The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm a little nervous that McCord wasn't able to run away with the QB job after the Devin Brown injury.  Perhaps it's all much ado about nothing and either one will have a great year with the insane weapons the team has, but uncertainty is just that, uncertain.

He was super meh to me, hopefully he gets better. I'm leaning on Day's expertise as a QB whisperer on this one.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 5/19/2023 at 2:53 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

He was super meh to me, hopefully he gets better. I'm leaning on Day's expertise as a QB whisperer on this one.

luckily we have enormous talent everywhere on the field...  I am a little worried, but they have been figuring it out lately.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Pretty sure we all wanted to toss Stroud into the furnace after his Oregon game.

I know I wasn't happy with him in his first few games. He was always very shaky to start the season but once things started moving, he killed it. Very sad to see him leave. Day and Co work wonders with QBs and McCord has all the natural ability in the world so I'm just going straight for trusting the coaches here even though he didn't look the best in the spring game. Even if he looks bad against Indiana (as long as we win), I'll still hold back judgment just bc of our coaches

1 minute ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Ok

that is where my concern with this years team is strongest

I’ve been doing some quick reading. He implements outside zone blocking concepts (the shanny system).

However, I don’t know what we’re going to actually run.

9 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Frye did a great job with the OL last year. Do you bring someone in to potentially step on his toes or is this a "Frye is awesome and will probably get an OC job next year so Philbin will take over afterwards" type hire?

I think it is more so the latter.  Ohio State has so much coaching churn with guys getting picked off to be head coaches, OC's, DC's, etc.. that I think they are constantly looking for who the next man up can be.

• Like 1

Hartline played under Philbin so there’s an obvious connection and trust there. With it being his first time as coordinator, somebody with football knowledge in the game plan is a benefit. I wouldn’t read as much into the o-line background. Yes, he knows what he is talking about there, but as an analyst, I don’t think he is going to be doing actual technique type of coaching but more film and gameplan prep. I am sure if there’s something obvious on film he will assist with that but Frye’s going to still do the coaching there. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

He implements outside zone blocking concepts

And this is a major reason why we hired him. A good portion of Day's scheme revolves around OZ and OZ/RPO. Instead of utilizing a QB's athleticism on the read option, it's a presnap give/RPO look, which I personally despise as you're not stressing an EDGE player at all and only stressing the backside linebacker. A "pause" fit is a relatively easy "beater" for that if you have a halfway decent apex defender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I think it is more so the latter.  Ohio State has so much coaching churn with guys getting picked off to be head coaches, OC's, DC's, etc.. that I think they are constantly looking for who the next man up can be.

This is my impression as well but I sometimes fail to look at all angles which is why I posed the question. It makes the most sense. I know there were people trying to get Frye this past off-season and if this group, who is relatively unproven, plays well, he's as good as gone.

38 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Hartline played under Philbin so there’s an obvious connection and trust there. With it being his first time as coordinator, somebody with football knowledge in the game plan is a benefit. I wouldn’t read as much into the o-line background. Yes, he knows what he is talking about there, but as an analyst, I don’t think he is going to be doing actual technique type of coaching but more film and gameplan prep. I am sure if there’s something obvious on film he will assist with that but Frye’s going to still do the coaching there. 

This is good perspective and something I hadn't thought about. Kinda like the irony though:

Played under Coach Philbin and now Philbin is a coach under him.... heh.

• 3 weeks later...