Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

There's plenty of good and bad with Case Keenum.

The thing is he needs to be in a good situation to succeed. Shurmur, along with a lot of offensive talent helped him tremendously.

Notably, Keenum is very mobile, making defenders miss, scrambling for large gains or improvising long enough to find a receiver open downfield. He did this all season long.

It was a lot of fun, but the drawback was that at times he wouldn't see the defensive back and he'd get picked. At times he put the OL in a bad situation, with all his "dancing"/waiting for things to open up when nothing was there.

He tends to trust his top 3 targets and will largely ignore the rest. Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph all had big years, but they were the only ones he looked at. Floyd, Treadwell and Wright were getting open but he wouldn't look their way. If you include RBs (McKinnon), then you can say he only looks at most 4 players.

Shurmur was huge this past season. Dude knows what he's doing, and it got him a HC gig. I don't trust Bill Musgrave. He's creative but not particularly effective. 

Of course, I think the defense helped Keenum too. He wasn't asked to carry the team. When he was asked to (first Detroit game, Carolina and Philadelphia) he failed miserably.

Overall, for 2 years its an okay deal. I hope you guys still get a QB early though. Keenum is not a Franchise QB.

Luckily for him we only have 2 targets worth throwing to

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

After watching videos on Keenum. His footwork is awesome, pocket movent, agility, while keeping eyes down field amazing. 

I'm gonna say what I felt after watching that. Denver won't draft a qb high. They believe Keenum and Chad Kelly are the future.

agree with you. and I think will be good with musgrave

13 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Luckily for him we only have 2 targets worth throwing to

Lol

That could change. Maybe Keenum will lobby for McKinnon?

I think you guys need to find another starting potential receiver though since both Sanders and Thomas are at or nearing the end of their prime.

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

There's plenty of good and bad with Case Keenum.

The thing is he needs to be in a good situation to succeed. Shurmur, along with a lot of offensive talent helped him tremendously.

Notably, Keenum is very mobile, making defenders miss, scrambling for large gains or improvising long enough to find a receiver open downfield. He did this all season long.

It was a lot of fun, but the drawback was that at times he wouldn't see the defensive back and he'd get picked. At times he put the OL in a bad situation, with all his "dancing"/waiting for things to open up when nothing was there.

He tends to trust his top 3 targets and will largely ignore the rest. Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph all had big years, but they were the only ones he looked at. Floyd, Treadwell and Wright were getting open but he wouldn't look their way. If you include RBs (McKinnon), then you can say he only looks at most 4 players.

Shurmur was huge this past season. Dude knows what he's doing, and it got him a HC gig. I don't trust Bill Musgrave. He's creative but not particularly effective. 

Of course, I think the defense helped Keenum too. He wasn't asked to carry the team. When he was asked to (first Detroit game, Carolina and Philadelphia) he failed miserably.

Overall, for 2 years its an okay deal. I hope you guys still get a QB early though. Keenum is not a Franchise QB.

And guys, before you think @SteelKing728 is posting out of sour grapes (he's a big MIN fan) - remember, they're getting Cousins.   So it's not like the fanbase has any reason to malign Keenum.

They have the biggest reasons to be his biggest supporters, and yet this is the take you see all the time.   From the guys who know him best.

I don't mind him at all as a bridge, but he's not a guy you tie your future to at 18-20M long-term.   Or pass up a true QBOTF at 1.5 for if he's there.

P.S.  Thx for dropping by, always nice to get a take from the other fanbases that know newly acquired players well.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

We were never gonna get Keenum for 1 year guaranteed. That would be completely absurd. 

I don't get it lol.  It was always going to follow the Bears Glennon model last year.  Every team (jets, broncos, cards, vikes) without a QB is gonna be in the Cousins lottery, and when they strike out there, they're forced to go the Bears 2017 offseason route (especially the jets and broncos) - 2 year deal to a questionable QB + early draft pick on QB.

It's not a bad formula to follow.  If your first round QB looks awesome, you're doing what the Chiefs did and you're trading the vet for assets and letting the rookie take over.

