The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It needs to be mentioned, we’ve had some recruiting classes flop really bad. 

The 2019 class has SUCKED outside of Garrett Wilson. The 2020 class didn’t give us anything either, but I blame covid for that.

Pretty unfair to judge the 2020 class as you kinda eluded to. Not many kids played and covid, like you said. Judgement needs to be reserved. Now next year, if those kids don't step up, yeah, we have to start discussing it. 

16 hours ago, Raves said:

So I was looking at the past few recruiting years and it seems like Ohio State hasn't brought in a lot of OL.  They've gotten a couple of the top guys but never a consistent big haul of high ranked OL like some of the other programs like Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson have recently.  Is our OL development/recruitment just not what it has been in years past?

Not sure i'd agree with that.  We're losing a 3 year starting LT, and multi year starting interior linemen in Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis, and next year's oline looks to be pretty damn impressive

LT: Paris Johnson, May Wray
LG: Matthew Jones, Ryan Jacoby
OC: Harry Miller, (Jacoby)
RG: Luke Wypler or Enokk Vimahi, Donovan Jackson
RT: Nicholas Petit-Frere, Dawand Jones

That's a pretty damn good 2-deep.  The 2021 incoming isn't class outside of Jackson isn't the highest rated, but we always seem to find a high 3/low 4 star gem every couple of years too.  With the early strength of the 2022 class, I think they'll be able to pull in a high ranked lineman or two.

• Like 1

Pass rushing ends are what we were lacking this year. They’ve had Chase or one of the Bosas for the last however many years. They need a guy like Sawyer to contribute in that way next year. Smith is decent but not a 1st round type pass rusher to this point. Zach Harrison hasn’t developed into that edge rusher either. Depending on who comes back they could be solid in the middle. It sounds like Haskell Garrett could surprise and return. If Togiai were to come back then that would be a big deal on the line. I agree though, the o-line should be solid. We’ll see what Myers does but the talent at tackle is good for next year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Not sure i'd agree with that.  We're losing a 3 year starting LT, and multi year starting interior linemen in Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis, and next year's oline looks to be pretty damn impressive

LT: Paris Johnson, May Wray
LG: Matthew Jones, Ryan Jacoby
OC: Harry Miller, (Jacoby)
RG: Luke Wypler or Enokk Vimahi, Donovan Jackson
RT: Nicholas Petit-Frere, Dawand Jones

That's a pretty damn good 2-deep.  The 2021 incoming isn't class outside of Jackson isn't the highest rated, but we always seem to find a high 3/low 4 star gem every couple of years too.  With the early strength of the 2022 class, I think they'll be able to pull in a high ranked lineman or two.

I actually think Dawand Jones will factor in there somehow, they LOVE him

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Pass rushing ends are what we were lacking this year. They’ve had Chase or one of the Bosas for the last however many years. They need a guy like Sawyer to contribute in that way next year. Smith is decent but not a 1st round type pass rusher to this point. Zach Harrison hasn’t developed into that edge rusher either. Depending on who comes back they could be solid in the middle. It sounds like Haskell Garrett could surprise and return. If Togiai were to come back then that would be a big deal on the line. I agree though, the o-line should be solid. We’ll see what Myers does but the talent at tackle is good for next year.

-Part of the reason is that we have been pretty spoiled with having the likes of Chase Young, The Bosas, Hubbard, Tyquan Lewis and even Noah Spence. 

-I know this isn't really our thing, but I wouldn't mind exploring the portal, like how Miami did with Jaelen Phillips and Quincy Roche. I'm not really looking forward to what we hare returning at DE, except Smith, Zach Harrison has been trash, he is soft, no other way to put it. If what you say about DT is true, that would be awesome but we need Vincent to be the guy we thought he was. TBH, we need all of those guys who were 5* and 4* to live up to their billing, If Sawyer is anywhere close to as good as we think he is, he will play a ton. Zach Harrison needs to go see the wizard

-We absolutely need to hit the portal for DBs, I am deathly afraid of what we have coming back 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Aren't they beefing up Stover to play DE as well? Thought I remembered reading that. Agreed on Harrison though. Hopefully he can figure his game out this off-season b/c we really need him next year. There's no reason we should lack a premiere pass rusher that we've had like you stated. We simply recruit too many good prospects and have too good of coaching to have that happen.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:32 PM, bootsy said:

The 2019 class wasn't highly regarded to begin with. It was the 14th ranked class. Harrison is the disappointment in that class but he still has time to redeem himself. 2020 as you said is too early to judge.

The ‘19 class was just small. They had the 3rd best avg of players behind Bama and Georgia. 

also think it’s still early to say the class is awful. They were 2nd years guys dealing with Covid. Also the classes before them were stacked. So they weren’t going to see the field right away. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Aren't they beefing up Stover to play DE as well? Thought I remembered reading that. Agreed on Harrison though. Hopefully he can figure his game out this off-season b/c we really need him next year. There's no reason we should lack a premiere pass rusher that we've had like you stated. We simply recruit too many good prospects and have too good of coaching to have that happen.

Stover made the switch to tight end last season.

• Like 1

I'm a little nervous about Meyer taking the Jaguars job and stealing the best personnel from Ohio State.  I know that Alabama replaces personnel almost every year and still wins but it can't really be that easy.  Especially with some of the coaches and their current relationships with future recruits.

Peace!!!

6 hours ago, cortes02 said:

I'm a little nervous about Meyer taking the Jaguars job and stealing the best personnel from Ohio State.  I know that Alabama replaces personnel almost every year and still wins but it can't really be that easy.  Especially with some of the coaches and their current relationships with future recruits.

Peace!!!

I just be curious who he trys and steals.  When it comes to assistant coaches, I don’t know who he would take. Feel like with his lack of NFL experience he would want NFL guys. I couldsee him stealing Mick tho

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I just be curious who he trys and steals.  When it comes to assistant coaches, I don’t know who he would take. Feel like with his lack of NFL experience he would want NFL guys. I couldsee him stealing Mick tho

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120602/mickey-marotti-reportedly-to-stay-at-ohio-state-as-urban-meyer-appears-set-to-return-to-coaching

well that answers that question. 

• Like 2