The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

20 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m sure it’s a hard week for Cousins, seems both of his top receivers are trying to out diva each other for the ball. Cousins oddly apologized to one of them and the other isn’t talking/wants out. It’s been a fascinating week. Seems like it’s going to be a long season.

Cousins should just pay their bonus money due to his own ineptitude as a QB. Problem solved.

Gotta feel somewhat for Cousins here.  Yes he's got more money than anyone could ever ask for but it's not his fault the team signed and paid him to all that money to be their starter.

I think it's pretty sad that Thielen and Diggs are behaving this way and calling him out like they have been.  I also heard Zimmer say something like Kirk should stop doing those podcasts and that he's too nice.  That's not how you handle things as a team. 

I'm seeing signs of problems with the leadership on this team.  Saw this happening with the Bears a few years ago under Trestman with guys like Brandon Marshall and Martellus Bennett and that didn't end up turning out so well.

Anyway just my two cents.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Gotta feel somewhat for Cousins here.  Yes he's got more money than anyone could ever ask for but it's not his fault the team signed and paid him to all that money to be their starter.

I think it's pretty sad that Thielen and Diggs are behaving this way and calling him out like they have been.  I also heard Zimmer say something like Kirk should stop doing those podcasts and that he's too nice.  That's not how you handle things as a team. 

I'm seeing signs of problems with the leadership on this team.  Saw this happening with the Bears a few years ago under Trestman with guys like Brandon Marshall and Martellus Bennett and that didn't end up turning out so well.

He’s consistently missing throws. He’s not helping the team win. Is the public criticism fair from his receivers and coaches, probably not? Diggs and Thielen are acting childish and Zimmer has always been a straight shooter. But if Cousins just did his job, we wouldn’t be talking about this. How does he get better going forward. 

21 hours ago, Howler said:

The Vikings are having a hard time displacing second-level defenders and Cousins hasn’t been willing to throw into tight windows. As a result, Minnesota’s intermediate passing game has been non-existent.

Maybe because he doesn't want the entire city of Minnesota to string him up? Take away the guy's confidence and this is the product.

My guess is the conservative head coach pounds it into his head not to turn the ball over. He's gotten worse the longer he's been here, I don't think that is a coincidence....

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

What?   Was it like Cousins said,  "I didn't want 84 millions dollars, to be play for this team, or to be the starter.  I wanted to live at home in my mom's basement, eat pizza,  and play video games all day.  I am only doing it because the stupid Vikings are making me.  It's all their fault"? 

It is not like he didn't have other options.  He chose to be one of the highest paid NFL QBs and has all the responsibilities that come with it.

Just now, Snake Plissken said:

What?   Was it like Cousins said,  "I didn't want 84 millions dollars, to be play for this team, or to be the starter.  I wanted to live at home in my mom's basement, eat pizza,  and play video games all day.  I am only doing it because the stupid Vikings are making me.  It's all their fault"? 

It is not like he didn't have other options.  He chose to be one of the highest paid NFL QBs and has all the responsibilities that come with it.

@topwop1 In addition to what Snake said here, the Jets offered him more, so it is his fault.

Edited by swede700

59 minutes ago, swede700 said:

@topwop1 In addition to what Snake said here, the Jets offered him more, so it is his fault.

Well I mean can you really fault him for that?  Let's be real here Vikings were viewed as a SB contender when he signed whereas Jets were pretty bad.

I think it's safe to say that f we were all in the position he was that we would have done the same thing so good on him for that.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

He’s consistently missing throws. He’s not helping the team win. Is the public criticism fair from his receivers and coaches, probably not? Diggs and Thielen are acting childish and Zimmer has always been a straight shooter. But if Cousins just did his job, we wouldn’t be talking about this. How does he get better going forward. 

It's absolutely fair to expect better production and results from Cousins given his pay grade but I just think it's pretty unprofessional for professional athletes to be calling out their own teammates because they haven't been living up to the expectations. 

