The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Fun fact, UD has two graduates that are head coaches in the NFL. Is that.... the most in college football?

Felt this was the only appropriate thread for this lol. 

Staley and Gruden are the two. 

Vrabel and Urban are both Ohio State graduates. So is it HCU?

Really disappointed that DT Tommy Togiai entered the draft.  I was really hoping he would come back to help fortify the middle of the defensive line.  I wish him the best of luck.  

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120417/ohio-state-defensive-tackle-tommy-togiai-entering-2021-nfl-draft-following-breakout-season

Also, DE Tyreke Smith is returning for another year.  Hopefully he can finally take things to the next level and help elevate the pass rush from last year.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120689/ohio-state-defensive-end-tyreke-smith-returning-for-2021-season

Peace!!!

3 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Really disappointed that DT Tommy Togiai entered the draft.  I was really hoping he would come back to help fortify the middle of the defensive line.  I wish him the best of luck.  

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120417/ohio-state-defensive-tackle-tommy-togiai-entering-2021-nfl-draft-following-breakout-season

Also, DE Tyreke Smith is returning for another year.  Hopefully he can finally take things to the next level and help elevate the pass rush from last year.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120689/ohio-state-defensive-end-tyreke-smith-returning-for-2021-season

Peace!!!

Gonna really miss Togiai. Hopefully we have someone who can fill that role but it'll be tough. He had a fantastic year. Glad to see Smith returning. We desperately need a pass rush next season. It was a weakness this year when that shouldn't have been the case.

Greg Mattison retired. He was here the last two seasons. Jeff Hafley was in charge of the defense last season and Kerry Coombs was this season. Obviously it was awesome under Hafley. So I’m not really sure that this was a loss. I think it was clear that this team needed another set of eyes on defense after this past season. Hopefully whoever replaces Mattison is another set of competent eyes, with a voice on the defense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Greg Mattison retired. He was here the last two seasons. Jeff Hafley was in charge of the defense last season and Kerry Coombs was this season. Obviously it was awesome under Hafley. So I’m not really sure that this was a loss. I think it was clear that this team needed another set of eyes on defense after this past season. Hopefully whoever replaces Mattison is another set of competent eyes, with a voice on the defense.

I would think this is a rather appealing position as well. Not much of a sell to say "hey, we get top-end talent from across the nation and you're going to make awesome money. Come coach w/ us"

Anxious to see who they get to fill the void.

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Mattison was responsible for the front 7 (Which was #2 in the country in run D), It was a huge loss. Also Im willing to bet they will promote Washington as co-DC

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Mattison was responsible for the front 7 (Which was #2 in the country in run D), It was a huge loss. Also Im willing to bet they will promote Washington as co-DC

The linebackers were good. The front four I pretty much give Larry Johnson the credit. Not to say that he isn’t a good coach, but I think more than anything they need somebody that is going to help with the schematics with calling the defense. I think if they hire someone that is going to assist in that way, it would trump some of the fundamental coaching that Mattison might have brought. I guess we will see what the hiring is though to see how things will look.