KC FA tracker

valkrei

Xavier Williams was a rotational DL for us last year who's a PFF darling. Played in 11 games and I'd bet it was about 30%ish of the snaps on defense. Solid run stuffer. Wasn't a priority for us to bring back, but I think we kind of figured he'd get a better deal and a bigger role elsewhere. I'm intrigued to see how he'll do with you guys, I always love our UDFA pickups. 

He was original round tendered. Since he was UDFA there is no compensation, though the team did have right to match. As noted above, he was a small part in the rotation in Arizona. Here, he might be lead dog. Logan is currently a FA.

It isn't like last year, where Logan was basically handed the job.  On roster, Nacho and Jarvis Jenkins are the competition. Since Rakeem is more of a penetrator, that might be a workable pair at NT, with JJ backing up.

Note: Williams is a local guy out of Grandview High School, by way of University of Northern Iowa. 

J

Watson has been in the $2M per year range for the last 5 years or so, so I'd expect something in that area. Maybe a little less for age. I wouldn't be surprised if signing him led to cutting Harris. And I'd be fine with that. Harris's potential is clearly not going to be realized, at this point.

25 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Watson has been in the $2M per year range for the last 5 years or so, so I'd expect something in that area. Maybe a little less for age. I wouldn't be surprised if signing him led to cutting Harris. And I'd be fine with that. Harris's potential is clearly not going to be realized, at this point.

I think with Mahomes it could be lol

Alex Smith wasn't willing to throw those jump ball type throws that are perfect for a former bball player. Mahomes seemed more than wiling in their one game together.

30 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Alex Smith wasn't willing to throw those jump ball type throws that are perfect for a former bball player. Mahomes seemed more than wiling in their one game together.

I agree with this. I think Conley and Robinson’s numbers would have been up to if we hadn’t signed Watkins. 

43 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

A willingness to throw jump balls will not fix Harris's hands or route running. He dropped 6 passes last year, while only catching 18. That's staggeringly bad. The dude is talented, but 4 years into his career and he can't reliably catch, that's not someone you want as a backup TE. Regardless of how high you may be able to throw a pass to him.

22 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I agree with this. I think Conley and Robinson’s numbers would have been up to if we hadn’t signed Watkins. 

I think Conley still might. With Wilson gone, I'd expect either Hill or Watkins (or Kelce, I suppose) to play in the slot when we go 3+ wide, so Conley should still see a decent snap count.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

A willingness to throw jump balls will not fix Harris's hands or route running. He dropped 6 passes last year, while only catching 18. That's staggeringly bad. The dude is talented, but 4 years into his career and he can't reliably catch, that's not someone you want as a backup TE. Regardless of how high you may be able to throw a pass to him.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Maybe the jump balls will give him the focus needed to catch the ball, he's shown that with his redzone work. Tbh I was shocked he was catching passes from Mahomes, the longest of his career iirc.

I just don't see Reid giving up on him just yet, or that ancient Watson is a proper replacement.

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I don't see why it wouldn't. Maybe the jump balls will give him the focus needed to catch the ball, he's shown that with his redzone work. Tbh I was shocked he was catching passes from Mahomes, the longest of his career iirc.

I just don't see Reid giving up on him just yet, or that ancient Watson is a proper replacement.

You don't see why jump balls won't fix his hands? He's had 4 years to work on refining his game. It hasn't happened. He's still the exact same raw but talented player he was when we first acquired him. He just can't catch. He caught 3 passes from Mahomes. That's not enough to offset a 4 year body of underachieving work.

And you say just yet, but it's been 4 years. This isn't a guy still establishing himself. He is established. And Watson is not a long term replacement, no. But Watson as a temp #2 while we draft a potential future backup or even a UDFA or something, could be. Watson would be the immediate improvement. We'd find someone else for the future (since I doubt we'd resign Harris either way next year anyway.)

Archived