We're in a good spot.  $18m is the going rate for bottom half of the league starting QB.  It's a lot but that's the league.  Mike freakin Glennon got $15m last year to start, this is the right price.

I'm happy to have a QB for the first time in 3+ years who can get our receivers the ball (even our SB year Manning couldn't get our guys the ball).  Find another tackle and the QB's on this roster might even have the time to get the ball to their receivers, imagine that!

21 minutes ago, brncos4life said:

watching that top 10 he,looked really good. always keeps his eyes downfield. I feel good about the signing and his confidence level has gotta be up there. we don't spend all our money on cousins and can fix other pieces and plenty of draft picks. 

I just think I'm  with Arkna. Denver believes the games are won in the trenches the team will be built around this.

Also long term I believe they want Chad Kelly to get  a shot. And they'll keep lynch because of the dead money. Also Keenum is a solid bridge qb. 

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And guys, before you think @SteelKing728 is posting out of sour grapes - remember, they're getting Cousins.   So it's not like the fanbase has any reason to malign Keenum.

They have the biggest reasons to be his biggest supporters, and yet this is the take you see all the time.   From the guys who know him best.

I don't mind him at all as a bridge, but he's not a guy you tie your future to at 18-20M long-term.   Or pass up a true QBOTF at 1.5 for if he's there.

Yeah, no sour grapes. Im glad Keenum stepped up for us. We didn't win the Superbowl, but the season wasn't wasted either.

Give him something to work with and he'll be fun to watch.

I'm rooting for Keenum and the Broncos to do well. You guys have dealt with more crap at the QB position than the Vikings have, but maybe starting this season that changes completely!

6 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

I don't get it lol.  It was always going to follow the Bears Glennon model last year.  Every team (jets, broncos, cards, vikes) without a QB is gonna be in the Cousins lottery, and when they strike out there, they're forced to go the Bears 2017 offseason route (especially the jets and broncos) - 2 year deal to a questionable QB + early draft pick on QB.

It's not a bad formula to follow.  If your first round QB looks awesome, you're doing what the Chiefs did and you're trading the vet for assets and letting the rookie take over.

We're in a good spot.  $18m is the going rate for bottom half of the league starting QB.  It's a lot but that's the league.  Mike freakin Glennon got $15m last year to start, this is the right price.

The key part you may have missed - Renck & Klis have said Sunday & Monday that if Elway commits multiple years to Keenum in guaranteed $, he's not taking rookie QB 1.5 - only considering rookie at 1.5 if it's a 1-year deal.  As usual, everything else they've said has come to pass (and their draft calls have been spot on in prior years too).   So we're waiting to see how today's #'s work, and what they say next.

So we're all waiting to see if Keenum is actually paid 1-year guaranteed or 2 years.  Frankly, if Elway got Keenum to 1-year guaranteed, then I tip my cap again to his prowess - as the #2 QB on the market, it was a foregone conclusion he'd get more than 1 year guaranteed.  

Glennon's deal was only 1-year guaranteed (some cap hit in 2018 because of the 2-year deal bonus goes to 2018).  We're waiting to see if Keenum got only the 1 year, or 2.   Big difference.

Most of us (if not all) agree he's not anything more than a bridge.   Most of us want to see rookie QB 1.5 as long as some crazy QB run doesn't happen (less likely with Barkley/Chubb combines but not impossible).   

Edited by Broncofan

I was with the lady last night when I caught wind of this news, to say her and I were both disappointed would be an understatement. 

My initial gut reaction was, "when was the last time this team made a move of consequence that I truly liked?" We talked about getting Jake Butt in the 5th round last year. I guess the Ron Leary signing worked out. But that's scraping the bottom of the barrel pretty hard.

