The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO I think that he's got it all. Size, Athleticism, Experience, Leadership, Accuracy, the ability to process quickly, etc. He's not flawless, but who is? When you have those tools with the accuracy/production on the big stage, it vaults him above a lot of guys.

I think the accuracy, while good, is a little over rated.  He played better defenses last year than what the Buckeyes are this year and was around a 50% thrower.  Like I said, against a decent defense (which is what I would call our defense this year, decent) he had a very good game throwing, but his pocket presence is what led to those fumbles.  Not totally sold on the leadership either.

THAT SAID.....that is my nitpicking, I agree he is the clear top prospect in this draft and a damn good football player, just one I think has gotten a little too much shine since that phenomenal freshman year.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

I think the accuracy, while good, is a little over rated.  He played better defenses last year than what the Buckeyes are this year and was around a 50% thrower.  Like I said, against a decent defense (which is what I would call our defense this year, decent) he had a very good game throwing, but his pocket presence is what led to those fumbles.  Not totally sold on the leadership either.

THAT SAID.....that is my nitpicking, I agree he is the clear top prospect in this draft and a damn good football player, just one I think has gotten a little too much shine since that phenomenal freshman year.

I guess, just personally, off the top of my head, I can't think of a prospect that I've liked more in at least 5 years coming out. Granted, Mahomes in hindsight would be it...I REALLY liked Watson (A LOT), but his arm strength in the eyes of the experts wasn't great. Maybe Joe Burrow would be in that conversation.

Any word on Fields' injury? I'm guessing it'll be fairly tight-lipped until we get closer to the game but still didn't know if anyone heard anything. I know he talked about his ribs in an interview so we have to assume there's a few broken. Just hope it doesn't effect him too much. Even though I doubt we can hang w/ Bama, we need him to be on his A+++++ game if we want to have a shot.

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Any word on Fields' injury? I'm guessing it'll be fairly tight-lipped until we get closer to the game but still didn't know if anyone heard anything. I know he talked about his ribs in an interview so we have to assume there's a few broken. Just hope it doesn't effect him too much. Even though I doubt we can hang w/ Bama, we need him to be on his A+++++ game if we want to have a shot.

We can definitely hang with Bama. Their defense isnt this amazing unit like previous Bama teams. Seems like how the college landscape has transformed that Saban has put more of a priority on offense than defense the last 4-5years. 

also just like Clemson, Bama hasn’t seen an offense that is as deep or talented as tOSU. The closes offense to tOSU talent wise was Florida and they hung 46pts on Bama

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Justin will score the game winning TD on the final play. It will be either a pass to Olave like Deshaun Watson or a run in score like Vince Young.

I believe.

I want to believe you..... If Waddle comes back though, man, our secondary will need to grow up very, very, very fast lol. 

Shaun Wade is a lost cause at cornerback for the year. The move to the outside didn’t work out. He was basically where every bad play was outside the other night. He got put on skates constantly.

Our best chance of preventing an offensive explosion is to eliminate the big play and make them work their way down the field then hope for the best. If we start getting beat up top or are giving up numerous big plays, we are going to be in trouble. We eliminated those the other night, and that was a huge help. Josh Proctor got lucky early on when he was out of position and Lawrence missed with a deep ball.

I would be surprised if Waddle played. To me, that could just be a decoy and them planning on us having to game plan for one extra person. Obviously its possible given the gravity of the game, but I’ll be surprised also. 

Alabama has a killer offensive line. Their success against our defense will come down to whether they win that match up, because our defensive line is also pretty dominant and showed it against Clemson. If Harris gets going and Jones has lots of time in the pocket, it will certainly be tough to win. 

Justin Fields confirmed what we knew. They huddled more in the game because of Clemson trying to steal signs.

Clemson is really good at stealing signs and it’s why they were totally confused during our game. You could see Skalski trying to get them lined up and everything looking like a mess. At times OSU would intentionally make some adjustment, force Clemson to look towards Venables, but we’d snap the ball almost instantly.

This only works if your offensive talent is equal or better than Clemsons. It’s why LSU shredded the hell out of Clemson last year. Clemsons players are just athletes relying on their coaches to spoon feed instructions.

