War's Pre-Free Agency Mock

warfelg

Alright, as said in another thread, I've talked myself into something interesting, and I want to build a mock off of it.

TRADE:

Le'Veon Bell -> San Francisco for Pick #9

Martavius Bryant + Round 5 (own) -> Carolina Panthers Round 3 (Buffalo)

FA:

Dontari Poe -> 2 years, $8 mil, $4.5 mil guaranteed

Jonathan Stewart -> 2 years, $4.5 mil, $1 mil guaranteed

Lawrence Timmons -> 3 years, $4 mil, $1.5 mil guaranteed

Chris Hubbard -> 2 years, $4 mil, $1 mil guaranteed

Paul Richardson -> 3 years, $21 mil, $8 mil guaranteed

DRAFT:

Pick #9: Roquan Smith LB Georgia

~ A dynamic fast LB that can replace what Shazier gave us with speed on defense. Despite being at the cost of Bell, this really just pushes us up on defense and really helps us progress.  With Timmons back in the fold, this would push VWill back to the #3 LB role and ST ace.

Pick #28: TRADE

~ I'm seeing at least 1 QB making it to this point, and whoever is early second, misses out on one in FA, might want to jump up to take one here so they get that 5th year. I would be more than happy to do so.  I'm going with the Jets.  #28 -> #37, Jets 6th, 2019 3rd.

Pick #37: Ronald Jones RB USC

~ Ronald is a dynamic multi-skilled RB.  He's not quite as versatile as Bell, but he is a talent at running and catching.  With Conner and Stewart, they can make a really nice trio of backs for us to roll with in 2019.

Pick #60: DeShon Elliot S Texas

~ I really like this kid.  For his size (6'2") he has fluid hips, can move, but his length is going to be huge in disrupting the center of the field.  Does a great job of just being around the ball when it's up in the air, but isn't afraid to hit.

Pick #88 (Via Bryant trade): Ogbonnia Okoronkwo DE/OLB Oklahoma

~ A steelers special.  A tweener.  6'1" 242.  But a beast of a pass rusher.  Athletic, with extremely long arms (38 inches) he's a real Silverback (Sorry Debo).  Not much in terms of setting an edge against the run, but that's ok, I'm looking at him as more of a pure passrusher.

Pick #92: Mike Gesicki TE PSU

~ Pick 92 is kinda a luxury at this point, since we've picked up extra picks that we didn't have before.  So now we can go at that flex TE that we've wanted for a while.  James, McDonald, Gesicki can really give teams headaches with size and speed to add with Brown, Smith-Schuester, and Richardson.

Pick #146: Bradley Bozeman C Alabama

~ We could use some cheap depth here as Finney might be pegged to be a starter soon, so we go back to the well of the draft to get that depth.

Pick #165: Brandon Facyson CB VT

~ Again looking at some depth here with Facyson.

Pick #179: Poona Ford NT Texas

~ For now, depth behind Poe, but the NT of the future for this team.

Pick #220: Joe Ostman DE/OLB CMU

~ Depth, trying to push A.Chick out of there.

Pick #246: Ray-Ray McCloud

~ What would a draft be without a WR?

DEPTH CHART

QB - Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs

RB - Ronald Jones, Jonathan Stewart, James Connor

WR - Antonio Brown, Juju Smith-Schuester, Paul Richardson, Darius Heyward-Bey, Justin Hunter

TE - Jesse James, Vance McDonald, Mike Gesicki, Xavier Grimble

OT - Alejandro Villanueva, Marcus Gilbert, Chris Hubbard, Jerrod Hawkins

OG - David DeCastro, Ramon Foster, BJ Finney

OC - Maurkice Pouncey, Bradley Bozeman

DE - Cam Hayward, Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu, Javon Hargrave

NT - Dontari Poe, Poona Ford

OLB - TJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Anthony Chickilo, Joe Ostman

ILB - Roquan Smith, Lawrence Timmons, Vince Williams, Tyler Matakavich, LJ Fortt

CB - Joe Haden, Artie Burns, Mike Hilton, Cameron Sutton, Brian Allen, Brandon Facyson

SS - Sean Davis, Robert Golden

FS - DeShone Elliot, JJ Wilcox

P - Jordan Berry

K - Chris Boswell

LS - Kameron Canaday

I like the players but I'm sure we can agree the process of obtaining them would be difficult. the Steelers don't usually move up and down the draft board like that. It would be nice if they did. Also, is Jones II your favorite Rd 2 RB or are you going with the assumption that Sony and Johnson are gone?

