The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

3 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Using his arm is what I'm worried about....... Fingers crossed hoping for the best

I truly dont believe his arm is that big of an issue. To me he had trust issues with the WRs. A lot of the timing throws like the quick slants and outs, he would always throw late because I believe he didnt think they were going to be open. he rather throw it late to ensure the catch and not allow a DB to potentially jump the ball. JTB overally protected the ball at times. You never saw him truly throw up deep/jump ball/50-50 type passes last year. Only time we saw it really was in the Clemson game and they were hurting for big plays so he was basically saying F-it, were down already, lets just try something. Only player JTB truly trusted was Samuels and thats why he had a huge year. I was reading on 11W that they were saying that JTB has made a better effort to trust his WRs more to make plays. Its like with Jones and Smith. Cardale trusted that Devin was going to come down with the ball anytime he threw it deep. At times Jones would hit him on a dime and other times Smith just made a great play on the ball. tOSU has the talent at WRs. So hopefully JTB allows them to use their natural abiltiy and that the WRs actually step up. Too much talent to not step up and show out. 

On 8/4/2017 at 7:06 PM, buno67 said:

I truly dont believe his arm is that big of an issue. To me he had trust issues with the WRs. A lot of the timing throws like the quick slants and outs, he would always throw late because I believe he didnt think they were going to be open. he rather throw it late to ensure the catch and not allow a DB to potentially jump the ball. JTB overally protected the ball at times. You never saw him truly throw up deep/jump ball/50-50 type passes last year. Only time we saw it really was in the Clemson game and they were hurting for big plays so he was basically saying F-it, were down already, lets just try something. Only player JTB truly trusted was Samuels and thats why he had a huge year. I was reading on 11W that they were saying that JTB has made a better effort to trust his WRs more to make plays. Its like with Jones and Smith. Cardale trusted that Devin was going to come down with the ball anytime he threw it deep. At times Jones would hit him on a dime and other times Smith just made a great play on the ball. tOSU has the talent at WRs. So hopefully JTB allows them to use their natural abiltiy and that the WRs actually step up. Too much talent to not step up and show out. 

My biggest problem w/ JT is I think I saw him throw a WR open 5 times last year. You can call it trust issues but it's been consistent over his entire career. He's just not a very good QB. Great athlete though and that's what you can get by on in college. I just hope he gets it this year and steps his game up.

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

My biggest problem w/ JT is I think I saw him throw a WR open 5 times last year. You can call it trust issues but it's been consistent over his entire career. He's just not a very good QB. Great athlete though and that's what you can get by on in college. I just hope he gets it this year and steps his game up.

I dont remember it being an issue in '14. Heck with '14 he actually had a decent deep ball. Beck really didnt futher his development.

17 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I cannot wait to see what we have in Dobbins. I've watched his highlight videos a few times and I feel he's gonna be special!

I've seen some amazing high lights tapes and guys just bomb. Remember Berry, his film was great. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I've seen some amazing high lights tapes and guys just bomb. Remember Berry, his film was great. 

RBs are a little different to gauge IMO. Does he have vision? Yep. Does he have elusiveness and agility? Yep. Does he have speed? Yep. Does he have patience? Seems like it but it's hard to tell that from a video showing his highlights. Seems like he might be able to catch also. As long as we have a line good enough to block for him, which it looks like we will, I don't see why this kid won't succeed. I'm optimistic.

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

RBs are a little different to gauge IMO. Does he have vision? Yep. Does he have elusiveness and agility? Yep. Does he have speed? Yep. Does he have patience? Seems like it but it's hard to tell that from a video showing his highlights. Seems like he might be able to catch also. As long as we have a line good enough to block for him, which it looks like we will, I don't see why this kid won't succeed. I'm optimistic.

Yet, you are as pessimistic as they come in regards to JT under a new OC

27 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Yet, you are as pessimistic as they come in regards to JT under a new OC

???? Well... yeah. JT can't throw very accurately, holds onto the ball way too long, doesn't lead WRs open, and seems to have vision problems/problems dissecting defenses.

You expect me to be optimistic about a guy who has struggled throwing the football learning a brand new offense? No.....

4 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

???? Well... yeah. JT can't throw very accurately, holds onto the ball way too long, doesn't lead WRs open, and seems to have vision problems/problems dissecting defenses.

You expect me to be optimistic about a guy who has struggled throwing the football learning a brand new offense? No.....

I dont know about that man, @malibuspeedrace is right, you are pretty pessimistic with JTB. You say he cant throw very accurately. We go back to his first year as a starter, when he had a legit QB coach and OC, he was completing 64% of his passes and his avg yard per pass was 9. Past two years it has been 6.7. He was one of 5 QBs to avg over 9 yards or better per attempt. He had the 2nd best rating out of the 5. #1 was Mariota. JTB his 1st year was a pretty complete QB. Now JTB is working with a QB coach who seems to know what he is doing and has a legit OC.

• Like 1