It's never a good thing when these types of feeling become public.  I get Theilen, Diggs and the rest of the guys want to win and be productive for their teams in doing so but I don't see how this gets Kirk to play better..it only damages the guy's confidence more IMO. 

He is what he is at this point. Unfortunately they have to roll with him right now because there's not many better options available.

Thielen and Diggs just have to shut up and do their jobs the best they can.  

• Like 1

Every time I turned on a sports show on TV, or read posting on line this week, the Vikings have been the top story for all the wrong reasons.  It's like the team is a wounded seal in shark infested waters.

I have never been a fan of Cousins, and have roundly criticized the Vikings for the signing.  And while his play is partly responsible for the predicament that the Vikings are facing in the moment, even I realize, he's not the whole problem.  With the exception of O'Neill, the offensive line has been mainly the same line we've seen the last few seasons.  I'm glad that the Minnesota line isn't the US Army, 'cause they wouldn't be able to stop an invasion North Korean grandmothers!!  The passing game has not been well schemed by the coaching staff, in my opinion. Leadership seems to be absent, at least on the offensive side of the ball.  The defense has been mostly great...if only they could score more points!  And, of course there is Cousins, Theilen and Diggs.  Somehow this team is still 2-2.

I don't know what the rest of this season holds.  It's possible that the passing game could catch fire, and the offensive line could start blocking better.  That could happen...and I hope that it does...but I'm not counting on it.  I think Kirk Cousins is now damaged goods.  If he cannot turn it around the Diggs and Theilen complaints will infect other players...they will start to point all the blame towards Kirk when there's a lot of criticism to go around.  Unfortunately, Cousins has lived up to my low expectations of him.  The line, the receivers, and the coaches need to help him and help him constantly.  Are they capable?  We'll see.

@Virginia Viking check out the link I posted a few posts above your last one. 

Kirk has had the most time to throw this year. I think he had the 5th or 6th most time to throw last week against the Bears. He IS the reason this offense is held back, he's refusing to push the ball down the field for whatever reason. He's left a lot of opportunities on the field and that is what needs to change. I still have faith he'll be able to start connecting on more of those opportunities. 

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

@Virginia Viking check out the link I posted a few posts above your last one. 

Kirk has had the most time to throw this year. I think he had the 5th or 6th most time to throw last week against the Bears. He IS the reason this offense is held back, he's refusing to push the ball down the field for whatever reason. He's left a lot of opportunities on the field and that is what needs to change. I still have faith he'll be able to start connecting on more of those opportunities. 

Yeah...I don't know what to think about that stat.  But, I do agree that he's been way to conservative in his choice of receivers.  And...obviously, he's playing like he's pretty rattled.  I expect he will play better against the Giants and Washington.  It's the better teams and better defenses that I worry about.  Chiefs, Cowboys, Eagles, Seahawks, 49'ers, Chargers, Bears are all teams that could give Cousins the yips.  Green Bay and Detroit will be tough as well.  All these games are opportunities for Kirk.

I'm actually starting to worry a little about this game against the Giants.  They are in a situation where this should have been an almost automatic "W".  The only thing is that we all know how Kirk handles pressure situations and although there shouldn't be much onfield pressure, there is definitely pressure building in the locker room and a lot of outside noise from fans and the media.  I hope Kirk is able to put this all out of his mind and play his game on the field.  If he can't, it could play a role in the outcome of this game.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:21 AM, vikingsrule said:

If he’s not an effective QB now, why give him another year? If they don’t turn this thing around in the next month, may as well throw Mannion out there.

Do you think Mannion is going to get us anywhere?  I just don't see it happening.  Might as well stick with Kirk for the rest of the season as long as we're stuck paying him.

28 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Do you think Mannion is going to get us anywhere?  I just don't see it happening.  Might as well stick with Kirk for the rest of the season as long as we're stuck paying him.

Agreed.  There's absolutely no way I'm throwing that statue out there.  

• Like 1