Hiring Vance instead of Kyle went over like a lead balloon with the fan base , no one was at all excited about our free agency work last spring and the draft was a complete debacle. Add in letting Wade walk and bringing in Mac's protege as OC were awful decisions which I, and some others, justly criticized at the time. At least they righted one of those wrongs. I have no idea why Vance was retained other than because cheapskate Joe Ellis didn't want to pay out the rest of his contract. Signing a noodled-armed, one-hit wonder to be our franchise QB, and for $18m are you kidding me? What a disaster. Given the track record, I'm sure they'll find a way to screw up the draft again too. 

Oh well, at the least the Rockies look primed to contend in the NL West again. And it's nice to see Tiger back. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I was with the lady last night when I caught wind of this news, to say her and I were both disappointed would be an understatement. 

My initial gut reaction was, "when was the last time this team made a move of consequence that I truly liked?" We talked about getting Jake Butt in the 5th round last year. I guess the Ron Leary signing worked out. But that's scraping the bottom of the barrel pretty hard.

Hiring Vance instead of Kyle went over like a lead balloon with the fan base , no one was at all excited about our free agency work last spring and the draft was a complete debacle. Add in letting Wade walk and bringing in Mac's protege as OC were awful decisions which I, and some others, justly criticized at the time. At least they righted one of those wrongs. I have no idea why Vance was retained other than because cheapskate Joe Ellis didn't want to pay out the rest of his contract. Signing a noodled-armed, one-hit wonder to be our franchise QB, and for $18m are you kidding me? What a disaster. Given the track record, I'm sure they'll find a way to screw up the draft again too. 

Oh well, at the least the Rockies look primed to contend in the NL West again. And it's nice to see Tiger back. 

I thought Peko was the best signing.

The NFLN guy is talking about how everyone at Dove Valley loves this move and they see Keenum as "sure-fire, day-one starter" and that makes everyone happy. 

Give me a break. Maybe we can claw our way up from 5-11 to 7-9 this year. Whooo! Hoooo!!

What a disgrace this franchise has become. Looking at the other pro teams in the state, Joe Sakic, Artura Karnisovas and Jeff Bridich are all laughing at John Elway today. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The key part you may have missed - Renck & Klis have said Sunday & Monday that if Elway commits multiple years to Keenum in guaranteed $, he's not taking rookie QB 1.5 - only considering rookie at 1.5 if it's a 1-year deal.  As usual, everything else they've said has come to pass (and their draft calls have been spot on in prior years too).   So we're waiting to see how today's #'s work, and what they say next.

So we're all waiting to see if Keenum is actually paid 1-year guaranteed or 2 years.  Frankly, if Elway got Keenum to 1-year guaranteed, then I tip my cap again to his prowess - as the #2 QB on the market, it was a foregone conclusion he'd get more than 1 year guaranteed.  

Glennon's deal was only 1-year guaranteed (some cap hit in 2018 because of the 2-year deal bonus goes to 2018).  We're waiting to see if Keenum got only the 1 year, or 2.   Big difference.

Most of us (if not all) agree he's not anything more than a bridge.   Most of us want to see rookie QB 1.5 as long as some crazy QB run doesn't happen (less likely with Barkley/Chubb combines but not impossible).   

There's no way he signed for one year.  It's just a matter of how the money is distributed year to year.

As for the draft, I don't think it's in our best interest to take a QB 1.5.  There are two prospects worth taking in the top 5, they're both likely to be gone before 5.  The reason I like this signing is because now we have the flexibility to not reach for whoever we declare is the 3rd best QB.

Draft scenarios:

The Bills are going to be disgustingly desperate for a new QB, the Cardinals are in the same boat, and it looks like the Jets will be just as desperate.  The 5th pick is now incredibly attractive to QB needy teams who will be looking to make the mistake of trading ahead of the Jets.

Even if we pick at 5, we have the flexibility now to go best player available and not be handcuffed into the 3rd best QB in the draft.  We can go BPA at 5 and have the ammo available to trade back into the 20's for a guy like Mason Rudolph, or a faller like Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

No matter who the QB we signed was, he wasn't going to be Cousins, and therefore, we weren't going to get our long term solution at the position - so we were looking to the draft.  The mediocre free agent signing allows us to put the best talent we can on the roster.  Whether that  means picking 5th or trading back.