The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

4. Parris Campbell infuriates me. He drops wide open balls in the endzone but then you understand why the coaches keep giving him endless chances when he catches a drag and then proceeds to turn on the afterburners en route to a TD.

Makes me wonder why you guys don't try to just hand the ball off to him more. Or really, why they don't just play him they played Curtis Samuel.

Did we cut Denzel Ward yet? That guy was utterly pathetic. They were literally picking on him the entire damn game.

My other thoughts b/c you all care so much:

- Barrett is going to hurt us. He did lead a WR or two yesterday but he still waits too long to throw
- Our defensive line is going to absolutely pummel people this year. It's insane how good they're going to be.
- Dobbins isn't giving that starting job back lol. I love that kid. He's going to be a star if he can stay healthy
- Our WRs will cost us
- Our secondary REALLY needs to step it up. They were not impressive at all yesterday. The athleticism is there but they need to be more reactive and have better instincts.
- I'm not sure how good Indiana's defensive line is but our O-Line wasn't very impressive in pass protection
- I need to see more production in the first half. If I'm not mistaken, we did this BS last year also. Kinda just hung around in the first half of games then turned in on in round 2. I would like to see us firing on all cylinders out of the gates if we're going to seriously compete.
- We did not look like a playoff team

It was the first game of the season, on the road where IU plays well so I'll reserve some judgment but aside from Dobbins and our defensive line, I wasn't very impressed.

31 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Makes me wonder why you guys don't try to just hand the ball off to him more. Or really, why they don't just play him they played Curtis Samuel.

I don't think he's a natural runner/ball carrier like Samuel, Braxton, or even Jalen Marshall...much less Percy Harvin.

JMHO

I think we will know a lot about this team after OU, both on offense and defense. The secondary vs OUs passing attack will reveal a lot. It helps that we should have a lot of confidence up front and defending the run.

On offense, we'll see if they have a game plan and mix it up. They need consistency out there with both playcalling and execution. When you have four straight three and outs against a good team, you are out of it. Shades of Clemson. Here's hoping Wilson's arrival makes a difference and helps establish some creativity and consistency out there. Unfortunately, Barrett just is who he is at this point. He won't hit the 20 yard passes often. So, we're going to have to be creative with a variety of different ways to get WRs the ball on crossing routes and hopefully hit the occasional deep ball.

Hopefully this was just a bland gameplan that they realized wasn't going to work and needed to show a few things if they wanted a win.  Like originally on defense they weren't playing any zone, just a lot of man coverage and then when it was obvious they couldn't get away with it, they started playing more zone defense and were able to slow/stop Indiana's offense.  On offense it seems like they finally showed a few throws downfield in the 2nd half after doing everything within 5-10 yards to start which affected our offensive showing.

OU will really tell us where we are as I think they will be showing the full extent of the offense and defense, which will need to be quite a bit more than what they showed vs Indiana.

I'm terrified for OU after the way we played last night. Can Shaun Wade take over Denzel Ward's job?

Speaking of which, did any freshman play last night? One thing about college is it's so hard to get used to these players until I start watching games and seeing numbers. I saw Chase Young got out there and lined up 14 yards offsides on that punt but wasn't sure if he saw any action aside from that.

37 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'm terrified for OU after the way we played last night. Can Shaun Wade take over Denzel Ward's job?

Speaking of which, did any freshman play last night? One thing about college is it's so hard to get used to these players until I start watching games and seeing numbers. I saw Chase Young got out there and lined up 14 yards offsides on that punt but wasn't sure if he saw any action aside from that.

Okudah, Wade, and Browning were out there that last drive. I saw Riep out there on kick coverage. I believe Pryor and Garrett were out there that last drive also. Haubeil was our kickoff guy. I'm surprised they're burning his eligibility for that. Nuernberger must be terrible at kickoffs. Dobbins and Young played, obviously.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Okudah, Wade, and Browning were out there that last drive. I saw Riep out there on kick coverage. I believe Pryor and Garrett were out there that last drive also. Haubeil was our kickoff guy. I'm surprised they're burning his eligibility for that. Nuernberger must be terrible at kickoffs. Dobbins and Young played, obviously.

