Sammy Watkins is a Chief

valkrei

I’m just saying, I would rather put money into a defense that can bail out Andy.

I like Sammy, not gonna bash him.  Just think it’s poor money management for a guy that’s our 4th best offensive skill position player.  We bashed Dorsey for poor cap management, this doesn’t really give me hope that it was all his doing.

Here’s to hoping though!

3 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I hope our OL will be good this year because cause Mahomes to Hunt, Hill, Kelce and now Watkins could be super exciting. Watkins is probably overpaid a bit but we could be in for a treat as fans.

I kind of thing our pass pro will look better without Smith. I liked the guy, but man was he good at inventing pressure.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I kind of thing our pass pro will look better without Smith. I liked the guy, but man was he good at inventing pressure.

Most likely. The line itself will be better. We have developed some depth, which is good. Still, it's important to realize how much a highly mobile QB chills a pass rush.

J

I really like the contract details in this case, which makes the signing better for me.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/sammy-watkins-14413/

He's gonna be cheap for the 1st season. Will be expensice in the 2nd season, which isn't a problem since we have the cap space to spend that much money on him and he will be cutable after the 2nd season to save us 14 million in year 3. I think that's a better deal, than i originally thought. Good job, Mr. Veach!

14 minutes ago, Edge said:

I really like the contract details in this case, which makes the signing better for me.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/sammy-watkins-14413/

He's gonna be cheap for the 1st season. Will be expensice in the 2nd season, which isn't a problem since we have the cap space to spend that much money on him and he will be cutable after the 2nd season to save us 14 million in year 3. I think that's a better deal, than i originally thought. Good job, Mr. Veach!

Yeah, I normally don't like deals structured this way (pushing money into later years), but looking at our future cap situation it makes perfect sense. Overthecap already has the Watkins and Hitchens contract details in, and we're slated to have $53M in cap space next year, still. Some of that will go to filling out the roster, but we have absolutely no problem paying Watkins a ton next year, even if he disappoints. We're in cap hell now, but very quickly won't be. But it still let's us move on if we need to in order to extend Jones and Hill and such 2 years out.

59 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, I normally don't like deals structured this way (pushing money into later years), but looking at our future cap situation it makes perfect sense. Overthecap already has the Watkins and Hitchens contract details in, and we're slated to have $53M in cap space next year, still. Some of that will go to filling out the roster, but we have absolutely no problem paying Watkins a ton next year, even if he disappoints. We're in cap hell now, but very quickly won't be. But it still let's us move on if we need to in order to extend Jones and Hill and such 2 years out.

Yeah it were 4 guys we need to extend in 2020 and should start with that in 2019, but still we have some money to spend somewhere else to make a strong push as long as Mahomes is on his rookie deal. Watkins deal is over once we need to pay Mahomes, so i'm feeling far more comfortable with the deal now.

• 2 months later...

I saw an interesting take on Watkins at Pride. It goes through Watkins reputation as a flake, much of which tracks to one famous tweet. Their take is that he is both flexible and studious. That will be nice since Hill can still use some polish. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/8/17442206/chiefs-are-building-a-version-of-sammy-watkins-the-nfl-has-never-seen-before

J

Archived