Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I think Lamar Jackson can have an understandable redshirt year. If keenum fails we try Kelly. If Jackson gets hit footwork  down, scrambles with his eyes down field he can be scary. 

If we don't plan on taking a QB at #5, and Nelson/Chubb/Barkley are gone I want to trade back and take Jackson.  He at least has a high ceiling and with the RPOs becoming more dominant he could very well pan out.  Havent watched anything buy highlights so I'm deferring to guys like @champ11 on Jackson

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So what do we do if Josh Rosen is on the board at No. 5 now? That's not out of the question, Cleveland goes Barkley-Allen and 1-4, the Giants take Darnold to sit behind Eli for a year or two, the Colts take Chubb. What do we do, trade down with the Bills because we have Case Keenum? Foolish. But we've just handcuffed ourselves to a what is, at best, a noodle-armed, average QB for the next two years. I think Rosen is the real deal. But, what, we trade down, get some B-level prospects at 12 and 21. We still don't have a QB, which is what you need in this league.

Here is something we could do - draft Rosen - and then trade Keenum to the Bills or the Cards or  the Jets.

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

If we don't plan on taking a QB at #5, and Nelson/Chubb/Barkley are gone I want to trade back and take Jackson.  He at least has a high ceiling and with the RPOs becoming more dominant he could very well pan out.  Havent watched anything buy highlights so I'm deferring to guys like @champ11 on Jackson

I'm out of likes for today otherwise I would. I think lamar is stereotyped saw it on Mcnabbs twitter and it makes sense.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I'm out of likes for today otherwise I would. I think lamar is stereotyped saw it on Mcnabbs twitter and it makes sense.

He's the one I would want but I doubt Elway goes that way.  He definitely has a type and Lamar Jackson doesn't fit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I’ll like the post for for you.   Not like you can keep them.  

(No idea yet on Lamar he was never on my radar top 10.  Have doubts Elway sees him as his ideal prototype TBH).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I’ll like the post for for you.   Not like you can keep them.  

(No idea yet on Lamar he was never on my radar top 10.  Have doubts Elway sees him as his ideal prototype TBH).

I think you're right about elway think Kubiak loves him though. 

58 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

We take him.   And eat the $.  Unlike CHI we don’t have their massive cap space.  

THAT is why I would have waited for the Bradford / Bridgewater / McCown tier.  Less money and likely only 1 year total for one of those guys.  No risk we just eat a bunch of dead money.  And if rookie isn’t there - still the same result - we are rebuilding without the QBOTF.  

I actually strongly disagree with you on this take. If the Broncos couldn't get their guy in the draft or came in with a guy that wasn't ready to play coming into the season with any of those three would have been a disaster. Bradford shouldn't be in the NFL bc his body can't handle it. McCown has always sucked and will continue to suck coming off an injury. And Bridgewater has a little upside, unlike the other two, but realistically he could not be relied on to play or start. McCarron is a backup to a Case Keenum that there is minimal tape on and would also be a major risk. 

Keenum at least ensures some ok QB play and he actually has some upside to turn into an Alex Smith or better player. Probably not, but there is upside there. I get the idea of going "full-rebuild," but you are betting on getting a QB you want and backing yourself into a corner. This at least gives a little flexibility and you hopefully will avoid trotting out an offense that isn't at an NFL level for the third year in a row. 

I am absolutely ok with spending the extra 10-15m this year to get Keenum over those trash QBs. I ideally would just take Rosen at 5 and not pay Keenum, but is that possible? And is this contract going to kill the flexibility of the team? Nah, and that's why I can understand it.

1 minute ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am really hoping for more offensive linemen...any QB can be good inside a good offensive line.  You get that and Barkely...you are good to go man!  

Keenum + Barkley and then start 9 OL, just beat the crap out of every team and have quarter long drives make it look like a rugby scrum

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I actually strongly disagree with you on this take. If the Broncos couldn't get their guy in the draft or came in with a guy that wasn't ready to play coming into the season with any of those three would have been a disaster. Bradford shouldn't be in the NFL bc his body can't handle it. McCown has always sucked and will continue to suck coming off an injury. And Bridgewater has a little upside, unlike the other two, but realistically he could not be relied on to play or start. McCarron is a backup to a Case Keenum that there is minimal tape on and would also be a major risk. 

Keenum at least ensures some ok QB play and he actually has some upside to turn into an Alex Smith or better player. Probably not, but there is upside there. I get the idea of going "full-rebuild," but you are betting on getting a QB you want and backing yourself into a corner. This at least gives a little flexibility and you hopefully will avoid trotting out an offense that isn't at an NFL level for the third year in a row. 

I am absolutely ok with spending the extra 10-15m this year to get Keenum over those trash QBs. I ideally would just take Rosen at 5 and not pay Keenum, but is that possible? And is this contract going to kill the flexibility of the team? Nah, and that's why I can understand it.

I don’t actually think the diff is 10-15M.   The issue is if signing Keenum makes Elway lock in no matter who is there at 1.5.   If it was just $ I could live with it.    That’s why knowing the #’s helps. 

If we get Rosen / Darnold at 1.5 and Elway eats the $ I’ll still be really happy.   If Elway passes on either because we have Keenum I’ll be out for blood. 

With Keenum or with any of those other guys we are still rebuilding.  He’s just a bridge.   Which is fine.   Until he’s used as a reason to pass on a guy we shouldn’t pass on.   For me that’s 2 guys at 1.5.   For others it’s 3 guys.   Either way I get it.  

Edited by Broncofan