Chiefs to sign fomer Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchins

KCsb

6 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Probably the worst FA deal I've seen the Chiefs giving in a long time. Hitchens is fine at 3/4M per year. 9M is crazy 

if you would have said 6-7M per year  I might have agreed.  3/4 for his production is a crazy low ball offer.

8 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Probably the worst FA deal I've seen the Chiefs giving in a long time. Hitchens is fine at 3/4M per year. 9M is crazy 

Some of y'all need to check out some tape on this guy, he's a straight up MISSILE (like Ragland) he can cover he can take on blocks he can knife through lines and penetrate. He's a tackling machine. 4 mil is what Terrance Mitchell just signed for btw, and Hitchens is far and away in a higher bracket and there was a market for him. Hitch and Ragland are gonna be awesome to watch ?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/anthony-hitchens-14530/

Anthony Hitchens contract details are in.

It's a good thing that we have more money to spend around this season. If it doesn't work out it's probably only worth it to go out of the deal before the 5th year of the contract.

Other than that i probably would have loved to see the 2020 11 million hit in 2019, since we have to pay guys like Hill, Jones, Fuller and Ragland in 2020. Through if we're smart we're extending some of those next offseason anyways.

Edit: Some more details

2 hours ago, valkrei said:

if you would have said 6-7M per year  I might have agreed.  3/4 for his production is a crazy low ball offer.

What production? He has potential for sure but he hasn't never been really that good. Last year he was mostly a part time player. He played FT when Sean Lee got hurt and Dallas D was, if my memory serves me right, significantly worse without Lee. 9M a year for a non pass rushing LB is crazy. Only the best Lbs (David, Wagner, Kuechly, Burfict, Telvin Smith, Jamie Collins) top that. Three exceptions are Ogeltree, Barron and Kirksey, who are much more proven players and who have terrible contracts.  Last year AJ Klein and Kyle Van Noy (in a 2yr deal) got 6M per year in deals that were universally disliked. This year Kennard got 6M per year, which is also a poor deal imho. I don't think Hitchens has a very different profile from those guys.

This is a guy that can start on a Super Bowl team. He brings the kind of speed and athleticism we used get from DJ.  Between him and Ragland's physicality, we can lay the ILB problem to rest, finally. Of the front seven, I think five pieces are in place. Chris Jones, Anthony Bailey, Justin Houston, Ragland and Hitchens. Now we need the outside rush--I'm looking at you Dee Ford--a NT and depth. Maybe Kpassignon will step it up.

All that said, this is a young defense, team for that matter. Bailey and Houston are both eight year guys. Berry and Zombo are nine. That's it. Dee Ford with five years is next.

We will have some bumps, but this should be a much improved unit by midseason.

J

I think my favorite thing about Hitchens is his ability to take on blocks.  I actually believe he’ll play SILB and Ragland will play WILB.  

This guy isn’t afraid to do the dirty work and leave a clean lane for the guy beside him.  Just a bonus he had decent range and coverage skills.  

Maybe a slight overpay but I would have put him in the 6-7 Mil dollar range.  That difference is easily cancelled out in the final years of the contract 

Yes I said bonus because attacking the LOS and blowing up plays is what Hitchens is best at.   I would say he is better at it than Ragland.

It is a bonus because like Ragland it allows us to keep both on the field more often.  Neither are exceptional in coverage, but have enough range to play well in zones.  

Hello fellas. Cowboys fan checking in.

Looking at this thread, theres very misleading points of what he is and isn't. I'll clear it up for ya.

1. He won't let you down with mental mistakes and generally is a very reliable player.

2. Not a gamechanger. Don't expect him to be. Just know whatever LB position he plays , youll come to expect solid play from there. Won't see big plays given up usually.

3. 9 Mil is a bit too much. But its FA so can't blame you guys there.

4. Hopefully you guys have actual playmakers to pair with him at the LB position. 

Overall congrats, very hard working guy and wish all the best for him.

4 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Hello fellas. Cowboys fan checking in.

Looking at this thread, theres very misleading points of what he is and isn't. I'll clear it up for ya.

1. He won't let you down with mental mistakes and generally is a very reliable player.

2. Not a gamechanger. Don't expect him to be. Just know whatever LB position he plays , youll come to expect solid play from there. Won't see big plays given up usually.

3. 9 Mil is a bit too much. But its FA so can't blame you guys there.

4. Hopefully you guys have actual playmakers to pair with him at the LB position. 

Overall congrats, very hard working guy and wish all the best for him.

our LB's overall have been very weak the last few years, solid play is all we needed.

Archived