Hitchens to KC

textaz03

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

At these prices, I sure as hell hope we don't.

Fair. Just saying, I doubt any of our other UFAs will net us anything, so if we want to secure that pick, we need to deal exclusively in trades, released players, and untendered/right of first refusal RFAs. Get creative widdit. We'll see.

43 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

At these prices, I sure as hell hope we don't.

This is what a lot of these Madden gurus on this forum are forgetting.

Every dollar spent on these overpriced free agents (9mil a year for a versatile, unspecialized, non-all pro and not even a single pro bowl LB? Insanity) hurts your ability to pay guys like Martin, Zeke, Dak, Byron, Lawrence and others in the next year or two, and then harder still for slightly further down the road guys like all of these corners that look like they will be worth keeping, Collins (who only signed a couple years extension), Collins (if he bounces back), etc.

Its not so easy to just buy a bunch of players and cut them when you need money to pay your guys. It needs to be carefully managed. This big spenders do not have the quantity of homegrown guys needing payment soon like Dallas does. And Dallas has done such a good job in the draft that out mid round picks carry far more value than some aging guy whos going to cost you a 5-7mil hit in dead cap money when you cut him next year or the year after.

47 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Fair. Just saying, I doubt any of our other UFAs will net us anything, so if we want to secure that pick, we need to deal exclusively in trades, released players, and untendered/right of first refusal RFAs. Get creative widdit. We'll see.

While last year was a group of misses, that can happen in FA. FA is risky, overpriced business.

But dont overlook the good contributors this team has brought in for cheap FA deals before. Mayowa wasnt a bad pick up. Selvie, Mincey, pretty good too. Durant and McClain, not too shabby. McFadden and Morris were good contributors when called upon as well.

And the best part of those guys? They didnt hurt our ability to pay our own guys and keep our core together.

23 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

While last year was a group of misses, that can happen in FA. FA is risky, overpriced business.

But dont overlook the good contributors this team has brought in for cheap FA deals before. Mayowa wasnt a bad pick up. Selvie, Mincey, pretty good too. Durant and McClain, not too shabby. McFadden and Morris were good contributors when called upon as well.

And the best part of those guys? They didnt hurt our ability to pay our own guys and keep our core together.

Mayowa was who I had in mind. He was a non-compensatory free agent as an RFA tendered at the original round (UDFA) level, and it was a smartly written contract that attacked the Raiders' refusal to give out signing bonuses. I'd be interested in other players of that nature- Cameron Meredith perhaps. But inherently there's going to be a ceiling to that type of talent.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Mayowa was who I had in mind. He was a non-compensatory free agent as an RFA tendered at the original round (UDFA) level, and it was a smartly written contract that attacked the Raiders' refusal to give out signing bonuses. I'd be interested in other players of that nature- Cameron Meredith perhaps. But inherently there's going to be a ceiling to that type of talent.

I actually really like Meredith as well. Solid route runner. Would be a much better #2 than Williams on this team. 

Archived