The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

“In 10 of its 12 games this season, Alabama has held its opponents to 24 points or fewer. In seven of its last eight games, Alabama has held its opponents to 17 points or fewer – including two games in which it allowed just three points (Kentucky and Arkansas) and one in which it allowed zero (Mississippi State).

None of those 10 opponents, however, rank in the top 25 nationally in either scoring offense or total offense. 

Alabama has played two teams that rank in the top 10 nationally in scoring offense and in the top 14 nationally in total offense, and those games went very differently for the Crimson Tide, who allowed 48 points against Ole Miss and 46 points against Florida.”

so your telling me the SEC plays garbage offenses. This is why I have hope for the game Monday. We will put up some points 

I think our fanbase was too down on the team this year.

I wasn’t surprised we beat Clemson. We didn’t just beat them, we destroyed them.

Alabama is absolutely beatable. This isn’t a super dominant defensive team like they’ve traditionally been. You can score on them and OSU can and will score.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 1:00 PM, candyman93 said:

I think our fanbase was too down on the team this year.

I wasn’t surprised we beat Clemson. We didn’t just beat them, we destroyed them.

Alabama is absolutely beatable. This isn’t a super dominant defensive team like they’ve traditionally been. You can score on them and OSU can and will score.

Keep in mind our fanbase has absurdly high expectations for this team year in and year out. It's NC or bust every year, IMO. Not to mention, it took a bit for our run game to get off the ground and our defense has not looked like the OSU defenses we know and love. That being said, the Clemson game proved that we can beat anybody in the country, Bama or otherwise. 

And let's not act like Bama doesn't have some holes. There is a lot of talent, but OSU matches up pretty well. 

• Like 1

We got beat by the better team. Outclassed in every way, the defense needs to get better next season starting with the coaching.

Crazy season still, with everything that has gone on. Hopefully Wyatt Davis is OK. He was supposed to be a top 10 draft pick coming into the season and came back way to suffer what looked like a significant injury in the final game. For his sake I hope it’s not serious and he is able to go through the off-season and not have his draft stock affected. Same for Trey Sermon, my guess is with his being a shoulder, it will have less long term implications but will probably affect his off-season. 

Every week was like hanging on for dear life just hoping the game was going to happen this season; it was more stressful than enjoyable but give these players credit for getting to where they did. Hopefully 2021 is less up in the air and more enjoyable season as a whole.

• Like 2

Was it a shock to lose to Alabama, no it was not.  The defense had absolutely no answer for Alabama's offense.  "Especially" Devonta Smith.  The secondary has been relatively poor all season and Shaun Wade played "horribly" the entire time.  Unfortunately for the defensive line, they could not get any pressure fast enough to disrupt Alabama's offense in any way which left our poor secondary exposed.   The one thing I was very surprised by was hiw poorly the offense played.  Fields just didn't have it last night at all and his accuracy was not good at all.  Once Sermon was out of the game, I thought they would have tried to spread Alabama out and either dink & dunk Alabama to death or run a very fast no huddle like Ole Miss did but neither came to fruition.   I know that offenses want to keep defenses honest but Master Teague is not a RB any team truly fears and in my opinion is a short yardage back at best.  I hope that this loss doesn't hurt recruiting.  I wonder what JT Tuimoloau was thinking when he was watching the game last night.  We REALLY could have used a player like him.  At the very least, I'm very happy we were able to beat Clemson.  Also, I don't care what anyone says, NO ONE was going to beat Alabama this year and I mean no one no matter who says otherwise.  I still love my Ohio State Buckeyes and hope they can make a run at the title next year.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Was it a shock to lose to Alabama, no it was not.  The defense had absolutely no answer for Alabama's offense.  "Especially" Devonta Smith.  The secondary has been relatively poor all season and Shaun Wade played "horribly" the entire time.  Unfortunately for the defensive line, they could not get any pressure fast enough to disrupt Alabama's offense in any way which left our poor secondary exposed.   The one thing I was very surprised by was hiw poorly the offense played.  Fields just didn't have it last night at all and his accuracy was not good at all.  Once Sermon was out of the game, I thought they would have tried to spread Alabama out and either dink & dunk Alabama to death or run a very fast no huddle like Ole Miss did but neither came to fruition.   I know that offenses want to keep defenses honest but Master Teague is not a RB any team truly fears and in my opinion is a short yardage back at best.  I hope that this loss doesn't hurt recruiting.  I wonder what JT Tuimoloau was thinking when he was watching the game last night.  We REALLY could have used a player like him.  At the very least, I'm very happy we were able to beat Clemson.  Also, I don't care what anyone says, NO ONE was going to beat Alabama this year and I mean no one no matter who says otherwise.  I still love my Ohio State Buckeyes and hope they can make a run at the title next year.

Peace!!!

I'm pretty sure having 13 players out before the game even started then losing our RB and one of our best O-linemen didn't help either. Also Bama is probably going to have multiple players drafted in the first round too.

We got this next year. 

MC

I would say they will be in the hunt but I wouldn’t go as far as to say this team is a favorite for next year. They are replacing Justin Fields after all. I guess if they get that level of quarterback play from whoever wins the job, consider them in it, but that’s a tall order. Tbh I have my doubts that this team can win a title with Kerry Coombs right now, he seems in over his head as the defensive coordinator. On a personal level I like him and he has been a good defensive backs coach in the past. I know the talent wasn’t what it has been in the past in the secondary but he seemed to get as little out of it as possible this year and the scheme against Alabama was as bad as I could imagine. He pretty much called the game the exact opposite of what would make the most sense. Maybe he will learn something or maybe they will bring someone on next year to help him out, but some thing will need to change there for this team to make that next step.

So I was looking at the past few recruiting years and it seems like Ohio State hasn't brought in a lot of OL.  They've gotten a couple of the top guys but never a consistent big haul of high ranked OL like some of the other programs like Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson have recently.  Is our OL development/recruitment just not what it has been in years past?

50 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It needs to be mentioned, we’ve had some recruiting classes flop really bad. 

The 2019 class has SUCKED outside of Garrett Wilson. The 2020 class didn’t give us anything either, but I blame covid for that.

The 2019 class wasn't highly regarded to begin with. It was the 14th ranked class. Harrison is the disappointment in that class but he still has time to redeem himself. 2020 as you said is too early to judge.

• Like 1