Good knowledge. Thanks!

Neurberger is terrible in general. The fact he is kicking our FGs makes me sick to my stomach. I really thought Blake would be.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

1. J.T. Barrett still doesn't throw WR's open with any anticipation whatsoever. He's scared to make throws downfield unless it's a wide open vertical route. Watching him try to throw 20+ yards downfield on middle routes/smash/corner routes is flat out embarrassing. Get ready for more of the same with him this year Buckeye fans. He's a Chris Leak Hall of Famer (A kid who starts out GREAT as a freshman, never improves, plateaus, and "is what he is" by the time he's a senior). Couple that with his extremely slow delivery and inability to make anything close to resembling an NFL throw on the outside of the field on comebacks/out routes and it's going to be a frustrating season throwing the ball, especially when this team faces elite competition.

I will say he was making and attempting passes he wasnt last year. JTB left a lot of plays and yards on the field but so did the skill players. One of the biggest issues last year was JTB not trusting his WRs. When you cant trust them its extremely hard to throw with anticipation. Its hard to throw the ball to a spot with hopes of the WR being there to make the play when you cant trust them. I will say the offense looked night and day different in the 1st half and 2nd half. It could of been them just needing to see how a team would attack or defend them, saw it, adjusted to it, and than attacked it.

2. Their secondary looked bad last night and is a huge concern going into Oklahoma next week vs. arguably the best QB/player that they will face this year. If it were a Week 7-9 matchup, I'd feel more confident as they are talented but very young.

I am not surpised the secondary looked bad. A lot of new starters vs a team that loves to sling it. Like I said above, I want to see the secondary really started to come into their own as the game progressed. I like to think that IU was a game warm up game for Oklahoma. I could see the defense being better vs Oklahoma because they know some weaknesses and I believe the DL is going to be able to take away the things Mayfield likes to do. Like scrambling, extending plays. I dont know if we will see OU throwing as many quick and 3step type passes. OU will want to let some pass plays develop and that will give the DL more time to get after the QB. I also feel like the DBs will be a lot more comfortable being at home too.

3. Their OL looked sluggish the first half. They turned it on after that, but I'm still a little irritated here.

I think it was just a fell it out type of situation. First live situation vs a real team, that isnt a cake walk. I like the idea of opening up vs a team like IU than say a MAC school or a non power 5 school. IMO Dobbins didnt make the OL look very good early on. He left some yards on the field where he missed a block or two. 2nd half when the OL started to really get going and he got over his nerves. I want to say after his first big run, you saw his body language change. Like before he was a little timid to him being, like yeah I can play big time college football. I really want to see a combo if Weber and Dobbins. Seems like some of the short yardage situations the team could of really used Weber. 

4. Parris Campbell infuriates me. He drops wide open balls in the endzone but then you understand why the coaches keep giving him endless chances when he catches a drag and then proceeds to turn on the afterburners en route to a TD.

Its so cliche but you hear it all the time that sometimes the hardest ball to catch is the wide open ball. instead of thinking about and worrying about the DB that you start to think about how I need to catch this ball cause I am so open and etc. 

4 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Did we cut Denzel Ward yet? That guy was utterly pathetic. They were literally picking on him the entire damn game.

