The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

If this is true, Urban's pride might get him in trouble

From all the updates, the entire board based on the investigation is wanting Meyer reinstated immediately. Our incompetent President is stubbornly lobbying for a suspension. Meyer basically saying fire me or reinstate me; will not accept a suspension because it’s wrongly admitting culpability in his mind. 

This is madness. I can’t underemphasize how poor University ‘leadership’ has been through this saga.

Urban’s going to be an unhappy man. Seems to be done solely as a PR thing and not based on the investigation. I’d respect our President if he had a spine one way or the other. If you found fault, be a man and fire him. If not, tell the nation to pound sand and stand up for the coach. Don’t play politics and give a suspension just to quiet the mob. 

Will be interested to see the Meyer reaction.

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Urban’s going to be an unhappy man. Seems to be done solely as a PR thing and not based on the investigation. I’d respect our President if he had a spine one way or the other. If you found fault, be a man and fire him. If not, tell the nation to pound sand and stand up for the coach. Don’t play politics and give a suspension just to quiet the mob. 

Will be interested to see the Meyer reaction.

Yep. 

On 8/9/2018 at 12:00 PM, Raves said:

The suspension isn't about placing blame, it would be about trying to weather the the PR storm if/when Meyer is kept.  If you keep him and simply say, "We followed all the correct procedures currently in place, we realize now that these are not adequate enough now and will be looking at ways to improve them going forward," will get destroyed by the media.  That's why I think after that statement this will be following it,  "Although all the proper procedures were followed, we believe it is our obligations to treat these matters with much more care, respect, and poise than was displayed during the Big Ten Media day by Coach Urban Meyer.  For his conduct Coach Meyer will be suspended for the first 3 games of the season, his forfeited pay will be going to ~insert charity~ based on his recommendation.  We look forward to be moving forward with Coach Meyer after his suspension has been completed and are certain that a situation like this would be handled better going forward."

Just bringing this back up... seems pretty accurate.

They (drake by all accounts, as the board apparently was all in agreement with no additional punishment, according to an earlier tweeter) screwed the pooch

there should have been no middle ground / gray area

if he did something wrong...he should have been fired.

if he reported to gene, and it stopped at gene....gene should have been fired.

if they found/determined he did no wrong...time served

suspension simple says one of these

they don’t want to pay him $40m to go away

they think a suspension will quiet the mob and media.

They chose the cowardly option...and didn’t pick a side, and go all in.  It’s plain as day that they needed to unanimously stand with him, or unanimously declare him the enemy and prepare for a court battle on if they had “cause” for termination....the decided to stand directly on the 50yard line and pee in both directions, and hope that some new news story were to take more precedence.

One things for certain...Gene one smith has to be gone within the year, no matter what

Edited by malibuspeedrace
  • Like 4

Urban is never going to fully recover from this. It's pretty sad, IMO.

For the record, I had hoped he wouldn't be fired. Frankly, I don't think he deserved to get canned. The media has made the difference between a lie and a cover up seem pretty fine, but I also think there's been a lot of jumping to conclusions. I don't think we'll ever know the full extent of what truly went down.

Urban did two things wrong: He retained Zach Smith throughout this all, and he lied to the media. If he covered this all up as well, he'd be gone, but it doesn't sound conclusive to me that he did cover it up.

I respect Urban's desire to take the grandson of his mentor under his wing in hopes that he could straighten him out. He didn't give up on Smith, but things continually worsened. 

This is going to be a never-ending controversy. People are not ever going to be convinced to change their stance, nor is that my intention in this post, so I'm not going to plead my case here. But I wanted to vent my thoughts, as a still proud OSU alum.

The worst part of this, to me, is the seemingly inevitable fact that, if Zach Smith was not Earle Bruce's grandson, this would have been handled years ago. Urban's loyalty to the man he accredits much of his success is clear, and now he's paying a severe price for it. In some ways, it's messed up, but Smith kept crossing the line and this is the result.

Sigh.

Edited by MistaBohmbastic
  • Like 1

I am both shocked and not shocked by the outcome with Urban Meyer if that makes any sense whatsoever.  I'm shocked because I actually felt there was no way Meyer made it through this scandal with his job.  I'm also not shocked by this outcome because Meyer is such a high profile head coach.  As an Ohio State fan, I'm disappointed with the decision made by the University.  He is either innocent and he has no additional punishment with the University backing him 100% or he is guilty and you fire him.  This grey area/middle ground with the suspension is an obvious cop out and embarrassing .  Regardless of what happens from this point forward, Meyer will have this hanging over his head fro the rest of his life.  I wouldn't be surprised if Meyer leaves at the end of this year.

Peace!!!

1 minute ago, cortes02 said:

I am both shocked and not shocked by the outcome with Urban Meyer if that makes any sense whatsoever.  I'm shocked because I actually felt there was no way Meyer made it through this scandal with his job.  I'm also not shocked by this outcome because Meyer is such a high profile head coach.  As an Ohio State fan, I'm disappointed with the decision made by the University.  He is either innocent and he has no additional punishment with the University backing him 100% or he is guilty and you fire him.  This grey area/middle ground with the suspension is an obvious cop out and embarrassing .  Regardless of what happens from this point forward, Meyer will have this hanging over his head fro the rest of his life.  I wouldn't be surprised if Meyer leaves at the end of this year.

Peace!!!

I could see the grey area in regards to his requirement to do more than he did based on vague language, but the part where he either attempted to delete text messages that weren't already deleted or actually did delete messages, just was too much for me and he should've been fired.  It's one thing to show nepotism and give someone the benefit of the doubt in a murky situation, it's something completely different when you either attempt to, or purposely, hide evidence.

• Like 1

I know some ppl have bashed Urbz and said he is faking or coping out saying he has memory issues or forgot about certain things. We gotta remember in ‘14 he had a arachnoid cyst removed. That is brain surgery. That kind of cyst and removal can lead to some memory loss and behavior issues