The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Now to start getting more elite defensive guys, Also I hope we are still in good with John Walker and Amauri Washington 

We've got some good players CBd to us in Tackett Curtis, Kayin Lee, Jermaine Matthews, among others. Walker looks like he's coming here but getting Matayo would be an insane get! His dad loves OSU but he seems to want to stay home. Will be interesting to see what he does. Todd Bowles son, Troy is also someone we've got a 50/50 chance of getting. I know these kids are trying hard to get Caleb Downs to us also and it seems to be working from what I've been reading. 

It's kinda weird seeing a class with less than great DL recruits. Matayo could change that immediately though. 

4* CB, once Georgia commit, Kayin Lee committed. Big get for us.

This CB class has real potential. Jermaine Matthews out of Winton Woods is expected to commit on Friday, already got Dijon Johnson and there's a chance Calvin Simpson-Hunt flips from TT. 

If we can land LBs Tackett Curtis (likely) and Troy Bowles (50/50) along with the DL guys we're expected to get, things could take shape up nicely.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Names we might get:

Caleb Downs

Jermaine Mathews

Jayden Bonsu

Daemon Fagan

I understand Knowles uses 3 safeties in his base defense but man, we'd be loaded up on them if we got Downs, Bonsu, and Fagan - all of which are a possibility.

This class already has Malik Hartford and Cedric Hawkins so if we landed all 3 of them, that's 5 in this class if my math suits me well. Downs starting to trend to us as of late is pretty damn exciting though. The secondary is looking fantastic in this '23 class. Extremely promising future.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, candyman93 said:

I could watch the throw at 2:25 all day. That’s a “future #1 pick” type of throw.

Will Anderson Jr should be the #1 pick in the 2023 draft, the kid has 17.5 sacks and 31 tackles for loss and should be even better this up coming season.

Granted that game Ohio State had against Utah was amazing and they just lit it up despite not having Wilson or Olave, but not sure that type of performance is going to be the norm next year but will see.  My guess is they were just super motivated after losing to Michigan and not being in the Big Ten Title game, not to mention playing a slightly overmatched Utah team and even with that 347 yard game by one WR, they still almost lost.

Will be interesting how the defense plays with the new system and coordinator.  

Also really curious to see how Chip Trayanum looks at LB, he was a beast at RB and Cody Simon should see a lot more time at LB but maybe they are going all hybrid and playing Hickman at LB more.  Despite being some what productive never been a big fan of Steele Chambers at LB.  

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Will Anderson Jr should be the #1 pick in the 2023 draft, the kid has 17.5 sacks and 31 tackles for loss and should be even better this up coming season.

QB >>>> Any other position

I love Myles Garrett, but I would draft Mahomes / Watson (ignoring character) over him in that draft and not think twice about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

QB >>>> Any other position

I love Myles Garrett, but I would draft Mahomes / Watson (ignoring character) over him in that draft and not think twice about it.

True QB is very valued in the NFL and depending on the team who knows maybe they already have a promising QB.  Still Will Anderson Jr is better than CJ Stroud last year and I assume he will be even better this year.

As for Myles Garrett, well Will Anderson Jr could be a better player than Myles Garrett honestly, and pretty positive Mr. Anderson is not going to try and kill someone with his own helmet during a game so there is that.  And obviously anyone can look back and say oh but what about....but fact is Mahomes and Watson were both not number 1 overall picks so things happen.

At this point considering what Will Anderson Jr. did last year, it is nuts to not have him #1 player overall until proven otherwise and again I bet he is even better this year than last year which is crazy to say for a guy with 31 TFLs and 17.5 sacks in one year.  He has great football character, a super high motor and dude gives it his all and is an absolute team leader with how he plays the game, there is basically nothing to dislike about the guy.  Where was Myles Garrett coming out of A&M he had more than a few faults that were pretty noticeable.  Sure has done well as a pro but has that one massive stain on his career so far in terms of his actions.  

On 6/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, Ozzy said:

Granted that game Ohio State had against Utah was amazing and they just lit it up despite not having Wilson or Olave, but not sure that type of performance is going to be the norm next year but will see.  My guess is they were just super motivated after losing to Michigan and not being in the Big Ten Title game, not to mention playing a slightly overmatched Utah team and even with that 347 yard game by one WR, they still almost lost.

Will be interesting how the defense plays with the new system and coordinator.  

I few things:

-Now you and I both know things can change from year to year and we have seen guys who looked as good as Anderson Jr is, and ended up being a late 1st round to 3rd round pick. Things always happen, plus I'm not a believer of what guys did two years ago being the basis of them being a high pick, they need to constantly prove they are who we all think they are. Look at Thibodeaux, we look at we look at him now but going into the season, he was the assumed #1 pick and ended up going #5 for whatever reason.

-On the surface, I will say that Stroud is as good a QB as Anderson is an edge, I think Stroud is that good and has an elite skill set at QB and I think he can get even better. I will even say that by the end of the season there will be no doubt he will be the #1 pick. Conversely, Anderson could have a legendary season and prove why he should be the #1 pick.

-If Stroud has a Joe Burrow type of season and leads us to a championship (which should be pretty attainable with the offensive weapons and a top 15 defense) its going to be hard for him not to be the #1 pick IMO.