Preseason, Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Bills (0-0)

swede700

I missed this game, and only watched the highlights.  I know The OL gave up some sacks, and the first stringers weren't dominant in the run game.  I'd like to know how they looked together and individually.  It's going to take them a while to learn to play together.  But, I'd like to know how they looked.  I've got a lot of hopes that The OL will be a LOT better this season, and that means about average for all the teams (middle of the pack).  With Bradford's accuracy and good short and middle distance passing game, AND Cook as both a running and catching threat, AND Treadwell probably helping out, The Vikings running game AND pass protection should be a lot better than last season.

I thought the run blocking looked better than last year. Players were actually winning their individual battles and pushing defenders back off the line. The line as a whole was able to generate some push. It was a very small sample size, but it seems the players are stronger. I've heard PA comment that a lot of guys like Easton, Beavers and Kerin are bigger this year.

Pass blocking was still a struggle. Pass blocking is highly dependent on communication and chemistry, so hopefully that will improve with time.

True, but both sacks were terrible plays by the OTs. Remmers ducked his head and whiffed, Clemmings style, and Hill somehow didn't get any depth (he was a full step ahead of Boone as the DE turned the corner). 

My complaints with Bradford from this game were his poor accuracy (missed Diggs on the sideline on the run, almost overthrew Diggs on a 5 yard curl), and -- again, as usual -- his willingness to settle for failed completions instead of challenging the defense. He had time in the pocket on both the 2nd and 17 (5 yard curl to Diggs) and 3rd and 12 (checkdown to Cook), but opted for high percentage completions that killed the drive instead of attempting a throw that had a better chance of keeping the drive going.  

I'm certainly not suggesting that either sack against Buffalo were a result of Bradford's play, they weren't. 

But it doesn't take away the issue that he doesn't help his offensive line, and he'll even leave plays on the field. 

This is something we've seen too much of from Bradford;

Bradford has a great pocket, but instead of climbing the pocket or moving to his left where he would have all day to throw, he opts for the checkdown and another failed 3rd down. 

Hodges saw a good deal of snaps with the 2nd and 3rd teams. Keenum targeted him a couple of times down the seam, but they didn't connect. 

Hodges has the athleticism, but he has a lot of work to do. It does appear that the team is trying to teach him the responsibilities of an inline tight end, when there that's how they'll ultimately use him is unknown. 

Archived