Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Didn't get this I wanted Mcvay. This was blind . As to keenum I preferred a short term deal opposed to Cousins but also Loved your strategy.

I do trust Kubiak more than most especially elway.

We didn't interview McVay. He was never on our radar. Should he have been? Perhaps. But he wasn't.

I wanted Kyle and pair him with Wade. That would have been a good move but Elway's ego and Ellis' pocket book wouldn't allow it. 

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

Exactly. The Rams are another example. When you have a good coach and a good front office you can rebound quickly. The problem, this team is a well-coached and well-run as it was when Josh McDaniels was in charge. But, hey, at least Joe Ellis didn't raise ticket prices this year. 

The rams draft class didn't have a ton to do with their success last year.  Jeff Fisher firing was addition by subtraction.  The biggest difference was they protected their QB with an investment in Whitworth, and brought in quality coaches.

That roster has been stacked for years, just brought down by a coach who should have been fired 5 years prior.

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We didn't interview McVay. He was never on our radar. Should he have been? Perhaps. But he wasn't.

I wanted Kyle and pair him with Wade. That would have been a good move but Elway's ego and Ellis' pocket book wouldn't allow it. 

I personally  think not in Mcvays case but Lynch gives Kyle too much say. Just an opinion. The Joe Williams pick comes to mind.

24 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Maybe it's 3.  My point is, the roster sucks and tying up all your cap room for the foreseeable future only makes sense when that's the last piece you need (like the Vikings).  We need more than a QB to compete and signing Cousins doesn't allow us to address other vital needs.

A stopgap was the right move, and I don't think anyone at Dove Valley is crossing QB off the draft board.  We're simply not handcuffed into taking reaching for whatever is left at 5.

If Cousins at 28M is too much, though, I'd argue Keenum at 18M is equally as bad - you are saving 10M, but in today's NFL that gets you 1 very good player more.   Or 2 decent players.    And you get much worse play at QB.    So it's an equation that trades off - both equally futile IMO...unless you have a Saints like draft - which you rightfully point out we can't expect for any team.  And given the need to succeed on Day 2, we are kidding ourselves to hope that's our case.   I'll settle for not whiffing on Day 2 badly lol.

A stopgap was the right move, and no, we shouldn't reach for QB at 1.5 either.  But we shouldn't lock ourselves out of it - that's the key Q that's being raised.   

If we are rebuilding let’s really rebuild.  Don’t go in between.  A rookie QB offers more risk but a much cleaner cap path to relevance.  It does require us to say goodbye to 2018 now.  The problem is that’s not in Elway’s DNA.  But it’s necessary. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Cousins at 28M is too much, though, I'd argue Keenum at 18M is equally as bad - you are saving 10M, but in today's NFL that gets you 1 very good player more.   Or 2 decent players.    And you get much worse play at QB.    So it's an equation that trades off - both equally futile IMO...unless you have a Saints like draft - which you rightfully point out we can't expect for any team.  And given the need to succeed on Day 2, we are kidding ourselves to hope that's our case.   I'll settle for not whiffing on Day 2 badly lol.

A stopgap was the right move, and no, we shouldn't reach for QB at 1.5 either.  But we shouldn't lock ourselves out of it - that's the key Q that's being raised.   

Also Cousins can get a nice comp pick after this deal. At least a 3. Is a 3rd rounder worth 70 million? Assuming keenum is close to a 1 yr deal.

3 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Agree, our drafts have sucked because we'd been handcuffed into needs with early picks.  This year we can really go best player available, and we've got the draft picks to trade back into the first for a falling QB.  I actually like the guys with a chance at being there in the 20's (especially Rudolph), more than reaching for whoever we think is the 3rd best QB at 5.

How is that different now? We don't have a franchise QB, we have Case Keenum, the definition of an average player. We trade back then trade up and take a major project like Jackson or Rudolph to sit on the bench and "develop." 

Change the names Case Keenum to Mark Sanchez and Mason Rudolph to Paxton Lynch and we have 2016 all over again. 

Yeah things are really looking up in the Mile High City. 