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I like the players but I'm sure we can agree the process of obtaining them would be difficult. the Steelers don't usually move up and down the draft board like that. It would be nice if they did. Also, is Jones II your favorite Rd 2 RB or are you going with the assumption that Sony and Johnson are gone?

Ronald Jones is my other 1st round back. Michel and Johnson are behind him. Jones is going to be the 2nd best and people are going to forget about him. 

24 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Unrealistic, but I like it.

Richardson is signed, though.

Wallace could be an option instead.

Yea a little unrealistic. Would like to see something dramatic like that though. 

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

See i would rather take elite prospect LBs because imo, and I've always said this, a really good front 7 will improve the succ3ss of the secondary even if they're not elite.

Not that I'm disagreeing but this quote can be manipulated the other way as well. A really good secondary can help an average front 7 look good/decent as well 

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

See i would rather take elite prospect LBs because imo, and I've always said this, a really good front 7 will improve the succ3ss of the secondary even if they're not elite.

While I agree in general, who are these elite LB prospects?

As I see it, we need two ILBs, a pass rusher to replace that bum Dupree, and an NT that isnt moved easily like Hargrave is.

Basically, what Im saying is....we arent one player away from having an elite front 7.   We are, at the very least, 3.....not to mentioned we need better depth.

4 minutes ago, JPeezy55 said:

Not that I'm disagreeing but this quote can be manipulated the other way as well. A really good secondary can help an average front 7 look good/decent as well 

Not saying you are wrong....but there are far far FAR more examples of front 7s carrying secondaries than vice versa.  

Building an elite secondary is ridiculously hard, and alot of it comes down more coaching and luck....two things we havent had much of in regards to the secondary.    Building an elite front 7 is hard, but its much more feasible.     Its much easier to find quality talent in the front 7 than than in the secondary.   

I agree completely with you 43, to me roquan Smith and Roshon Evans our Elite prospects at linebacker. For me those are the only guys I view is Elite prospects obviously we're not going to get them both but my point was if hypothetically we were to make a big tray of like that and then trade back to get more than one first round pick those are the two guys that I would take. At the same time if they value a safety more than obviously the safety position would be the smarter play. I I am not going to sit here and pretend like I have any idea what kind of material they use to evaluate players I am not a college Scout. Many of you and anyone who has played football may have a much better idea than I do of what kind of things they look at more specifically to evaluate players but I just watch college football I see you know the footwork the hip movement how they attack the ball or don't whatever those are the things you know what I can see with my naked eye are the things that I use but I'm sure that I don't see everything. My point is not the same way the Pittsburgh Steelers do.

12 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

The way I look at it if I'm being completely honest is and here is my logic and maybe this logic is wrong so feel free to say so but a really good secondary can help not so great front 7 but in a much different way. What I mean is a good secondary might help you keep the ball contained from getting into the end zone but that poor front 7 despite that really good secondary is going to give up yardage so the Bulls still going to be moved down the field yes in my opinion much harder for a secondary to keep guys out of the end zone when the front 7 is mediocre because it puts more pressure on the second day it is not impossible but it's definitely more difficult and against the front seven more so that is not very good you see more running yards that's what you saw for us our secondary isn't terrible although we have issues at safety but our front seven specifically at inside linebacker when we lost Ryan Shazier really struggled to contain the Run and as the season went on that was our biggest downfall.  having said that of course I wouldn't say we have an elite secondary either

Archived