My other thoughts b/c you all care so much:

- Barrett is going to hurt us. He did lead a WR or two yesterday but he still waits too long to throw
- Our defensive line is going to absolutely pummel people this year. It's insane how good they're going to be.
- Dobbins isn't giving that starting job back lol. I love that kid. He's going to be a star if he can stay healthy
- Our WRs will cost us
- Our secondary REALLY needs to step it up. They were not impressive at all yesterday. The athleticism is there but they need to be more reactive and have better instincts.
- I'm not sure how good Indiana's defensive line is but our O-Line wasn't very impressive in pass protection
- I need to see more production in the first half. If I'm not mistaken, we did this BS last year also. Kinda just hung around in the first half of games then turned in on in round 2. I would like to see us firing on all cylinders out of the gates if we're going to seriously compete.
- We did not look like a playoff team

It was the first game of the season, on the road where IU plays well so I'll reserve some judgment but aside from Dobbins and our defensive line, I wasn't very impressed.

-1st half barrett will hurt us, dont know about the 2nd half. Not screaming the sky is falling yet when its the first game of the year vs a mid tier big10 program, its not like it was a mac school or mountain west school. It was also the first game with Wilson. I still have great hopes because they did a lot of great things at half times. Lets see what happens when they have 10days to make adjustments and tweaks.

-DL is going to be nasty but damn I want to see them get their hands up when they dont get to the QB. I feel like yesterday they could of batted down a handful of passes if they got their hands up. Teams will throw quick because of that DL so they better get use to sticking their hands up to tip passes and block the view for the QBs

-I think Dobbins could be even more efficient when he enters the game after Weber pounds on them for a little bit. It should resemble a little bit of  White and Bush combo from USC back in the day. There were a handful of plays last night that Weber would of converted into first downs if he was playing. This should be a nice combo. Williams looked good filing in.

-There is a lot of new starters in the secondary. They just got baptized by fire from a QB who should prolly lead the league in Passing. IU can sling the rock. They just cant run it. Glad they got tested this week and going into OU with no real experience

-Its week1, they dont need to be looking like a playoff team. 

-I agree the pass protection wasnt anything special. Hopefully it comes together. Again it looked a lot better in the 2nd half than in the 1st.

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Terrified? can we say overreaction? Nervous, yeah I can see that because OU is still a big time program. When it comes to the game, tOSU is going to be the team with the better coaches, the most talent, and playing at home.

Im glad they played a game like that vs IU than say lighting up a team like BGSU or Tulsa, who wouldnt give you great looks. 

While I'm concerned about the secondary, I'm less worried about it than I am the offense, moving forward.  If we get through OU, the schedule reads Army, UNLV, Rutgers, Maryland after that. Then you have Nebraska on the road for a primetime game before a bye week. After OU and prior to the Huskers, that's a lot of practices and gametime experience for some DBs that could use it. I wouldn't mind seeing guys like Wade and Okudah get a lot of garbage-time playing time also and possibly grow into a bigger role. This transitional period should probably be expected at a position group that loses so much. We were fortunate last year when Hooker and Lattimore stepped right in and ended up going top half of round 1, to go with an established Conley.

On offense, the problems weren't really new faces. Four returning OL, same receivers, same QB. The results were similar as we ended last year vs Clemson, at least in the first half. To me, that's a bigger worry moving forward than the defensive secondary. First things first though, OU will surely present a challenge. As I previously mentioned, at least having a shutdown defense up front gives us a real advantage.

Many Big Ten schools have significant OOC rivals:

The School Up North: Notre Dame:
Michigan State: Notre Dame

Maryland: Virginia (plus long histories with other ACC schools due to former membership in that conference)

Penn State: Pittsburgh (among other major schools in the Northeast)

Purdue: Notre Dame

Illinois: Missouri

Indiana: Kentucky

Northwestern: Duke (a more recent one)

Nebraska: Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma (plus long histories with other former Big 12 rivals)

If Cincinnati were to join the Big 12 or ACC, I'd like OSU to start playing them every year, perhaps for a Paul Brown Trophy which would honor football in the entire state of Ohio (he once coached Massillon Washington High, OSU who he lead to a national title, and helped create the Browns and Bengals). It helps that Luke Fickell who has OSU connections is now Cincy's coach.

Edited by pf9