate are worlds apart.   That's all I'm saying.   Cousins to MIN was a scenario that many were calling even then, once MIN lost.    So he doesn't really come off as particularly great at the calls here. 

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sure, but it's not "alarmingly accurate".  We knew WAS wasn't getting a rookie and Smith was leaving KC.   WAS-Smith was a common scenario.   Not bad and alarmingly accurate are worlds apart.   That's all I'm saying.   Cousins to MIN was a scenario that many were calling even then, once MIN lost.    So he doesn't really come off as particularly great at the calls here. 

Cousins has been linked to everywhere since January 25th. We'll see what else comes true. Cleveland was hard because there were thoughts  Hue loved  Mccarron, Dorsey loved Smith. I'm  shocked taylor got near Smith trade value.

Edited by thebestever6

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

http://presnapreads.com/2017/11/28/case-keenum-and-the-season-of-supporting-casts/

This will definitely back @Broncofan main point about the supporting cast. Not a lot to get excited about in that article lol

That article actually depresses me more than I already was at the thought of Keenum beyond a 1-year bridge role.

Please, let the deal have enough of a 1-year-only component so we don't pass on 1.5 QB no matter how the board falls.   

There's plenty of good and bad with Case Keenum.

The thing is he needs to be in a good situation to succeed. Shurmur, along with a lot of offensive talent helped him tremendously.

Notably, Keenum is very mobile, making defenders miss, scrambling for large gains or improvising long enough to find a receiver open downfield. He did this all season long.

It was a lot of fun, but the drawback was that at times he wouldn't see the defensive back and he'd get picked. At times he put the OL in a bad situation, with all his "dancing"/waiting for things to open up when nothing was there.

He tends to trust his top 3 targets and will largely ignore the rest. Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph all had big years, but they were the only ones he looked at. Floyd, Treadwell and Wright were getting open but he wouldn't look their way. If you include RBs (McKinnon), then you can say he only looks at most 4 players.

Shurmur was huge this past season. Dude knows what he's doing, and it got him a HC gig. I don't trust Bill Musgrave. He's creative but not particularly effective. 

Of course, I think the defense helped Keenum too. He wasn't asked to carry the team. When he was asked to (first Detroit game, Carolina and Philadelphia) he failed miserably.

Overall, for 2 years its an okay deal. I hope you guys still get a QB early though. Keenum is not a Franchise QB.

• Like 2