Weston Richburg to sign 5 year deal

NcFinest9erFan

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Love it. With Kilgore at C, I was hoping we'd get two great Gs to compensate. If Richburg is as good as Kyle seems to think, then I'm less worried about who we have at G. Of course, we can't just put anyone in there. The better the Gs, the better we'll be. But I'm less concerned about having a question mark like Garnett at one of the spots.

Now I'm really curious what the staff really thinks of Trent Brown. Why isn't he extended yet? Will he be? Will we draft someone? Will we trade him? Are we using this next season to further our evaluation? That, to me, is a complete mystery. I know Kyle has said that Brown is "the best pass blocker he has ever seen", but to me, that's very suspect. It's like when someone asks you how is that new girl you're dating, and all you have to say is "She's very nice and smells great". Yes, you're giving an opinion, but you're not giving your full opinion, you're not really committing yourself. Maybe she's very nice, but she's really bad in bed, and she hates dogs. When Kyle says he's an amazing pass blocker, is he just hiding the fact that he's not really a good run blocker, that he doesn't have the athleticism to block in space and be a great piece of the outzide zone scheme? Listening to Kyle talk is like looking at abstract art. It's often what's not in the picture that is the most telling, and the negative space.

24 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Love it. With Kilgore at C, I was hoping we'd get two great Gs to compensate. If Richburg is as good as Kyle seems to think, then I'm less worried about who we have at G. Of course, we can't just put anyone in there. The better the Gs, the better we'll be. But I'm less concerned about having a question mark like Garnett at one of the spots.

Now I'm really curious what the staff really thinks of Trent Brown. Why isn't he extended yet? Will he be? Will we draft someone? Will we trade him? Are we using this next season to further our evaluation? That, to me, is a complete mystery. I know Kyle has said that Brown is "the best pass blocker he has ever seen", but to me, that's very suspect. It's like when someone asks you how is that new girl you're dating, and all you have to say is "She's very nice and smells great". Yes, you're giving an opinion, but you're not giving your full opinion, you're not really committing yourself. Maybe she's very nice, but she's really bad in bed, and she hates dogs. When Kyle says he's an amazing pass blocker, is he just hiding the fact that he's not really a good run blocker, that he doesn't have the athleticism to block in space and be a great piece of the outzide zone scheme? Listening to Kyle talk is like looking at abstract art. It's often what's not in the picture that is the most telling, and the negative space.

Just remember that he said some really nice things about Kilgore just a few days ago. " When you come across players who love the game like Dan you do your best to keep them in your building." ... at least until you find their replacement.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Just remember that he said some really nice things about Kilgore just a few days ago. " When you come across players who love the game like Dan you do your best to keep them in your building." ... at least until you find their replacement.

Exactly. Compliments from Kyle seem to be the kiss of death.

• 11 months later...
Just now, John232 said:

Bump, since people are trashing the Richburg signing 1 year after the fact when he played most of it injured. 

DAMN IT, THAT'S TWO SEASONS IN A ROW THAT HE'S PLAYED HURT. AT THIS POINT CAN WE EVEN COUNT ON HIM TO EVER BE HEALTHY????

Just now, John232 said:

Yeah, not sure. Kind of like Jordan Hicks ;)

At least Jordan Hicks doesn't miss a million tackles a game...At least Jordan Hicks didn't get suspended four games for a PED suspension....At least Jordan Hicks isn't coming off an ACL injury. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

At least Jordan Hicks doesn't miss a million tackles a game...At least Jordan Hicks didn't get suspended four games for a PED suspension....At least Jordan Hicks isn't coming off an ACL injury. 

Ramble post. 

And Jordan Hicks still missed more time. Jordan HIcks also played with one of the leagues best defensive lines in front of him. Jordan Hicks is the better player but there's an incredible amount of risk with Hicks and you seem to not want to acknowledge that at all. 

