The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/03/103216/report-redshirt-freshman-wide-receiver-lchristian-smith-has-left-ohio-state-to-explore-other-opportunities

Blue Smith to transfer after just a year here. Surprised things didn’t work out here for him. Local kid. Bit of a tweeter between WR/TE coming in, at 6’6.” I’m sure there will be others this spring, whether it’s “the talk” or whatever. 

On 3/19/2019 at 8:50 PM, JTagg7754 said:

Nothing against you but I'd expect most people here to say that lol. I've watched both teams a little bit and ISU is the better team and could win a couple games. That said, so could OSU but it's a tougher challenge.

I felt we would win because of Holtman and his system. Remember how well Butler used to always do in the tourney?

Head Coaches To Lead Their Teams To 5 Straight 1st Round Tourney Wins:

Chris Holtmann

Mike Krzyzewski

Jay Wright

Mark Few

Bill Self

Roy Williams

John Calipari

Edited by candyman93

Damn, that sucks for Babb.  To miss that much time playing and have that many injuries is a major challenge to overcome.  If he wants to keep trying to come back, I'm pulling for him, but that's a large hill to climb.

This coupled with Blue leaving thinks out the WR room a bit, but shouldn't effect this year that much with Mack, Hill, Victor, and Olave all back.  Pretty much everyone expects Garrett Wilson to see some PT from the get go as well.  With Mack, Hill, and Victor all being seniors, the top 2020 WR's might see an opportunity for early PT at OSU.

15 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Kam Babb suffered another knee injury and will miss his 3rd straight season with a knee injury, if you go back to HS. His future is definitely in question here. Need lots of WRs in the 2020 class. 

See it all the way through, he could end up being another Johnnie Dixon and have at least a somewhat productive career and a shot in the league. As far as the 2020 guys, there are no shortage of studs in this class trying to get on board

16 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Well crap, I see Blue Smith is transferring also.

I think where he fell in the depth chart during the spring practices caaused this.  If I had to guess, i'd think the current WR depth chart is:

H: KJ Hill, Jaelen Gill, Demario McCall (think he gets snaps at RB moreso if he can stay healthy)
X: Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, CJ Saunders
Y: Austin Mack, Bin Victor, Jaylen Harris, Elijah Gardiner

Given that depth chart, the Bucks likely wanted to use Blue as a move TE/H-back, and Blue definitely wants to be a WR.  As a WR if he was behind Harris and/or Gardiner, being potentially 5th in the pecking order at the Y may have made up his mind.

Kam Babb was likely in the mix as the backup at X until he got hurt again.  I won't be shocked if Jameson Williams leapfrogs CJ Saunders, just a different level of athlete.  Unless OSU wants to redshirt him and trust Saunders experience to give them quality reps.

Assuming he's at WR, i'll be shocked if Craig Young isn't a red shirt, despite being an early enrollee.

As it is now, Gee Scott comes in at the Y next year to compete with Harris and Gardiner (and we're still after some big name recruits in the 2020 class) and Smith-Njigba comes into compete at the Y.  But really in 2020, Olave and Wilson are likely on the field together a lot.

I didn't realize they wanted to move Blue around. Kid seemed to have some talent and that's always bad to see go but you did list some heavy competition. I just hope these WRs can play. Olave looked great in minimal time last year so that's always good to see especially for someone who wasn't a big name recruit (from what I remember). Just realized we're 2.5 weeks away from the Spring Game also. Looking forward to see Fields and everyone else get some time on the field even if it just for a televised practice. 

50 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think where he fell in the depth chart during the spring practices caaused this.  If I had to guess, i'd think the current WR depth chart is:

H: KJ Hill, Jaelen Gill, Demario McCall (think he gets snaps at RB moreso if he can stay healthy)
X: Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, CJ Saunders
Y: Austin Mack, Bin Victor, Jaylen Harris, Elijah Gardiner

Given that depth chart, the Bucks likely wanted to use Blue as a move TE/H-back, and Blue definitely wants to be a WR.  As a WR if he was behind Harris and/or Gardiner, being potentially 5th in the pecking order at the Y may have made up his mind.

Kam Babb was likely in the mix as the backup at X until he got hurt again.  I won't be shocked if Jameson Williams leapfrogs CJ Saunders, just a different level of athlete.  Unless OSU wants to redshirt him and trust Saunders experience to give them quality reps.

Assuming he's at WR, i'll be shocked if Craig Young isn't a red shirt, despite being an early enrollee.

As it is now, Gee Scott comes in at the Y next year to compete with Harris and Gardiner (and we're still after some big name recruits in the 2020 class) and Smith-Njigba comes into compete at the Y.  But really in 2020, Olave and Wilson are likely on the field together a lot.

I'm seeing that Mack has been mainly at the Z this spring so that the team will have their 3 best WRs on the field most of the time. It sounds like the depth chart will be:

X: VIctor, Harris
Z: Mack, Olave, Wilson / Gardiner
H: Hill, Gill / Saunders 

We haven't heard a damn thing about Gardiner. Harris taking another step this season would be huge, and obviously Olave will essentially be a starter. Usually my expectations for true freshmen playing big minutes is almost non-existent but I think Wilson sees the field a good bit, mainly out of necessity. Williams is definitely a wildcard... his film shows a lot of rawness but he's got a ton of speed. At 170 ish lbs though I'm not sure how much he'll end up playing. It seems McCall is going to be at RB pretty much exclusively and will "play a lot" this season. I'm all for that. Depth at RB is pretty weak and Hill / Gill / Saunders will eat up most of the time at H.  

In other news Justin Hilliard has suffered an Achilles injury and will almost assuredly miss the season. Super unfortunate, even though the possibility of him ever starting had likely come and gone. He was a beast on special teams. Everyone remember 10 star Wednesday a few years back when Cornell and Hilliard both committed on the same day? Yeah... this is why I always keep expectations low for guys that have yet to play a down of Buckeye football. 

Also, Craig Young will be playing LB. 

Edited by BRANDON26841X

Heck we can potentially see Ruckert playing split out wide as well. Him and Ferrell on the field at the same time, just brought on two more blockers for fields or Dobbins. 

Actually excited for the spring game this year. Every year we have known who the QB was going to be because of what we saw from them during the season. We have no idea how fields is going to be and this will be our first look at him. So it should really garner more viewership this year 

The WRs should still be very solid this year. Should continue to build on the depth in the 2020 class. The one thing that loses a step at WR this year is the speed. Not that they’re slow by any means. But Campbell, McLaurin, and Dixon were all either at or near the top of the NFL combine in the 40. I think I’d prefer Victor/Mack continue just rotating at the Y, as neither are really known as gamebreakers but more of bigger, possession guys.