Weston Richburg to sign 5 year deal

NcFinest9erFan

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Okay cool, I was about 5 off. Was already subtracting for rookies. That's still a good amount of space, even with front load on the contracts

Whenever I did an offseason simulation, I couldn't utilize the space fully, even with front loaded contracts and sometimes including relatively unreasonable signings. I think that we are all aware that it is such an abundant resource that it must be used wherever possible to help supply us in future years when cap space will be a scarcer resource and with 1 year overpays that improve the team's depth and ceiling. Jimmie Ward isn't happening without it. Prolly not McKinnon, either (though Juice's contract may invalidate this line of thought). Getting to push a ton of money into this year's cap allowed for a silly overall deal that got a skillset that we were starving for without touching scarce resources. This includes the scarce value of draft capital because it also frees up one of our first 5 round picks, as we no longer NEED to select a pass catching RB or a versatile secondary player for depth in order to not be caught with our pants down. We can just go get the guy that we think has the best overall value. 

Maiocco wisely hedging his bets on where he thinks Richburg plays:

The 49ers have not tipped their hand, yet, about where they envision Richburg playing. He is currently listed as a center/guard. He has not played guard since his rookie season, so it would figure that center would be the spot for him. The 49ers reached a contract extension with Kilgore in the offseason. He started every game last season at center. He might get a shot at guard. 

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/after-filling-needs-first-day-heres-what-expect-49ers-offseason

42 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Maiocco wisely hedging his bets on where he thinks Richburg plays:

The 49ers have not tipped their hand, yet, about where they envision Richburg playing. He is currently listed as a center/guard. He has not played guard since his rookie season, so it would figure that center would be the spot for him. The 49ers reached a contract extension with Kilgore in the offseason. He started every game last season at center. He might get a shot at guard. 

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/after-filling-needs-first-day-heres-what-expect-49ers-offseason

This would be the right play, so they better put him there. 

Let me ask you this, would you pay someone over 40 million to play a position they haven't played in like three or four years? And a position where they didn't have much success at? This is why I never understood the Richburg to G talks. Shanny must have liked how Richburg fared at C and wanted him there. Now, at times you draft tackles and draft them at guards and vice versa, but rarely does a big FA signing change positions. 

I think if we trade down, Wynn is a real possibility to be the starting RG. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Let me ask you this, would you pay someone over 40 million to play a position they haven't played in like three or four years? And a position where they didn't have much success at? This is why I never understood the Richburg to G talks. Shanny must have liked how Richburg fared at C and wanted him there. Now, at times you draft tackles and draft them at guards and vice versa, but rarely does a big FA signing change positions. 

I think if we trade down, Wynn is a real possibility to be the starting RG. 

Would I? No. But not everyone is as brilliant as me :)

There have been countless times where coaches have made...lets say questionable personnel decisions. 

18 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I can't possibly imagine him playing G this year. 0% chance. I know the FO or Shanahan hasn't stated anything, but come on. Richburg will be the C. Signing Kilgore was a precaution. Signing Richburg is an upgrade.

Knew it.

20 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You don't sign that man for that much and not expect him to play C when Shanny rates centers above guards. 

Staley-Garnett-Richburg-?-Brown

So who will start at RG? Kilgore? Tomlinson? Magnuson? Rookie? 

Called it.

LOL, now lets all start quoting @Forge's posts in this thread for the laughs......

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Called it.

LOL, now lets all start quoting @Forge's posts in this thread for the laughs......

In fairness, never said I thought he was going to play guard, only that the possibility existed. I said in the other thread, I have to wait until the dust settles and we know where he's playing. I just wasn't going to assume that he was going to play center though, that's all. MM certainly didn't help me, scaring me to death like he did. 

MM is a man of LIES!!!!! LIES I TELL YOU!

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, never said I thought he was going to play guard, only that the possibility existed. I said in the other thread, I have to wait until the dust settles and we know where he's playing. I just wasn't going to assume that he was going to play center though, that's all. MM certainly didn't help me, scaring me to death like he did. 

MM is a man of LIES!!!!! LIES I TELL YOU!

Calm down, Matt!!

Archived