The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

I'd love to see a 5 man rushmen line this year on 3rd downs at times to mix it up

LDE: Sam Hubbard
LDT: Nick Bosa
NDT: Jalyn Holmes
RDT: Tyquan Lewis
RDE: Chase Young

Lewis and Holmes are great veterans that you love to have to lead this line, but I just can't see how we can keep Chase Young off the field.  He has #1 overall pick potential at DE, and should be in on every obvious passing down.

Chase Young is so talented, Id love to see him get meaningful snaps. I'm wondering who he could take reps from, aside from mopup duty. Those top 4 ends are already the deepest and best in the nation. Young's playmaking ability and pure speed is another level though. I'd prefer him out there over a guy like Hubbard in pass rushing downs, though he's no slouch. You have to wonder if a guy like Young could just get set loose off the edge also as a Jack player/rush linebacker, though I'm not sure that will happen. It's crazy that it'll take til year 3 for Cooper to likely get meaningful DE reps, barring injury. 

20 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

I mean I can cherry pick seasons to fit my agenda also but I'm looking at the entire body of work and how he's been lately (most recently). That's what I have to go off of bc it's the most logical approach and that's my style.

Not really cherry picking to fit my agenda. Just showing that JTB was able to actually perform when he had a legit QB Coach and OC behind him and developing him. You look at Beck, he never developed a QB into being accurate or being into a legit passer. When he first came to tOSU, I chalked up to the issues at Nebraska and not having top tier QB recruits. He gets to tOSU and all QBs regressed under him. JTB and Jones both took major steps back and we saw so many issues with the offense and the play calling. 

I am also using the most logical approach. I am just approaching from the side of seeing what the QB coach has done as developing and coaching up QBs and looking at Wilson creating offenses that made QBs look amazing at IU and OU. 

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

Not really cherry picking to fit my agenda. Just showing that JTB was able to actually perform when he had a legit QB Coach and OC behind him and developing him. You look at Beck, he never developed a QB into being accurate or being into a legit passer. When he first came to tOSU, I chalked up to the issues at Nebraska and not having top tier QB recruits. He gets to tOSU and all QBs regressed under him. JTB and Jones both took major steps back and we saw so many issues with the offense and the play calling. 

I am also using the most logical approach. I am just approaching from the side of seeing what the QB coach has done as developing and coaching up QBs and looking at Wilson creating offenses that made QBs look amazing at IU and OU. 

Or was he able to perform b/c he was unknown? Now that defenses know his strengths and weaknesses, he could be easier to defend. We can assume one way or another but both are valid possibilities to his success. I, personally, will use the most recent work as the heaviest factor (especially when it's been consistent over the past two years) when forming my opinion. I don't WANT the guy to be a piss-poor QB but I just feel he is b/c that's what he's shown me the past two seasons (as a thrower). I hope for the best but I'm not extremely optimistic.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Or was he able to perform b/c he was unknown? Now that defenses know his strengths and weaknesses, he could be easier to defend. We can assume one way or another but both are valid possibilities to his success. I, personally, will use the most recent work as the heaviest factor (especially when it's been consistent over the past two years) when forming my opinion. I don't WANT the guy to be a piss-poor QB but I just feel he is b/c that's what he's shown me the past two seasons (as a thrower). I hope for the best but I'm not extremely optimistic.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

MSU had 8 games worth of game film on JTB that year with a stud DC in Narduzzi and JTB shredded that defense in their own home. You have to admit the offensive scheme and style in '14 was completely different in ;15 and '16 and that has to account for something. Best thing would be to look at the 3 game run Jones put on to win a title. You look at how Herman used Jones compared to how Beck and Warnar used Jones and it was light and day difference. I dont know if you remember but I dont remember seeing Herman trying to execute speed option with Jones and Zeke, but you watch that game vs VT and you saw them trying to run the speed option with those guys. Jones and Zeke killed with the play action passed but when Jones was the starter, they rarely used it like the year before under Herman.

We have no idea what Wilson is going to be like. Logical approach makes me very confident in Wilson because at IU and OU he has made his QBs look a lot better than they actually were.

I see your point, you using JTB but I think we need to look at all the factors too. We could see in 3 years with JTB, he only had one good season as a QB. We could look at Beck, his time as a QB coach from '11-'17, all his QBs have been completely awful and never showed the ability to be coach up a QB to be accurate

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Burrow is out 4-6 weeks with a hand injury. Guess that means Haskins is currently 2nd string to start the year.

I feel bad for Joe, but I still believe that Haskins is the BEST QB on this team...at least until JT proves me otherwise. What can I say, I'm a hater. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but until he shows up and performs well in a big game throwing the football (with the exception of MSU as a freshman) I'll continue to doubt.

Sounds like Brandon Bowen has emerged as the front runner for the starting spot at RG.  The Bucks line this year is HUGE

LT: Jamarco Jones, 6'5" 310 lbs, SR
LG: Michael Jordan, 6'7" 310 lbs, SO
C: Billy Price, 6'4" 312 lbs, SR
RG: Brandon Bowen, 6'7" 312 lbs, RS-SO
RT: Isaiah Prince, 6'7" 310 lbs, JR

No one below 310 lbs and even the top reserves are large in Malcolm Pridgeon (6'7" 315 JR), Matt Burrell (6'3" 300 lbs RS-SO), and Thayer Munford is supposedly emerging as the top candidate to back up both tackle spots (6'6" 325 lbs) with highly touted freshmen Josh Myers (6'5" 305 lbs FR) and Wyatt Davis (6'4" 310 lbs) likely going to be interior linemen in the future.  A big question for next year is if the Bucks land top prospect Jackson Carmen, does he start as a true freshman or do they bump Michael Jordan out to LT and have one of Myers/Davis take over at LG?  Or does Davis possibly take over at C next year once Price graduates?  I doubt they continue the past couple year tradition of moving a G inside to C with both Jordan and Bowen being 6'7".  Be it at G or T there is a solid chance 2018 is the last year for Jordan with his size and athleticism as a 3 year starter at Ohio State he will likely be a high draft choice. 

4 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

You're not a hater. You have unbias eyeballs.

I don't know about that. Haskins could have the most talented arm out of any QB but who knows how well he can truly play tho. 

I remember Justin Swzick(sp?) looking amazing in HS and during spring ball and once he got into the games he was just awful

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I don't know about that. Haskins could have the most talented arm out of any QB but who knows how well he can truly play tho. 

I remember Justin Swzick(sp?) looking amazing in HS and during spring ball and once he got into the games he was just awful

This is a fair point but he has looked the part in little work.