Watch 1:55, Justin had 2 TDs on that play.

Edited by candyman93

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Shaun Wade is a lost cause at cornerback for the year. The move to the outside didn’t work out. He was basically where every bad play was outside the other night. He got put on skates constantly.

Our best chance of preventing an offensive explosion is to eliminate the big play and make them work their way down the field then hope for the best. If we start getting beat up top or are giving up numerous big plays, we are going to be in trouble. We eliminated those the other night, and that was a huge help. Josh Proctor got lucky early on when he was out of position and Lawrence missed with a deep ball.

I would be surprised if Waddle played. To me, that could just be a decoy and them planning on us having to game plan for one extra person. Obviously its possible given the gravity of the game, but I’ll be surprised also. 

Alabama has a killer offensive line. Their success against our defense will come down to whether they win that match up, because our defensive line is also pretty dominant and showed it against Clemson. If Harris gets going and Jones has lots of time in the pocket, it will certainly be tough to win. 

It's weird because playing inside nickel is arguably tougher to play than outside CB. Mainly because you have no sideline to help you, you have to guard different types of players from WR/TE/RB and you have to deal with a much bigger route tree inside than you do outside.

Not sure what's going on with him to look this bad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It's weird because playing inside nickel is arguably tougher to play than outside CB. Mainly because you have no sideline to help you, you have to guard different types of players from WR/TE/RB and you have to deal with a much bigger route tree inside than you do outside.

You also have less vertical responsibility, more ability to freelance on blitzes and in the edge setting/run support, aren't on an island as much, as you can often have help inside with the LB, and in some occasions, push back to a S look, giving you the ability to ball hawk and play the cap instead of the underneath and the cap like you do as a CB.

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not sure what's going on with him to look this bad.

He's also great laterally, very physical as a tackler, and a ball hawk. He doesn't have great acceleration or break in and out of routes as far as defending them.

20 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

What more does he have to do? isn't that what leaders do? Put the team on his back? (Even when he gets speared like Chuck Cecil), not totally sold? He could have just layed down and stayed down but he got up and literally put a cape on and went legend vs a top defense when they needed him the most.

I can't tell you agree he is the clear top prospect in this draft by your comments, sorry. But then again, you are entitled to your opinion....

16 hours ago, buno67 said:

Reading some articles. It seems like tOSU was sandbagging a little bit through out the season, so they wouldn’t show too much for Clemson. Now with that game over, we could see an even more, well rounded, unique attack vs Bama. 

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

13 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Very true about their OL, but our front 7 has been nothing short of elite, we probably have the best DT combo in the country, and our linebacker corp is the best i've seen as Buckeye fan (Including Hawk, Carpenter, Schlegel). I actually think they may try to max protect and try to beat us deep. If Tyreke Smith can get past Leatherwood (Who is a first rounder) this is where the game changes.....

As far as our defensive backfield, Wade is shot mentally, but If he can lock in for one game that would be huge, we also need a combination of Proctor and Ransom. And to be quite honest, Proctor does have a nose for the football, he just drops them way more than he catches them. Also Banks has gotten a lot better 

11 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What more does he have to do? isn't that what leaders do? Put the team on his back? (Even when he gets speared like Chuck Cecil), not totally sold? He could have just layed down and stayed down but he got up and literally put a cape on and went legend vs a top defense when they needed him the most.

I can't tell you agree he is the clear top prospect in this draft by your comments, sorry. But then again, you are entitled to your opinion....

The only thing i'm really disagreeing with are those who call him the best prospect ever.  I don't think he is, and my nitpicking is the reason why I don't think he is.  Top prospect in this draft?  Absolutely.  Very good QB prospect?  Definitely.

13 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Also Banks has gotten a lot better 

Banks has all the tools, he just needs coached up more.  I think he could have a Damon Arnette like senior season next year.

14 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

our linebacker corp is the best i've seen as Buckeye fan (Including Hawk, Carpenter, Schlegel)

Hard disagree.  While our LB unit is the best it as been in several years, that unit was an elite college unit, and I don't think our unit this year is elite, just very good.