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So what do we do if Josh Rosen is on the board at No. 5 now? That's not out of the question, Cleveland goes Barkley-Allen and 1-4, the Giants take Darnold to sit behind Eli for a year or two, the Colts take Chubb. What do we do, trade down with the Bills because we have Case Keenum? Foolish. But we've just handcuffed ourselves to a what is, at best, a noodle-armed, average QB for the next two years. I think Rosen is the real deal. But, what, we trade down, get some B-level prospects at 12 and 21. We still don't have a QB, which is what you need in this league.

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

How is that different now? We don't have a franchise QB, we have Case Keenum, the definition of an average player. We trade back then trade up and take a major project like Jackson or Rudolph to sit on the bench and "develop." 

Change the names Case Keenum to Mark Sanchez and Mason Rudolph to Paxton Lynch and we have 2016 all over again. 

Yeah things are really looking up in the Mile High City. 

What's the alternative?  Cuz you're not getting one of the top 2 QB's at 5.

The problem with the approach in 2016 was that we were coming off a Super Bowl win and had an elite defense still.  We were drafting 32nd not 5th, there also wasn't a difference maker in FA at QB like Cousins.  No point comparing the two situations.

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So what do we do if Josh Rosen is on the board at No. 5 now? That's not out of the question.

Ummm... take him.  Keenum isn't going to make us pass up if one of the top 2 QB's is on the board.

We are the Bears of last year, sitting at 5 instead of 2.  If Trubisky went 1 the Bears woulda traded back.  He was there at 2 so they took him.  Glennon just bought the Bears time and gave them the option to trade back. That's all Keenum is.

Why's this so hard?

2 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Ummm... take him.  Keenum isn't going to make us pass up if one of the top 2 QB's is on the board.

We are the Bears of last year, sitting at 5 instead of 2.  If Trubisky went 1 the Bears woulda traded back.  He was there at 2 so they took him.  Glennon just bought the Bears time and gave them the option to trade back. That's all Keenum is.

Why's this so hard?

If you rub something long enough it becomes hard. 

4 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Why's this so hard?

We better not trade two seconds up to 3 for a player especially mayfield or Allen.

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So what do we do if Josh Rosen is on the board at No. 5 now? That's not out of the question, Cleveland goes Barkley-Allen and 1-4, the Giants take Darnold to sit behind Eli for a year or two, the Colts take Chubb. What do we do, trade down with the Bills because we have Case Keenum? Foolish. But we've just handcuffed ourselves to a what is, at best, a noodle-armed, average QB for the next two years. I think Rosen is the real deal. But, what, we trade down, get some B-level prospects at 12 and 21. We still don't have a QB, which is what you need in this league.

We take him.   And eat the $.  Unlike CHI we don’t have their massive cap space.  

THAT is why I would have waited for the Bradford / Bridgewater / McCown tier.  Less money and likely only 1 year total for one of those guys.  No risk we just eat a bunch of dead money.  And if rookie isn’t there - still the same result - we are rebuilding without the QBOTF.  

13 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Why's this so hard?

Because unlike CHI:

1.  We could have waited to sign a 1-year cheaper stopgap.  CHI had no equivalent options even for a stopgap.  Bridgewater / Bradford / McCarron / McCown are all going to be cheaper. 

2.   We don’t have CHI’s cap space.   They had 70M entering last offseaon and 60M this offseason.    They can throw away 15M and keep rebuilding.   18M hurts us a lot more.  And unlike CHI  last year we have cheaper alternatives available.  

No matter who we signed we are rebuilding.   And there is still the risk Elway passes on a franchise QB at 1.5 because we have Keenum.  That’s why we all want the future contract details. That would be a colossal mistake.  

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Why's this so hard?

If the reporting is to be believed, and they're all saying the same thing, national and local, Keenum is our sure-fire, day-one starter and the FO and coaching staff thinks he's a franchise QB. 

We're not taking a QB at No. 5 and sure as s**t not trading up for one. We're trading back, likely with Buffalo, and stock-piling picks because Matt Russell and John Elway have proven time and time again that they can kill it in the draft. 

I’ve got issue w comparing Keenum to Sanchez. Sanchez was a journeyman backup when we signed him. Keenum is coming off a year w essentially the same numbers as Cousins. He’s not a franchise QB, but he also isn’t a journeyman backup. He’s an average starter.