The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

My hunch is it has little to do with strength of schedule but more to do with the bottom line of money. That’s typically what it’s about. I think when you look at the recent out of conference schedule, or the upcoming one, I don’t really think they are scared to play Washington. They are adding another home game for both of those seasons. Imo it’s a bad look because I think you need to honor the commitment you made and not be greedy here. They left Washington in a bad spot as far as filling that void in their schedule this close to those seasons.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Weak sauce. Cancelling games over "tougher schedules" is how we got to cupcake city non-conference bull**** in the first place. (Not a shot at Ohio State, I say this when everyone does it)

I kinda understand it though

How often have these OOC actually helped a team that won them? Losing them destroys your season. However, even if you win, you still need to win your conference.

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I kinda understand it though

How often have these OOC actually helped a team that won them? Losing them destroys your season. However, even if you win, you still need to win your conference.

Non-conference football used to be fun as hell. Didn't hurt teams in the 90s playing power conference OOC schedules. It's just a way to fluff your record these days typically. The following are the non-conference games played by each National Champion from 1990 to 1999 fwiw. Some teams fluffed but others certainly didn't. Scared money don't make money!

Colorado - #8 Tennessee, Stanford, #21 Illinois
Georgia Tech - Chattanooga, #25 South Carolina, Virginia Tech

Miami (FL) - Arkansas, #10 Houston, Tulsa, Oklahoma State, #9 Penn State, Long Beach State, #1 Florida State, San Diego State (only played 5 conference games)
Washington - #9 Nebraska, Kansas State, Toledo

Alabama - Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Tulane

Florida State - Kansas, #3 Miami (FL), #2 Notre Dame, #7 Florida

Nebraska - #24 West Virginia, Texas Tech, #13 UCLA, Pacific

Nebraska - Michigan State, Arizona State, Pacific, Washington State

Florida - SW Louisiana, Georgia Southern, #2 Florida State

Michigan - #8 Colorado, Baylor, Notre Dame
Nebraska - Akron, UCF, #2 Washington State

Tennessee - #17 Syracuse, Houston, UAB

Florida State - Louisiana Tech, #19 Miami (FL), #3 Florida

Just now, candyman93 said:

The benefits to winning those games are not limited to just the season W/L. Bama's brand in Texas has expanded from playing games in Jerry World, and that was an area Saban has recruited exceptionally well, for instance.

23 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Weak sauce. Cancelling games over "tougher schedules" is how we got to cupcake city non-conference bull**** in the first place. (Not a shot at Ohio State, I say this when everyone does it)

Dude stop whining it ain't that deep. Ohio St plays 9 conference games every year and are adding UCLA and/or USC to that slate every year. With the expanded playoffs they are going to make them quite frequently. Canceling this game makes no difference. Who gives a **** about these UW games.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:39 PM, beekay414 said:

We also play Texas in 2025.

So you want OSU to schedule Washington, Texas, and a new Big 10 schedule that includes USC

lol

9 hours ago, NateDawg said:

It’s all part of Ryan Day’s soft culture 

@MWil23 

Just wait til he chokes and gets smashed in the mouth again this November. At least we will probably beat the second best PAC team in the Rose Bowl and get to showcase our next group of young receivers after Tre’Veon and Harrison opt out while ignoring the 40+ points our defense gives up, because it’s a “sexy way to win”.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:23 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The benefits to winning those games are not limited to just the season W/L. Bama's brand in Texas has expanded from playing games in Jerry World, and that was an area Saban has recruited exceptionally well, for instance.

While valid, I'd also personally point out/argue:

Alabama was better before the Texas game when they were winning national titles by playing The Citadel late in the season and refusing to travel above the Tennessee border under any circumstances.

Ohio State lost major recognition when they got beaten twice by USC.

Oklahoma's season was over a few years ago when they lost to OSU and Houston twice before conference play...they'd have been better off scheduling a couple of cupcakes then getting boat raced in the playoff like they always do.

For the record, I agree with you and this is one of the MANY reasons I'm pro expansion. I want MORE marquee branding games as opposed to watching my team kick Akron in the teeth, albeit the whole "Hey I get to watch this RS player I'm excited about in two years" angle is something I always talk myself into.

Imagine losing a game or two in an early matchup and it doesn't matter as long as you have the hope of taking care of business in your conference/down the stretch as opposed to your season potentially being over before October starts.