And Kwon Alexander misses tackles, but that  can A) Be cleaned up, as we see players get better at this all the time. B) is a product of quite literally being one of two other people on that defense capable of stopping the run, meaning he and David were constantly the only people in position in the open field, he played behind the worst defensive line in the league. How do you 

Not excusing it, undoubtedly a bad spot to his game, but I feel like you're acting like Kwon is absolute trash and that  HIcks is all-pro and I just don't see that much of a difference between them. 

My bumping this thread is just pointing out that 1 year into a players contract shouldn't be enough to throw him in the trash bin.  If Richburg repeats last years performance  going into year two, I'm not going to argue it. Just comes off as extremely revisionist at this point to throw this under another abject Lynch Failure. 

My feelings on our FA is that they the came into this team, completely devoid of NFL talent and had to overpay to get even average players to come here. Last year, Richburg was relatively well regarded not just by us fans, but in general so I think the signing was appropriate. 

Jerrick was awful. 

Two years ago: We literally cleared out our whole receiving group because not a single one was NFL worthy outside of maybe Bruce Ellington and Jeremy Kerley. Easily replaceable people. Well, if Shanny want's his team to actually be able to grow and run his offense..gotta sign some guys who can function it..Enter..Pierre Garcon and Marquis Goodwin.

One great value in Goodwin, one not so great value in Garcon. But unlike the Jerrick signing, I actually liked and understood the Garcon signing, with the possibility of bringing in a young QB or Cousins, having players who could transition with Shanny's complex system were a huge need. And honestly, he played well enough at the start of the season, it's not unreasonable to assume he actually could have somewhat played to the value of the contract. Sure enough he, like Mckinnon, gets a god awful injury that completely changed his career outlook. 

Juice: Overpay for a FB but the money isn't that much and he's pretty easily the best at his position. Really don't care for people whining ab out this one. Just petty and splitting hairs.

Malcom Smith: Pretty easily the worst signing this team has made. Literally no point to it and he's been Jordan Hicks level injured for two seasons now. Just a complete waste of money. 

James Carpenter?  I mean..was it even that much? we lost some roll over money? 

Maybe we should do a topic on Lynch after this FA just to see where people stand on him on a whole. Right now ii'm 60/40 on him. 

The 4 things that really grind my gears with lynch:

Picking Thomas, not acquiring more edge talent because of Thomas..and Marsh, Signing Smith, signing Mckinnon. Everything else I can pretty much stomach as they haven't had long term impact. But he's also done some good things.

I’m not sure I was back yet when this signing took place but I’m fairly certain my reaction would have been optimistic and a wait and see approach with Richburg. I want him gone now, I understand he played hurt but so does every football player to an extent. To what extent was Richburg injured? I’m not sure we really know but if he could suit up and take every snap it couldn’t have been that bad. When a terrible OL at the time let’s you walk like the Giants did I’m not sure thats a great sign. He was used and abused often this year, let’s draft his replacement sooner rather than later so we dont have another season of “oh he’s hurt, but who else do we have.” That’s not a fun game.

5 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I’m not sure I was back yet when this signing took place but I’m fairly certain my reaction would have been optimistic and a wait and see approach with Richburg. I want him gone now, I understand he played hurt but so does every football player to an extent. To what extent was Richburg injured? I’m not sure we really know but if he could suit up and take every snap it couldn’t have been that bad. When a terrible OL at the time let’s you walk like the Giants did I’m not sure thats a great sign. He was used and abused often this year, let’s draft his replacement sooner rather than later so we dont have another season of “oh he’s hurt, but who else do we have.” That’s not a fun game.

I mean..the whole reason he left NYG was because he wanted to play and they IR'd because of his concussion, at least as I understand it..  He was incredibly pissed about it iirc. His injury this year was a ligament injury that he played on for I want to say 3/4 season, but again, Could be wrong. But it was bad enough he got surgery *shrug*. The Giants also had 2 other adequate centers being payed pennies. it just made financial sense for them to focus there resources elsewhere

Spotrac has his opt out in 2021 with minimal deadcap, if he's still playing like booty this year, I'd imagine we start pursuing other options and rightfully so.  

Archived