Lions Re-Sign S Tavon Wilson

flyguy1609

I love the signing. Tavon has played well as a Lion. This solidifies are safety positions. And he's not locked into a ot of money long term. 

SS- Tavon Wilson/Miles Killebrew

FS- Glover Quin/Quandre Diggs

Now if we sign Malcolm Butler, our entire secondary would be set for the season. 

I honestly thought Diggs played better in his limited opportunity than Wilson ever did. I don't dislike the signing because it's cheap and Wilson wasn't a liability, but I hope this is more competition to push Diggs than it is moving Diggs back to the nickle.

10 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I honestly thought Diggs played in his limited opportunity than Wilson ever did. I don't dislike the signing because it's cheap and Wilson wasn't a liability, but I hope this is more competition to push Diggs than it is moving Diggs back to the nickle.

Totally agree

21 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I honestly thought Diggs played better in his limited opportunity than Wilson ever did. I don't dislike the signing because it's cheap and Wilson wasn't a liability, but I hope this is more competition to push Diggs than it is moving Diggs back to the nickle.

They played a lot of 3 safety sets last year and so did the Patriots with Patricia. Glover Quin is the free safety, that's locked in. Diggs could still be the strong safety with Wilson or Killebrew playing the 3rd safety/hang linebacker role. The beauty of having guys like Diggs, Wilson, and Killebrew is that it doesn't really matter position you call them. One play you could have a heavier defense with Diggs at safety and Wilson/Killebrew in the slot or like a LB further off the ball. That's basically a "base" defense with a safety playing a WLB type of role but instead being responsible for a TE more often. The next play you could have Wilson/Killebrew back at SS playing deep coverage while Diggs moves to the slot to cover a WR. That is a typical nickel defense with Diggs being the 3rd CB. You can run a base defense or nickel defense without making a single substitution, all you have to do is rotate two players who are already on the field. 

You can do the same going between nickel and dime. Just swap Wilson/Killebrew for Tabor/Lawson. Diggs would be a safety in nickel sets. He would be rotated down in the slot in dime sets (with Quin as a single high safety). Same players, no substitution, but different "personnel" because of the versatility of a guy like Diggs.

Archived