Dolphins to sign Albert Wilson

goldfishwars

Yeah, that's an overpay. Wanted him back, but for like half that. Physically talented for sure, in terms of speed/acceleration/agility, but he's been a #3 at best his whole time year, and even with Chris Conley being hurt almost all last year and Alex having a career year, he was at 407 yards until week 17 when we benched all our other offensive weapons.

34 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Their plan at WR has failed, though. Landry is gone. DeVante Parker is made of glass and soft as triple-ply and may well be out after 2018. Carroo has 10 receptions in 32 games (not saying he is a lost cause, but he hasn't bit much as a pup).

Grant I am low-key excited about but the numbers heavily suggest he is a perimeter WR. Stills is a good piece to have and his contract is more than reasonable with easy outs.

The Dolphins had a need at WR, particularly slot WR. They also need a TE, LG, RT, LB.. but WR was certainly a need for now and 2019.

Need only trumps all if you are seriously thinking of contending.    Are you?  If not, then by all means, get a WR with a high ceiling to make the deal look like a bargain if he does break out

With limited resources, you have so many needs - invest it in guys who could make that contract look awesome if they break out.   You need those kind of hits to turn the team around with limited resources.  And that applies not just to WR, but all those other positions you mentioned.   

Want WR?  Get Meredith or Moncrief.   Want TE?  Get Burton.   Want RT?  OK, well, you're stuck there in FA.    But get a guy who might explode, and so long-term the deal doesn't look just OK, but a steal.    Albert Wilson just doesn't seem like that kind of saying.   Don't make need pass on ceiling (in this case, slot), not when your team's realistic chances for contention aren't there for 2018.   That's all I'm saying.  

1 hour ago, Danger said:

He's a mediocre 3rd WR at best. Awful deal.

Agreed.. and I didn't miss a snap of his entire pro career. 

If he plays motivated, you are getting a decent WR3 or band-aid WR2 briefly. 

If he plays as he typically does in a non-contract year... ugh. Alligator arming and running out of bounds to avoid any contact. 

Either way, grossly overpaid here. 

This move tells you what they think of Carroo. It's an overpay, but we needed a slot WR. I think he can be productive in this offense. He compliments Stills very well. They aren't going to put Grant in the slot anymore. 

This is similar to what we did with Ajayi. Instead of forcing the ball, we used a committee of RBs and the offense was better for it. Same case here at WR. We won't be forcing the ball to the same player on offense anymore. Stills, Parker, Wilson, and Grant. Drake at RB. It's apparent Gase likes speed in his offense. 

We don't know how much of this is guaranteed and this is the market for WRs. Look at what other guys are getting.

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I called him out years ago but Chiefs fans still defended him.

He's not good. At best, he should've been a cheap #4.

Chiefs fans on this board?! He had some pretty clutch catches this year but was pretty pedestrian prior so I'd be interested to see who was defending him...

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, that's an overpay. Wanted him back, but for like half that. Physically talented for sure, in terms of speed/acceleration/agility, but he's been a #3 at best his whole time year, and even with Chris Conley being hurt almost all last year and Alex having a career year, he was at 407 yards until week 17 when we benched all our other offensive weapons.

yea but that one game with PM2 shows that he could be a legit threat and imo he got better each year.  

Archived